!! Freeman Journal; Feb 7, 1764 "SPUGGING"

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 9, 2004
      Freeman Journal
      Dublin, Ireland
      Tuesday, Feb. 7, 1764

      SPUGGING- I fancy he never heard or thought of, as 'twas not practis'd during
      his Existence, it being a new invented Method for employing Time; nor did I
      (tho' I'm impertinently perhaps prying into the Concerns of the Ladies) ever
      hear of it, till within these four or five Months last. This Amusement is, viz.
      About two or three o'Clock in the Morning a Company of Males and Females meet,
      they are always of the better Sort of People; inshort (as the Phrase is)
      Gentlemen and Ladies, for this is an Entertainment practis'd by none else, 'tis
      too refin'd and polite for vulgar Creatures to experience its beauteous
      Delicacies, or know any Thing of it; I say they meet after all the old People of
      the House, Pappa, Mamma, &c. have comfortably enjoyed their first Naps, and
      after a little hoydening go to Tea, Coffee, &c. commonly too the Spuggers regale
      themselves with a chearful Glass of Wine or Punch after Tea; and then (to
      settler their Heads) feast upon Mutton-Chops, or Beef-Stakes, which Mrs.
      Superstition (the Lady of the House) never once dream'd of, tho' she has
      frequently a Fore-knowledge (by Dreams) into Futurity, and knows of very
      remarkable Occurence that happens in her Family, and indeed she imagin'd
      sometime before one of her Daughters threw herself away, that a Gentleman in a
      Blue-Coat kiss'd her, which she always knew was a certain Sign of Deceit or
      Falshood; but to the Spuggers, after a vast deal of Playing extinguishing the
      Candles, &c. as you'll see concerning the She-Romps in the 2?7th Number of the
      Spectater, differing in this Respect, that the She-Romps did not permit Male V
      ????? to enter their Club, whereas a Spugg, could not be without that Lordly
      Creature Man to grace it.
      I must go now to enumerate the many vile as well as melancholy Consequences
      which have already attended Spugging; let it suffice to say, that if a Gentleman
      proves rude to a Lady (in the Dark) she has no Remedy except she chuses to
      forfeit the Pleasure of her Parents; calling out, or making a Resistance or
      Noise may disturb the old People, &c. &c. &c. I think in the Whole Ladies, by
      these kind of nocturnal or (I should say) early Revelings and Visitings, hazard
      their Reputations (with some specious Reasons indeed) to the malicious Censure
      of every wicked Tea-Table surrounded by Matrons too old to share in those
      Doeish, out of the Way Sports. We have even many gay LOTHARIOS amongst us,
      Who talk of Beauties that they never saw,
      And fancy Raptures that they never knew.
      who think it no Crime to boast of being till such an Hour in the Chamber of a
      fair Lady; and by their Gesturesd, Winks and Nods will intimate the Worst that
      could possibly happen on such Occasions.
      Were you ye Fair but cautious whom you trust,
      Did ye but know how seldom Fools are just,
      So many of your Sex would not be in vain
      Of broken Vows, and faithless Men complain, &c.
      I'm pretty sure there are many Girls who are fond of Spuggs.
      Sweet virtuous innocent with ev'ry Grace
      That e'er adorn'd that latest softest Race,
      But, Gentlemen, a Woman ought not only to be virtuous, but all the Earth
      should think her so; a Female might as well in reality be a Prostitute as
      imagined so, that is in this World, in the next there's indeed an immense
      Difference. What a shocking Creature a Woman is who has lost her virgin
      Innocence? She is a poor Wretch (as Mr. Roe says) "Scorn'd by the Women, and
      pittyed by the Men; oh! insupportable a Woman cuts as despicable a Figure
      depriv'd of her Honour, as a Man does who is branded with the odious Name of
      Rascally Coward. 'Tis just the same Case, a Woman's Honour is center'd in her
      Virtue, and a Man's in his Courage and Resolution.
      Now if Ladies employed their leasure Hours in reading, working or Household
      Matters (which ought never to be left unheeded by the Female Sex, let them be
      ever so grandly oppulent) 'twould turn out more to their Advantages, and get
      them match'd off sooner than labouring at their Indianlike or rather Savage
      Custom of Painting, also Patching, Scouring, Adorning, Admireing, Spugging,
      Gadding, Villifying, with various other numerous Absurdities, which they are
      unhappily guilty of, and are indeed incident to _________.
      I almost forgot to mention one of the important Ceremonies made use of by
      the Spuggers; after they have finish'd their within Door Work, they (however
      incredible to believe) sally into the Streets, (Men and Women) and with their
      horrid Screaming, Bauling, Laughing, and Singing alarm the whole Town, and
      disturb honest Trades-Folks who were beguiling the Labours of the foregoing Day,
      in sweet and peaceful Slumber. In a short Time the Women will grow more
      shameless than ever Men were; and those of the Masculine Gender (like Cambyses)
      will gradually fall into unmanly Sloath and Italian Effeminancy, and betake
      themselves to the Distaff, and Needle-Work, which the Offspring of Eve have now
      entirely thrown aside, and diligently taken to the more reigning Employments,
      and modish Qualification of _____.
      Placing Raillery in Railing,
      Will tell aloud your greatest Failing,
      Nor makes a Scruple to expose
      Your bandy Leg, or crooked Nose.
      Can at her Morning Tea run o'er
      The Scandal of the Day before,
      Improving hourly in her Skill,
      To cheat and wrangle at Quadrille,
      In chosing Lace a Critick nice,
      Knows to a Groat, &c. &c.- See the Furniture of a Woman's Mind in
      Swift's Works.-- Vol. 2d
      I am Gentlemen, yours, &c.
      January the 28th 1764. A CENSOR.