!! Ballina Chronicle; Oct 10, 1849 "Old Irish Election Treating Bill !"

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2003
      Wednesday, Oct 10, 1849

      IRISH ELECTIONS IN THE OLDEN TIME- A TREATING BILL.
      I will now deliver a veritable 'treating bill,' furnished at an Irish
      election, not a great number of years ago, to an Irish baronet since dead; a
      gentleman whose most respectable and excellent successor is now in the house, a
      living witness, if necessary, of the authenticity of this valuable document:-
      "My Bill Bryan Garity x his mark
      "To ating (eating) 16 freeholders above stairs for Sir Marks, at three shillings
      and thrupence a head is to me ............................................ £ 2
      12 0
      "To ating 16 more (!) below stairs, and two priests after supper - is to
      me......................... 2 15 0
      "To six beds in one room, and four in another, at two guineas every bed; and not
      more than four in any one bed at any one time; cheap enough, the Lord knows ! is
      to me........................ 22 15 0
      "To 18 horses and five mewles (mules,) at thirteen pence every one of them; and
      for a man which was lost (!) on the head of watching them all night, is to
      me.............................................. 5 5 0
      " For breakfast on tay, in the morning, for everyone of them [horses and mewles
      too, it is to be hoped,] and as many more as they brought, as near as I can
      guess, is to me............... 4 12 0
      "To raw whiskey and punch, without talking of pipes and tobacco as well as the
      porter; and as well as for breaking the potato-pot and other glasses (!) and
      delft, for the firs day and night I am not very sure [conscientious fellow!] it
      is in all or thereabouts, as near as I can guess, and not to be too particular,
      it is to me, at the least.... 79 15 0
      "' Sir Marks', whoever he was, cannot have resisted payment of this last item at
      any rate, after so many careful reservations put around to make it safe. But we
      have not by any means got to the end of this account:-
      "For shaving & cropping of the heads (!) of 49 freeholders for Sir Marks [not
      stated, by the way, whether for dinner or supper,] at thirteen pence every one
      of them, by my brother, who has a wote [ a vote], is to
      me.............................. 2 13 1
      " For a womit [ w in place of v] and nurse for poor Tom Keirnan in the middle of
      the night, when he was not expected [i.e. not expected to live,] is to me ten
      hog [Anglice].......................... 0 10 10
      "Signed in the place of Jemmy Carr's wife (!)
      his
      BRYAN x GARITY
      mark.
      "Sum of the total,
      [otherwise "tottle of the null."]
      £110 18 7
      "You may say £111, so please your honour, Sir Marks, send me this eleven hundred
      pounds (!!!) by Bryan himself." [it would have been a pity not after his drawing
      up such a bill for Jemmy Carr's wife] "send it to me by Bryan himself, who and I
      pray for your success always in T_______, and no more at present!"
      "Note- I don't talk of the piper, or for keeping him sober as long as he
      was so [another most prudent reservation] this is to me £0 0 0!"--John
      O'Connell's Parliamentary Recollections.