!! Connaught Journal; May 13, 1824 "Galway Items"

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2004
      Galway, Thursday, May 13, 1824

      LINEN TRADE
      For the sake of our rising manufacturers, we are happy to state, that that
      very active office of the Board, Mr. Inspector General Besnard, may be expected
      here in the course of this week. He left Cork for Limerick on his way hither on
      Monday last-one of the Dutch farmers accompanies him and they go hence to Tuam,
      in the neighbourhood of which they are to inspect some flax, cultivated
      according to the Dutch plan. This is gratifying intelligence to these who are so
      laudably, and, we may say, so successfully endeavouring to introduce the Course
      Linen Trade into this neighborhood.

      SABBATH BREAKING
      This disgraceful and shameful practice will, in future, be prevented in
      this town-and we are extremely happy at it. John Lushington Reilly, Esq. one of
      our Churchwardens for the present year, has publicly notified his intention of
      suppressing the evil; and we expect the local authorities will co-operate with
      him. A few fines imposed, and rigrously exacted, will effectually accomplish
      this desirable object.

      SPORTING INTELLIGENCE
      There will be races held at Loughrea and Tuam during the present summer.
      The attendance at Loughrea last year was most numerous and respectable; and the
      excellent running afforded great entertainment. We anticipate similar sport this
      summer.

      COCK-FIGHTING
      We understand it is intended by the Gentlemen of Tuam and Athenry to have a
      grand main of cock-fighting in the ensuing month.
      ----
      A troop of the 5th Dragoon Guards (Green Horse) under the command of Major
      Walker, arrived here on Monday last, on their route to Ballinrobe. They received
      excellent accommodation at Connolly's hotel.

      TO BE LET
      For such term as may be agreed upon,
      From the first of May instant,
      SEAFIELD-LODGE,
      With OFFICES and GARDEN, &c. and about 32 acres of Land, of excellent
      quality; also, 85 acres of the
      Lands of Darfield,
      Near Loughrea.
      Written proposals (post paid) to be addressed to Robert Blake, Esq. Temple
      street, Dublin; or Henry Blake, Esq. Seafield, Oranmore.
      May 13, 1824.