!! Ballina Chronicle; Oct 31, 1849 "Ballina Farming Society Awards"

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 17, 2004
      Wednesday, Oct 31, 1849

      BALLINA FARMING SOCIETY'S SHOW AND DINNER
      This society held its first show of stock, green crops, &c., in this town
      on Monday last, and the display exceeded the most sanguine expectations of its
      originators. At five o'clock the members of the society and their friends,
      numbering about eighty, sat down to an excellent dinner provided by Mr. Henry
      Lochran, in one of the large rooms of Mr. Gallagher's new houses, kindly lent
      for the occasion. It was extremely gratifying to see so many of the landlords
      together and to mark the interest each felt in the proceedings. Colonel Gore
      occupied the chair, and after the cloth was removed, introduced the several
      toasts with appropriate remarks, dwelling on the advantages of such societies
      and the great good likely to result from the bringing together so many of the
      landed proprietors and tenant farmers. During the course of the evening several
      very excellent speeches were made in responding to the toasts. Those of Richard
      Burke, Esq., Assistant Poor Law Commissioner who was the chief originator of the
      society, Mr. Fetherstone, from the Royal Agricultural Society, Mr. Halliday and
      Mr. Robert Scott were particularly interesting. Mr. Fetherstone said he seldom
      saw a better breed of cattle than were exhibited that day, but they were sadly
      deficient in feeding, and in any of the infant societies he lately visited he
      did not feel so great an interest as in the Ballina Farming Society. Mr.
      Halliday read the list of successful competitors in stock, which are as
      follows:-
      JUDGES
      Mr. Fetherstone, Mr. Halliday, Mr. Waters, and Mr. O'Connor.
      Best Bull within the district, Fitzherbert Pratt, Esq.
      Prize, Royal Agricultural Society's Medal.
      Best Short-horned Cow in calf or giving milk, Mr. Pratt, Medal.
      Best two-year old Heifer, Francis Knox Orme, Esq., Medal.
      Best yearling Heifer (best in the yard), F.K. Orme, Esq., Hon. Certificate.
      Best Calf dropped in 1849, Mr. Pratt, Hon. Certificate.
      Best Boar, Mr. Hugh Dunlop, Medal.
      Best pen of three Ewes, Edward Howley, Esq., Medal.
      Best Agricultural Stallion, William Mallery, Esq., Large Medal.
      SECOND CLASS
      For the best Milch Cow in calf, or giving milk, Mr. Robert Scott, (very
      fine of her class), £1
      For the best two year old Heifer, Mr. Robert Scott, 15s.
      For the best yearling Heifer, Mr. Thornton Scott, 15s.
      For the best Calf of 1849, Mr. Thomas Scott, 10s.
      For the best Brood Sow, Mr. Robert Scott, £1.
      For the best pen of Sheep (three ewes), no merit.
      THIRD CLASS
      For the best yearling Heifer, Matthew Melvyn, 15s.
      For the best fat Pig, recommended, 10s.
      Best Breed Sow, Charles Timlin, £1.
      Best Firkin of Butter, Mr. Bourke.
      Mr. John Hughes, Practical Instructor for this district, and judge in
      connection with Mr. Ward, agriculturist to J.W. Thompson, Esq., being called
      upon for his report of the successful candidates in the green crop department
      &c., said-
      Mr. Chairman and Gentlemen-Having finished our tour of inspection we have
      to furnish you with a few succinct remarks embodying our opinions of the objects
      of our examination, and containing our decisions as to the successful
      candidates. Though it is not necessary to state, we may be permitted to say that
      we have observed closely, considered maturely, and concluded cautiously. The
      competitors in the First Class for the best cultivated five acres of root crop
      are the Hon. Col Wingfield; Richard Burke, Wm. Orme, Mervyn Pratt, Arthur
      Perkins, Edward Howley, Edward Atkinson, W.H. Halliday, Robert Verschoyle and
      John Symes, Esq. Each of these gentlemen have a very good-some of them very
      excellent-turnips; but without waiting to particulars we may inform you at once
      that for cultivation, regularity, size and value of crop. W. Orme, Esq. is
      entitled to the medal of the Royal Agricultural Society. To assign the relative
      positions of the unsuccessful candidates in the order of merit is almost
      difficult. Edward Howley, Esq. has almost two acres of Mangold Wurzel unequalled
      among the candidates, and if his turnips were somewhat better we would be
      necessitated to award him the Medal. Considering the turnips of the remaining
      competitors in this class, exclusive of any other root crop, we believe that the
      following is the way in which they will stand in the scale of relationship: Mr.
      Verschoyle, Mr. Atkinson, Mr. Pratt, Mr. Symes, Mr. Burke, Col. Wingfield, Mr.
      Halliday, Mr. Perkins. For the extent of crops, Mr. Halliday claims first place,
      having about 60 acres of turnips; but for management, if it were possible to
      make a distinction, we are inclined to think that it is to Mr. Symes the credit
      is due, or rather to his intelligent steward, _____ Ryan. Indeed to notice
      everything that attracted our attention, and which elicited our approbation at
      the time of observation would take more time than we have got to spare, owing to
      the later hour at which we finished our examination. Much praise is due to all
      for their exertions, their example, and their eagerness to improve the system of
      cultivation pursued by the tenantry surrounding them. However, it is unnecessary
      for us to say how high a place they hold in our estimation we will proceed to
      deliver our decisions upon the competitors as they present themselves to us. As
      to the drainage, we can only say that for neatness of execution Mr. Tottenham,
      or rather Mr. Delahunty, the person who conducted his drainage operations,
      deserves the first notice, but the extent being a great object of consideration
      we cannot pronounce our opinion until we receive a statement from each gentleman
      of the quantity he has drained, certified by Mr. Halliday, the inspector, if you
      think it necessary.
      We have now to consider the Second Class, in which there are but two
      candidates- Mr. Robert Scott, who has entered for the best cultivated farm, neat
      cottage, and best cultivated crop of turnips, not less than two estate acres;
      and Mr. Thomas Scott, who has entered for a neat cottage only. Now no prize
      being offered for a neat cottage in the second class, there is consequently no
      competition, and as we have just reason to applaud Mr. Robert Scott's systematic
      farming, his very neat cottage, with beautiful flower knots before the door ,and
      well-managed orchard, together with neatly trimmed hedges, we adjudge him the
      Royal Agricultural Society's Medal. Of Mr. Thomas Scott we could not speak in
      too high terms, for his large and well-formed manure heap, and his excellent
      crop of white Belgian carrots, as well as the general management of his farm,
      but as the entry which he has made does not call for our decision we must take
      leave for the purpose of deciding on the Third and Fourth Class. In it the
      competitors for he best cultivated statute acre of turnips are Patt Dooher,
      Thomas Knight, Richard Fox, Pat Gallagher, and James Watt. To Thomas Knight we
      award the first prize of £1 and to James Watt the second of 10s. For a rood of
      root crop, exclusive of turnips, Richard Cox is the only competitor; and to
      whatever cause it may be attributable, it is so poor a one that we cannot think
      of adjudging it any reward. For a neat cottage there are but two entries-Richard
      Cox and Mathew Keane. To the latter we adjudge the prize, which is £1 for the
      neatness of his home, and the tasty manner in which it is ornamented in front by
      shrubs and flowers. For the best cultivated farm there is no entry, but we
      strongly recommend Thomas Knight for the prize in consequence of the freedom of
      his land from weeds, and its general neatness. Pat Dooher is the only person who
      has entered for a manure heap. It is a pretty large one, but the proportion of
      bog mould is far too great, however, for the purpose of encouraging future
      competition in that line, we think it would be well to give him the second
      prize, which is 10s. For land drained and sub-soiled, Richard Cox is the only
      person who has entered and he is decidedly worthy of consideration for the great
      improvement which he has effected in that respect upon his farm. You will
      exercise your own discretion in giving or withholding any encouragement, as we
      do not wish to say he is deserving of so large a prize as you have offered for
      drainage without having had any competitor. Having now decided upon all cases we
      were called to pass judgment upon, it is unnecessary to offer any further remark
      than that we have acted strictly impartial.
      Mr. Hughes's report was received as very interesting, and all the
      successful competitors severally responded to their Health. The utmost harmony
      prevailed throughout the evening; and from the interest that has been excited
      there is every reason for calculating upon the success of the Ballina Farming
      Society.