Connaught Journal; Jan 10 & 13, 1825

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 11, 2007
      Galway, Monday, January 10, 1825

      AMICABLE SOCIETY
      At a General Meeting of the Amicable Society held on Friday, the 7th
      instant, the following Gentlemen were elected Officers for the ensuing
      half-year, viz:-
      The Hon. Mertie [?] Ffrench, President
      Lieutenant James Mahon, Vice-President
      Peter M. Ffrench, Esq., Secretary
      James Costello, Esq, Treasurer.
      COMMITTEE
      Doctor Blake
      Lachlin Maclacklan, Esq
      Patrick M Burke, Esq.
      -----
      NOTICE
      I HEREBY caution the Public in general against taking in payment, or
      otherwise, my Acceptance for Five Pounds, in favour of William Hogan, of
      Tuam, Victualler. The said Bill was dated 10th December instant, and payable
      in twenty-one Days.- Having received no value for same, according to
      agreement for said Hogan's indemnity to me, (as will appear) having left
      said Bill in the hands of Mr. Connor Kelly, of Tuam, Merchant, for the
      purpose of procuring a Bullock for said Hogan and said Bill being now
      detained by said Kelly from me, contrary to my agreement with him.
      Dated Tuam, this 29th December, 1825.
      JOHN DAVIS
      -----
      THE CONNAUGHT JOURNAL
      Galway, Thursday, January 13, 1825

      CAUTION TO THE PUBLIC
      WHEREAS my Wife, Honora Miskell, alias Freny, has lately and on many
      occasions, misconducted herself in in many particulars and robbed me of my
      Property; This is to Caution the Public against giving her any Credit on my
      account, as I am determined not to pay any debts she may contract.
      WILLIAM MISKELL
      Bohermore, Galway, January 13, 1825
      -----
      DEATHS
      In Aungier-street, Dublin, Allen Ruxton, Esq.- a Solicitor of great
      eminence and integrity. In the long course of his professional career, there
      were few men who maintained so high a character for the most punctual
      correctness, and very few who will be so sincerely lamented by his relatives
      and friends.
      On Friday, the 7th inst., Mr. Arthur Murphy, Artist. These
      extraordinary talents, and pleasing eccentricity of manner, rendered him an
      agreeable member of society, and now an object of sincere regret.
      On Tuesday night last, in his chambers in College, Robert Stack, Esq.,
      a most interesting and amiable character.
      On the 31st ult, at Cummingstown, Co. Westmeath, at an advanced age,
      Edward Irwin, Esq., formerly one of the Landwaiters in Waterford, and a
      Gentleman of the most polished manners and kind disposition.
      On the 3d instant, after a short illness, in the 84th year of his age,
      Patrick Murray, Esq.
      On the 2d of May last, at Cawnpore, in the East Indies, Lieutenant
      General Lewis Thomas C.B., Col of the 3d Native Infantry and Civil and
      Military Governor of that extensive district.