!! Ballina Chronicle; Aug 8, 1849

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2003
      Wednesday, August 8, 1849

      Mr. O'Connell has contracted to supply the Limerick union with wool at 13s.
      6d per stone.

      "CONTEMPLATED SUICIDE"
      From a paragraph under this head in the Tyrawly Herald of Thursday last, it
      would appear that a woman named Catherine Cunningham deliberately attempted to
      destroy herself. The circumstance occurred the night previous to our last
      publication, and so closely concealed were the facts connected with it that we
      could not venture with accuracy on the details. We did not, however, suffer the
      subject to escape our attention, especially as we are doubted the woman would
      attempt self-destruction solely from the motive for more strictly speaking the
      absence of any motive hinted at by the Herald, and from the little information
      we have been able to collect we consider it absolutely necessary that the matter
      should be brought under the consideration of a bench of magistrates. Granting
      that it was a case of contemplated suicide, with which a second person was not
      immediately connected, the guilty party should be arrested and taken before a
      magistrate, who, in acting in conformity with law, would be required to order
      her detention in custody, unless on her entering into a recognizance with two
      sufficient securities, conditioned that she would not attempt again a similar
      act.
      This is the proper legal course, and this course we call upon the parties
      whose duty it is to pursue, and then the real facts of the case will come to
      light from the evidence of the Rev. James Cawley, "who was passing at the time,"
      and of Constable Phibs, "who was fortunately walking by and immediately plunged
      into the water and rescued an erring female from a watery grave." When it is
      deserving we are always ready to do our part in rewarding real merit, and
      certainly we cannot now withhold our commendation of Constable Phibbs's conduct
      on this occasion where a life would have been, in all probability, lost, were it
      not for his timely and courageous assistance.