!! Connaught Journal; May 13, 1824 "Galway Dispensary"

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 14, 2004
      Galway, Thursday, May 13, 1824

      TOWN OF GALWAY DISPENSARY
      This excellent Institution, established in 1822, although still in its
      infancy, has been of incalculable service to the numerous and destitute Poor of
      the Town and County of the Town of Galway.- From the great extent of teh County
      of the Town, and its vast population, the applicants for relief must necessarily
      be many, and the duties of the Physician arduous and troublesome. The care and
      attention of Thomas O'Maley, Esq. Physician and Surgeon to the Institution, has
      given very general satisfaction; and we believe a more humane, zealous, or
      efficient Professional Gentleman, could not possibly be selected. During the
      preceding year there were a vast number attended and supplied with medicine; and
      since the first of last January, up to the present day, there has been upwards
      of 1000 applicants for relief, who have received medical advice and attendance.
      From the strict economy rigorously adhered to in this Institution, the poor are
      essentially benefitted, and that at a very inconsiderable expence. The thanks
      and gratitude of the poor are due to those respectable Gentlemen who compose the
      Committee, for the diligence and anxiety they manifest for the Establishment. We
      understand it is in contemplation to render the Institution of still greater
      public utility, by adding an Infirmary to it, on a limited scale, sufficient for
      the reception of patients afflicted with inveterate disease, whose casual
      attendance, on Dispensary days, would retard their recovery. We hope the
      Committee will accomplish this object, as in diseases of a serious nature it is
      essentially necessary that the Physician should be afforded every facility in
      attending and prescribing for the patient.

    • Susan Patterson
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 14, 2004
        I love these old snippets, Cathy. Please keep them coming.
        I have a few from reading the papers when in Cork a few years ago. I could
        post them if you wanted me to do so.
        However,I will be away for the next two weeks, in America !
        Susan