Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

!! Ballina Chronicle; Nov 14, 1849 "5th November in Ulster"

Expand Messages
  • Cathy Joynt Labath
    BALLINA CHRONICLE Ballina, Mayo, Ireland Wednesday, November 14, 1849 THE FIFTH OF NOVEMBER IN ULSTER The anniversary of this great Protestant deliverance has
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16, 2004
    • 0 Attachment
      Ballina, Mayo, Ireland
      Wednesday, November 14, 1849

      The anniversary of this great Protestant deliverance has come and passed
      away in Ulster, amidst the most perfect peace, good order, and tranquility. The
      Orangemen of the north have proved themselves worthy of the honorable name they
      bear. They have wisely refrained from any public demonstration to commemorate
      this glorious event so dear to every Protestant heart, and in this we have
      another powerful proof of their desire to pay obedience to those placed over
      them, and to cultivate good will and harmony.
      Here not the slightest public manifestation of feeling was exhibited by the
      Orangemen throughout the day. On Wednesday last a meeting of the masters was
      held in Walker's Hotel, for the purpose of considering what steps should be
      taken with reference to the then approaching 5th of November. The attendance on
      this occasion was very numerous, and after grave deliberations, it was
      unanimously resolved that there should be no procession. The brethern [sic] of
      the district therefore remained quietly at their homesteads during the day, and
      in the evening enjoyed themselves in their respective lodge rooms. The
      precautions of the government were therefore quite unnecessary. The troops in
      Ballynahinch during the day consisted of two companies of the 13th regiment,
      from Belfast, under the command of Major Wilkinson, a troop of the 13th Light
      Dragoons, commanded by Captain Ormsby Gore, M.P. for Sligo, and Sub-Inspector of
      Constabulary, a Head Constable and thirty police, from Dublin, besides the
      permanent local force. S.L. M'Cance, Esq., R.M. remained with the troops in the
      town during the day. The only excitement perceivable in the minds of the people
      was that produced by the presence of so many soldiers and police.
      When I entered this town, now so celebrated, I observed a company of the
      9th regiment drawn up on parade in the centre of the square. On inquiry I found
      the troops stationed here for the day to consist of two companies of the 9th
      regiment from Newry, a troop of the 13th Light dragoons, under the command of
      Captain Holden, and Sub-Inspector Croghan; Head Constable Reilly and fifty
      police, from the county of Louth, together with seven of the local constabulary
      under Head-Constable Wrigth, commanded by Sub-Inspector Janns. Gerald
      Fitzgerald, Esq., R.M., of Ballinasloe, who was sent down by government,
      remained with the troops to give his services if necessary. The Orangemen of
      this district who had not contemplated walking at all in procession, remained at
      their several houses and attended to their individual affairs, as if there had
      not been an anniversary that day.
      After I left Castlewellan, I proceeded direct by the old road to Dolly's
      Brea. To driver a car over this "bone-setting" road is no easy matter, and
      requires not only a good horse but a skilful driver. Its whole surface is marked
      here and there with large stone half above the earth, with deep gullies and cart
      ruts, into which the wheel of the car frequently enters and the shock your
      entire system experiences somewhat resembles that from an electric battery. When
      you arrive at the highest hill on the road, your driver informs you, if you have
      not been there before, that you are just then on Dolly's Brea. From the top you
      command a most extensive view of the surrounding country. The land on either
      sides is of a very inferior description-rocky eminences and bleak and barren
      patches ever where around-and countless multitudes of stone ditches confining
      their stony fields within the smallest divisions. A few miserable huts scattered
      here and there, are to be seen, quite in keeping with the land and scarcely a
      comfortable spot observable, to render the prospect in the slightest degree
      cheering. When I reached the top of Dolly's Brea, instead of seeing armed bands
      of Ribbonmen strongly entrenched with murderous intent, to dispute the pass, as
      to some extent anticipated in Castlewellan, the only living things I could
      perceive were six policemen, armed, patrolling about, and shivering in the
      bitter blast that swept over the hill, two very ugly brown goats, and three
      crows that appeared to be industriously engaged in making experiments on some
      diseased tubers in a potato field. I left the aforesaid policemen, goats, and
      crows, to the uninterrupted enjoyment of their respective pursuits; and having
      passed over Dolly's Brea, proceeded to
      This hill, the scene of the late fatal conflict, is about a quarter of a
      mile distant from Dolly's Brea. I could see nothing worthy of notice here at
      all. The scene of the Ribbon encampment both on the morning and evening of the
      12th, and the first and second parallels behind which the Ribbonmen were posted,
      were, to be sure, seen; but this was all. The patrol of police on Dolly's Brea
      commanded a full view of the Magheramayo hill.
      This town remained in a state of perfect quietness and tranquility during
      the day. The Orangemen made no exhibition of feeling whatever. Every precaution
      was taken by the police to guard against any collisions. Sub-Inspector Hill and
      a number of his men were out all night of the 4th, patrolling the country in
      various directions, having heard that the Ribbonmen from Cooly, Meath, and
      Armagh, were determined to assemble on an "eligible sight" to be ready to oppose
      with pitchfork, pike, and musket, the Orangemen and women, should they resolve
      of walking. The police returned to barracks after six o'clock on Monday morning,
      and not having observed any body of people, as they had reason to suspect. In
      the evening, I understand, the Orangemen assembled in their lodge-rooms and
      enjoyed themselves most convivially. During the day the town was literally
      filled with troops, consisting of two companied of the 55th regiment from
      Dublin, under the command of Major Daubeney, one troop of the 13th Light
      Dragoons, under Captain Oldham, from Dundalk, sixty constabulary from Dublin,
      under Sub-Inspector Warburton, and twenty of the local police, all under the
      command of Sub-Inspector Hill, of Rathfriland. All the military were under arms
      from eight o'clock in the morning to turn out at a moment's notice. The
      stipendiary magistrate present was Bartholomew Warburton, Esq., from
      Baltinglass, in the county of Wicklow.
      As soon as the Orangemen of Hilltown saw Lord Roden's letter they
      immediately and unanimously resolved not to walk in procession on the 5th. The
      troops in this town consisted of one company of the 55th regiment, a troop of
      the 17th Lancers from Dublin, and a head constable and thirty police. The day
      passed off quietly, not the slightest breach of the peace that I could learn
      having occurred. The Orangemen enjoyed themselves in their lodge rooms in the
      evening. The stipendiary magistrate who was temporarily sent down to act with
      the troops here was Mr. Barron, who had lately been sworn in Dublin as a
      magistrate for the county of Down.
      This little town is situated about four miles from Castlewellan, on the
      road to Downpatrick. The Orangemen here also resolved not to walk in procession,
      and they faithfully carried out their resolution. In the evening they partook of
      refreshments in their lodge rooms.
      No procession here throughout the day. The Orangemen acted with their
      brethren in the other districts, and resolved not to walk. The utmost respect
      and obedience were paid to Lord Roden's letter. In the evening the Orangemen sat
      down to a splendid dinner in their lodge rooms, in Bridge-street, kept by Mr.
      Wm. Gray.
      The troops stationed in Downpatrick during the day, consisted of
      thirty-three men of the 13th Light Dragoons, under Captain White, sixty rank and
      file of the 9th regiment, and thirty-three policemen, twenty-five of whom,
      including a head constable, were sent from Dublin. They were all under the
      command of Major Powell, of the 75th regiment, from Enniskillen. The stipendiary
      magistrate who had been sent down for the occasion was Neal Browne, Esq., from
      the Queen's County.
      This place, which is the grand rendezvous for the Ribbonmen on every 17th
      of March, and well-known as the scene of Ribbon outrage and murder on last
      Patrick's Day, was unusually quiet on Monday. The Orangemen of the district did
      not depart from the rule so stringently urged by their brethren throughout
      Ulster; but in the evening, I was informed, they spent a few convivial hours in
      their lodge rooms.
      No additional police was ordered to this town on Monday. The small party
      already stationed here were amply sufficient to discharge the duty. The
      Orangemen had no procession whatever, and the evening was spent convivially in
      their lodge rooms.--Abridged from the Belfast Chronicle.

      Cathy Joynt Labath
      Ireland Old News
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.