Ballina Chronicle; Sep 18, 1850; Misc News

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 6, 2007
      Ballina, Co. Mayo
      Wednesday, September 18, 1850

      MARRIED

      On Wednesday last, in the Church of Mountrath, by the Rev. Mr. Rogers,
      Mr. John Prescott, of this town, to Miss Elizabeth Bates of Mountrath.

      -----

      At Ballinrobe petty sessions on Monday, Mary Connelly and Nappy Durkan were
      fined, the former 20s., the other 50s. for assault on a scripture reader.
      Rev. Mr. Conway, R.C. Priest, paid the penalties and the offenders were
      discharged.

      MAYOR OF SLIGO - We understand it is the intention of E.H. Verdon,
      Esq., proprietor of the Sligo Champion, to offer himself as a candidate for
      the civic chair for the Borough of Sligo for the ensuing year. We believe
      Mr. Verdon possesses the confidence of a large portion of his brother
      aldermen and councillors. Mr. Verdon is an active member of the Sligo board
      of guardians and his success is said to be almost certain.

      THE ARMY
      (From the Limerick Chronicle)

      By the regretted death of Captain Moore, 1st, or King's Dragoon Guards,
      Dublin, the son of Stephen Moore, Esq., of Barne, Tipperary, and recently
      stationed in this district, Lieut. Briggs succeeds to the vacant troop, and
      Cornet Nisbet to the Lieutenancy.
      Lieut. Maunselle of the 32d Regt. succeeds to a company by the death of
      Brevet Major Balfour.
      Captain Burrows shortly retires from the 13th Light Dragoons.
      Private M'Namara, 60th Rifles, Templemore, is sentenced to 7 years
      transportation by court martial.
      Lieut. Gwyn, 15th Hussars, and Ensign Robbins, 51st, retire from the
      army.
      Captain Thomas Tydd, 76th, was tried by general court martial on the
      15th July, at Cork, on three charges, viz., falsehood, disrespect and
      insubordination, preferred against him by Lieutenant Col. Clarke, on the
      whole of which he was fully and honourably acquitted.
      Surgeon Isidore Blake, M.B., 20th Regt., destroyed himself on the 22d
      August at Montreal, by incision of the throat with a razor.
      Lieutenant and Adjutant the Hon. J.W. Monk, 84th, died of fever on the
      12th of June at Trichinopoly.
      Lieutenant O'Malony, 70th Rifles, who had leave to Bombay, for England,
      for the purpose of retiring from the service, and died at Meerut, served the
      campaign on the Sutlej (Medal) with the 50th, including the battles of
      Moodkee, Ferezesbah, Aliwal, and Sobraon.
      Major-General Sir Joseph Thackwell will succeed to the command of the
      Bombay forum, on Sir Wm. Gomm assuming the office of Commander in Chief of
      the Queen's and Company's troops in India.
      Lt. Col. Poole, 1st Bombay Cavalry, has been induced to retire from the
      service by the payment of 60,000 rupees. Major Delemain, late acting Town
      Major of Bombay, succeeds to the Lieutenant Colonelcy.

      THE NAVY

      The Lords of the Admiralty, on their official visit to Portsmouth,
      boarded the Thetis frigate, Capt. Cooper, C.B., at Spithead, and in handsome
      terms noticed the conduct of Lieut. Partridge, R.N., son-in-law of John
      Croker, Esq., Ballinegards, for the admirable manner in which he has
      completed the fitting out and manning of that splendid vessel for active
      service.
      Rear Admiral Lock, on promotion, resigns the appointment of Naval
      Aide-de-Camp to the Queens and the vacancy brings Sir James Stirling within
      the list of paid Aid-de-Camp.
      Captain Sir Richard O'Connor, K.C.H., son of the late Sir Patrick
      O'Connor, of Cork, is promoted a Rear Admiral on the retired list.

      -----

      A gentleman yesterday presented the following for publication - "The
      true area of the Circle by geometrical solution without reference to its
      periphery, has been discovered by Garrett Rodney Fitzgerald, Esq., of
      Ballyneety, near this city. The result is very interesting, and a great
      desideratum to the scientific world.-- Limerick Chronicle.

      SEA SERPENT IN KINSALE.
      To the Editor of the Southern Reporter,

      SIR - A few friends accompanied me on a boating excursion this day,
      whose names are William Silk, John Hunt, George Williams, Henry Seymour, and
      Edward Barry, and being off the Southern Islands, our attention was directed
      by one of the party to an extraordinary appearance ahead of the boat.
      Immediately all eyes were turned to see what it was, when to our
      astonishment and fright the above monster of the deep was bearing down on
      us. We were at once thrown into an awful fright, and thought it best to
      retreat for shore. On our landing, Mr. W. Silk, who was armed with a
      double-barreled gun, discharged both barrels at the monster, but without
      effect. I need not describe his appearance as you are aware of it before;
      but from inquiries from various boatmen, I am told he is off the harbour the
      last three days.- I remain, Sir, yours,
      JOHN GOOD,
      Long Quay, Kinsale, Sept. 9, 1850

    • john gozzard
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 6, 2007
        Hi Cathy,

        Thank you so much for your stirling effort. It has given me a great insight
        into the lives of my Irish ancestors.

        Thankyou
        John Gozzard
        Australia

> [...]
        >
        > SIR - A few friends accompanied me on a boating excursion this day,
        >whose names are William Silk, John Hunt, George Williams, Henry Seymour,
        >and
        >Edward Barry, and being off the Southern Islands, our attention was
        >directed
        >by one of the party to an extraordinary appearance ahead of the boat.
        >Immediately all eyes were turned to see what it was, when to our
        >astonishment and fright the above monster of the deep was bearing down on
        >us. We were at once thrown into an awful fright, and thought it best to
        >retreat for shore. On our landing, Mr. W. Silk, who was armed with a
        >double-barreled gun, discharged both barrels at the monster, but without
        >effect. I need not describe his appearance as you are aware of it before;
        >but from inquiries from various boatmen, I am told he is off the harbour

        Advertisement: 1000s of Sexy Singles online now at Lavalife - Click here
        http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D27782&_t=762229680&_r=lavalife_apr07_1000sexysingles&_m=EXT
      • Patty Millich
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 6, 2007
          Cathy:

          Ditto on the thanks for the information and for all the time you spend
          getting the info to us.

          Patty Millich, Youngstown, Ohio, USA
          Surnames: McAtamney/McTamany/McTammany from Co. of Londonderry

> [...]
          > >retreat for shore. On our landing, Mr. W. Silk, who was armed with a
          > >double-barreled gun, discharged both barrels at the monster, but without
          > >effect. I need not describe his appearance as you are aware of it before;
          > >but from inquiries from various boatmen, I am told he is off the harbour
          > >the
          > >last three days.- I remain, Sir, yours,
          > > JOHN GOOD,
          > >Long Quay, Kinsale, Sept. 9, 1850
          > >

          > >Cathy Joynt Labath
          > >Ireland Old News
          > >http://www.IrelandOldNews.com/

          >Advertisement: 1000s of Sexy Singles online now at Lavalife - Click here
          >http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D27782&_t=762229680&_r=lavalife_apr07_1000sexysingles&_m=EXT

          Download Messenger. Join the i�m Initiative. Help make a difference today.