!! Connaught Journal; May 6, 1824 "Co Clare News"

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 2004
      THE CONNAUGHT JOURNAL
      Galway, Thursday, May 6, 1824

      PROVINCIAL INTELLIGENCE

      ENNIS, APRIL 29- On Sunday night last, a house was burned on the lands of
      Ballyvannon, near Tomgreany, on the property of Lord Dunboyne. This part of the
      county (Clare) we regret to say, is in a disturbed state.
      A substantial dwelling house, 5 1/4 feet in length, the property of Thomas
      Morony, Esq. in the village of Cloo?ceclare, and barony of Moyarta, which had
      been voluntarily surrendered by the late tenant, and was previously unoccupied
      for some weeks, was wantonly set on fire by some evil minded person, on the
      night of Easter Monday, and totally consumed. On the ensuing night, the house of
      a poor man, named Eames, in the above village, was attempted to be set fire to,
      but the flame was extinguished before much damage was done. We understand
      apprehensions are entertained that the incendiary spirit of the eastern baronies
      is beginning to spread itself into the hitherto peaceable one of Moyarta.
      A meeting of the Magistrates of this county took place at the Court-house
      on Monday, when it was unanimously resolved that no reduction should take place
      in the number of Police (which consists of two hundred constables) at present in
      the county Clare.

      ENNIS, MAY 1- On Thursday morning last two men were brought into town by
      the police, charged with having on the night previous, with their faces
      blackened, forcibly searched several houses for one of the prosecutors of the
      Burns' at the last Assizes, one of whom was executed, and the other is still in
      our Gaol under sentence of death, for the murder of Bridget Cullinan, at
      Moyrhee, in the year 1818. They have been committed to prison.