!! Connaught Journal; May 6, 1824 "Galway Schools"

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 20, 2004
      Galway, Thursday, May 6, 1824

      PAROCHIAL FREE SCHOOL
      "We are glad to find that the New Parochial School room is likely to be
      commenced forthwith. His Excellency the Lord Lieutenant has been pleased to
      grant a sum of £250, which, with the liberal subscriptions entered into by the
      Parishioners, will enable the Committee to make a handsome and commodious
      building. Certainly nothing could be more wanting; - the ruinous state of the
      present School room has frequently been noticed by the numerous visitors to this
      town."--Galway Advertiser.

      THE PAROCHIAL FREE-SCHOOLS OF ST. NICHOLAS, GALWAY.
      The Memorial of the Very Reverend Edmond Ffrench, Roman Catholic Warden of
      Galway, on behalf of Thirty Thousand Poor Inhabitants of said Towns, to his
      Excellency Marquis Wellesley, Lord Lieutenant General and General Governor of
      Ireland,
      HUMBLY SHEWETH,
      That your Memorialist contemplating the Establishment of an Institution
      calculated to extend the great blessings of Education to the Children of a poor
      community, the most numerous and destitute in this Kingdom, had purchased in
      June last, the Lombard Barracks of Galway, under the benevolent auspices of your
      Excellency, for the sum of £500, in order to convert them into Lancastarian
      Schools of public instruction.
      That your Memorialist's Funds (after deducting the aforesaid purchase)
      amount to £895-the interest thereof, together with the annual subscriptions,
      charity sermons, &c, may produce something more than £100 yearly, which your
      Memorialist is desirous to preserve AS A PROVISION for the PAYMENT OF MASTERS
      AND UPHOLDING THE ESTABLISHMENT.
      That your Memorialist is now engaged in building by subscription
      appropriate Schools thereon (which will amount by moderate calculation to the
      sum of £700) for the accommodation of upwards of 1200 poor children, most humbly
      prays your Excellency shall deem meet, towards the accomplishment of said
      Schools, and furnishing them with the necessary desks, forms, books, stationary,
      &c., &c.
      And your Memorialist will ever pray,
      EDMOND FFRENCH.
      Roman Catholic Warden of Galway.
      February 20, 1824.
      _________________
      HIS EXCELLENCY'S ANSWER
      Dublin Castle, 26th March, 1824.
      SIR- The Lord Lieutenant having taken into consideration your application
      for assistance from the Grant of Parliament, to enable you to build a
      School-House in the Parish of Galway, I am to acquaint to you that the proposed
      object of this application being to save funds in hand which are expected to
      yield an income of £100 a-year, his Excellency does not consider it a case which
      demands a Grant from the School Fund at his Excellency's disposal.
      I have the honor to be, Sir,
      Your most obedient humble servant,
      W. GREGORY,
      The Rev. Edmond French, Galway.

      CHARITABLE INSTITUTIONS- EARL OF CLANRICARDE.
      We cannot refuse the need of our applause to the Noble Earl, for his almost
      unbounded benevolence. Scarcely has he had time to discover the names of the
      numerous charitable institutions that within the few last years have sprung up
      amongst us, when we have to record some act of mumificient generosity towards
      each of them:- Ten Pounds to the Presentation School; Ten Pounds to the
      Dispensary; and Twenty Pounds to the New Parochial Free-School.