!! Connaught Journal; May 6, 1824 "Thomas O'Sullivan Letter"

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2004
      Galway, Thursday, May 6, 1824

      HANGED OR NOT HANGED- OR PROVINCIAL VERACITY!
      To the Irish Observer
      SIR- A paper called the Limerick Chronicle, which was received in the
      county Cork on the 10th of April, stating that I was hanged on that day, which
      was the cause of great grief and other inconvenience to my relations, the
      O'Sullivans, in that county. Now this is to request that your Worship would be
      so good as to allow me to say, contrary to any thing that the Limerick Chronicle
      may allege to that effect, that I am not hanged, nor was not hanged upon that
      day-for I am still alive and well, thank God-though the Chronicle was so good as
      to give my dying declaration.
      Now, Sir, further to prove that I am alive, I beg your pardon to state that
      the Papers, as I am told, which gave an account of my execution at two o'clock
      was printed at eleven the same day, and this, I think, is full confirmation of
      the fact of my being alive, seeing that the Gentlemen of the Chronicle newspaper
      could not know at eleven what took place at two.- So, Sir, your humble servants
      to command.--- THOMAS O'SULLIVAN.
      County Gaol, Limerick, April 30, 1824.
      Nota bene My first cousin Murry O____ went into morning and Judy my aunt's
      sister was murdered with the grief. See what comes of Irish news, Sir.
      I enclose the two paragraphs from the Limerick Chronicle:-
      "Morning Edition, April 10.
      "This day, at two o'clock, Thomas Sullivan was hanged in the front of the
      county gaol, for attempting to murder Mr. Nagle, near Kilmallock. Sullivan
      stated that he was in the conspiracy, but absent when the attempt was made to
      murder Mr. Nagle."
      "Evening Edition, same day.
      "Last night, an order to stay the execution of Thomas Sullivan, until next
      Saturday, was received by the County Sheriff. At four o'clock this afternoon,
      Thomas Sheahan, who was ?led on the same charge as Sullivan, for cutting the
      throat of Mr. Nagle, near Kilmallock, was hanged in front of the new gaol, and
      fully acknowledged the justice of his sentence."

      We are informed from the most respectable authority, that the Very Rev. Mr
      M'Namara, R.C. Dean of Limerick, has been appointed to the parish of Shanagolden
      vacant by the death of the late Incumbent. The Rev. Mr. Moore, of Glennon,
      succeeds to the parish of Loughmore, lately held by the Dean; and the Rev. Mr.
      Buckley, Curate of Bruff, has been nominated to the parish of Glenroe, in the
      room of the Rev. Mr. Moore.
      [Observer.