Ballina Chronicle; Sep 11, 1850; Miscellaneous
- BALLINA CHRONICLE
Ballina, Co. Mayo
Wednesday, September 11, 1850
Wm. Francis Ryan, Esq., of Montefarrell, Edgworthstown, is appointed to
the commission of the peace for county of Longford.
An inquiry was held at the Club House of Carlow, by James Drought,
Surveyor of the district, relative to charges by Mrs. Tate against Mr. Wm.
H. Carter, postmaster of that town. Mr. Mulhall appeared for the
complainant, and after hearing a few witnesses the charges fell to the
ground, no evidence being adduced sufficient to eke out even a colourable
charge against the management of the post office.
A large quantity of adulterated snuff and imitation tobacco, seized in
Cork by the Excise, was burned this week by the collector, Mr. Ayrton. The
snuff belonged to two Cork traders, and who were fined 50l. each for the
John Devitt, Esq., Manager of the National Bank, Nenagh, offers to
advance £200 at 5 per cent interest to the new Borrisokane poor law union.
The Brickfields Ship Building Yard, Cork, has been purchased by Mr.
Anthony Robinson, of London.
Sir John Ripton, Bart., has made further abatements in his rental at
Captain Watson's tenantry in the county Kilkenny completely exculpate
that gentleman from the aspersions heaped upon him relative to the affray at
The Sacraments of the Roman Catholic Church, including marriage and
baptism, are only henceforth to be administered in the body of the Church
itself. Various other rules are to be laid down by the Synod of Thurles.
The present convent property in Ireland is stated to be worth £700,000.
In Queen's College, Belfast, Charles Macdonald, Esq, professor of
Latin, is transferred to the chair of Greek; vacant by Sir Ringwood's
acceptance to the head Mastership of Dungannon Royal School and the Rev.
C.P. Refchek, curate of St. Mary's Dublin, is appointed to the Latin chair.
Cathy Joynt Labath
Ireland Old News