!! Ballina Chronicle; Oct 24, 1849 "Cork Election"

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2004
      The Southern Reporter of Tuesday contains a report of the proceedings at a
      meeting of the Lew ward, Cork, held on Monday, for the purpose of electing a
      "trustworthy representative" for the beautiful city, in room of the late Mr. D.
      Callaghan. The chair was taken by Alderman Dowdes, who briefly addressed the
      Mr. Keneally here entered the meeting accompanied by some friends, when the
      people stood up-some cheering for M'Carthy, others for Murphy and others amusing
      themselves with catcall and uproar.
      The Chairman called for silence.
      Voices from the Galleries.- Turn them out-pitch into them- three cheers for
      M'Carthy and Repeal- (Loud and prolonged cheering, whistling and screaming.)
      The Chairman- I want you to determine-(Cries for
      M'Carthy-Kenealy-Murphy-and Repeal) If you do not keep silence-(Here a regular
      shindy was got up in the body of the building. Where one party attempted ,by
      force, to eject another. Nothing could equal the confusion that
      prevailed-whistling, screaming, cheering, groaning and hissing.)
      The Chairman.- Be silent now and let us proceed. When the resolutions are
      put it is for you to affirm or reject them.
      A Voice- Three cheers for Kenneally. (Great uproar and cries of "Put him
      out," "Throw him out.")
      Mr. O'Flynn was about to propose a resolution when a fight took place in
      the body of the building, and created the utmost confusion, which continued for
      several moments. At length, through the interference of Mr. J.F. Maguire, who
      addressed the meeting upon the disgraceful manner some persons present were
      conducting themselves, and called upon them as men for the sake of fair play to
      hear every person and then decide like rational beings, silence was restored.
      After a short period, Mr. Alex M'Carthy presented himself and addressed the
      electors. He was followed by Mr. J.F. Maguire, who spoke in his usual bold and
      independent fashion.
      Mr. Kenneally next addressed the meeting, referring at length to Mr.
      M'Carthy's speech by asking. - Is it possible that any true man could one day
      advocate the cause of Repeal and the next day dine with the Earl of Clarendon?-
      (Uproar, shouting and groaning.) I believe it to be utterly impossible that any
      man could be one day advocating the cause of his country and the next be hob-nob
      with Lord Clarendon, drinking his champagne and claret, purchased with the blood
      of his countrymen. (Groans, shrieking and cheering.) When the Habeas Corpus Act
      was suspended, when the idea of freedom was but a delusion and a mockery, when
      bribes were given every day to every false and treacherous friend, when the
      illustrious patriots were juggled out of the country- am I to be told that that
      was the time for Mr M'Carthy to dine with Lord Clarendon?
      Mr. Fitzgerald- Mr. M'Carthy says it is not true.
      Mr. Kenneally- I am told here by somebody at my back that my assertion is
      not true.
      Mr. Fitzgerald-Mr. M'Carthy says it is not true. (Cries of "Calumny", "Is
      it true?" "Perjury" "Lies" "Go down" and groaning.)
      Mr. Alexander M'Carthy- I rise to order, Mr. Chairman- (Cries of hear, hear
      and "Down with Kenneally.)
      Mr. Kenneally-I'm in possession- (Cries of "turn him out. Pull him down."
      and great uproar.) Is that fair play? (Continued cries of "Turn him out,
      silence," groans and hissing.)
      Mr. Maguire-Allow Mr. M'Carthy to say one word (Hear and loud cheering.)
      Mr. P. Fitzgerald- Mr. Keneally denies it. He denies it. (Cheering and
      great confusion.)
      Mr. D. O'Flynn-Gross calumny. Its false. (Hear, cheers and hissing.)
      Mr. Kenneally again essayed to speak, but was not with groaning, hissing,
      and cries of "You wont be heard, sit down, take off the specs;" and counter
      cries of "Hear the Counsellor, go on, we'll defend you, and you must be heard.")
      Mr. Kenneally- "Will Mr. M'Carthy-(Cries of "Sit down, silence," and cheers
      for M'Carthy.") Will, I say, Mr. M'Carthy come forward (Continued interruption.)
      Now I will be heard. (Increased uproar which continued for several moments.)
      Will Mr. M'Carthy come forward and put his hand upon his heart like an
      honourable man and say it is not true that he had dined with Lord Clarendon?
      (Hear, hear and cheering.)
      Mr. M'Carthy- I rise to order. (Cries of "Come forward.")
      Mr. M'Carthy then stood on the table, and was received with most
      enthusiastic cheering. However, he was ultimately obliged to come to the front
      of the platform where he was greeted with great cheering. Silence being restored
      he said- He has (confusion) Mr. Kenneally has had the hardihood to assert to you
      that whilst prosecutions were going on against men connected with the popular
      party in Ireland I was dining with Lord Clarendon. (Hear, hear and cries of "He
      lies.") Now I will content myself by saying that it is simply an untruth. (Loud
      cheers, and cries of "Down with Kenneally") I have never but once--
      Mr. Kenneally-Listen to that. (Confusion and great uproar.)
      Mr. M'Carthy- I have never but once been in the society of Lord Clarendon.
      (Hear, hear and cries of "Ha,ha.")
      Mr. Kenneally- Do you hear that, free and independent electors of Cork?
      (Hear, cheering and groaning.)
      Mr. M'Carthy-And that was in the end of August, 1847, on the occasion of
      his brother, who was an intimate friend of mine---
      Mr. Kenneally- Hear that--"who was an intimate friend"-the brother of
      Mitchell's murderer. (Loud cheering and cries of "Groans for Clarendon," uproar
      and confusion.)
      A Voice-Three cheers for John Mitchell. (Enthusiastic cheering,
      Ballina, Mayo, Ireland
      Wednesday, Oct 24, 1849

      lasted for several moments, and again and again renewed.)
      Mr. M'Carthy proceeded- Lord Clarendon's brother who was an intimate friend
      of mine, having come over to Dublin, I-(Increased uproar, and cries of "The man
      who murdered Mitchell," "Mitchel's murderer.") He has put himself forward.
      (Cries for Kenneally.) Kenneally has put himself forward as the beau ideal of a
      patriot, having some extraordinary "divine mission." (Hear, hear and laughter.)
      To such a mission I do not pretend. (Hear.) But I pretend to this-that I never
      say anything that is not true. (Hear, hear, cheering.) Wherein he,
      notwithstanding his "divine mission" has stated that which is not true. (Loud
      cheering, and cries of "Out with Kenneally."
      Mr. Kenneally again presented himself to address the meeting, and after
      several attempts, was obliged to withdraw without being heard.
      Mr. M. O'Sullivan was then called to the chair, and the thanks of the
      meeting being given to Alderman Dowden, the meeting separated, cheering for Mr.
      M'Carthy and Repeal.
      Shortly after the commencement of the proceedings, a scene of the utmost
      turbulence occurred immediately within the entrance of the building, occasioned
      by the unruly and violent conduct of some men of the class known as "collar men
      and quay porter," who, it is appeared, endeavoured, by noises and assaults on an
      opposite party of their own description, to raise a disturbance and interrupt
      the proceedings. The riot at one period was so alarming-it being considered by
      many bystanders that the loss of life would be the result-that a body of police,
      under the command of Sub-Inspector Walker, was procured. The police remained in
      the vicinity of the place of meeting under arms, until the assemblage dispersed.