RE: [IrelandOldNews] Ballina Chronicle; Sep 18, 1850; Misc News

  • john gozzard
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 6, 2007
      Hi Cathy,

      Thank you so much for your stirling effort. It has given me a great insight
      into the lives of my Irish ancestors.

      Thankyou
      John Gozzard
      Australia

> [...]
      >the
      >12th of June at Trichinopoly.
      > Lieutenant O'Malony, 70th Rifles, who had leave to Bombay, for
      >England,
      >for the purpose of retiring from the service, and died at Meerut, served
      >the
      >campaign on the Sutlej (Medal) with the 50th, including the battles of
      >Moodkee, Ferezesbah, Aliwal, and Sobraon.
      > Major-General Sir Joseph Thackwell will succeed to the command of the
      >Bombay forum, on Sir Wm. Gomm assuming the office of Commander in Chief of
      >the Queen's and Company's troops in India.
      > Lt. Col. Poole, 1st Bombay Cavalry, has been induced to retire from
      >the
      >service by the payment of 60,000 rupees. Major Delemain, late acting Town
      >Major of Bombay, succeeds to the Lieutenant Colonelcy.
      >
      >THE NAVY
      >
      > The Lords of the Admiralty, on their official visit to Portsmouth,
      >boarded the Thetis frigate, Capt. Cooper, C.B., at Spithead, and in
      >handsome
      >terms noticed the conduct of Lieut. Partridge, R.N., son-in-law of John
      >Croker, Esq., Ballinegards, for the admirable manner in which he has
      >completed the fitting out and manning of that splendid vessel for active
      >service.
      > Rear Admiral Lock, on promotion, resigns the appointment of Naval
      >Aide-de-Camp to the Queens and the vacancy brings Sir James Stirling within
      >the list of paid Aid-de-Camp.
      > Captain Sir Richard O'Connor, K.C.H., son of the late Sir Patrick
      >O'Connor, of Cork, is promoted a Rear Admiral on the retired list.
      >
      >-----
      >
      > A gentleman yesterday presented the following for publication - "The
      >true area of the Circle by geometrical solution without reference to its
      >periphery, has been discovered by Garrett Rodney Fitzgerald, Esq., of
      >Ballyneety, near this city. The result is very interesting, and a great
      >desideratum to the scientific world.-- Limerick Chronicle.
      >
      >SEA SERPENT IN KINSALE.
      >To the Editor of the Southern Reporter,
      >
      > SIR - A few friends accompanied me on a boating excursion this day,
      >whose names are William Silk, John Hunt, George Williams, Henry Seymour,
      >and
      >Edward Barry, and being off the Southern Islands, our attention was
      >directed
      >by one of the party to an extraordinary appearance ahead of the boat.
      >Immediately all eyes were turned to see what it was, when to our
      >astonishment and fright the above monster of the deep was bearing down on
      >us. We were at once thrown into an awful fright, and thought it best to
      >retreat for shore. On our landing, Mr. W. Silk, who was armed with a
      >double-barreled gun, discharged both barrels at the monster, but without
      >effect. I need not describe his appearance as you are aware of it before;
      >but from inquiries from various boatmen, I am told he is off the harbour

      Advertisement: 1000s of Sexy Singles online now at Lavalife - Click here
      http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D27782&_t=762229680&_r=lavalife_apr07_1000sexysingles&_m=EXT
    • Patty Millich
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 6, 2007
        Cathy:

        Ditto on the thanks for the information and for all the time you spend
        getting the info to us.

        Patty Millich, Youngstown, Ohio, USA
        Surnames: McAtamney/McTamany/McTammany from Co. of Londonderry

> [...]
        > >retreat for shore. On our landing, Mr. W. Silk, who was armed with a
        > >double-barreled gun, discharged both barrels at the monster, but without
        > >effect. I need not describe his appearance as you are aware of it before;
        > >but from inquiries from various boatmen, I am told he is off the harbour
        > >the
        > >last three days.- I remain, Sir, yours,
        > > JOHN GOOD,
        > >Long Quay, Kinsale, Sept. 9, 1850
        > >

        > >Cathy Joynt Labath
        > >Ireland Old News
        > >http://www.IrelandOldNews.com/

        >Advertisement: 1000s of Sexy Singles online now at Lavalife - Click here
        >http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D27782&_t=762229680&_r=lavalife_apr07_1000sexysingles&_m=EXT

        Download Messenger. Join the i�m Initiative. Help make a difference today.