Ballina Chronicle; Sep 4, 1850

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 11, 2007
      Ballina, Co. Mayo
      Wednesday, September 4, 1850

      PUBLIC WORKS IN PROGRESS

      The Poor Law Commissioners are erecting the following union workhouses,
      according to drawings furnished by their architect, Mr. George Wilkinson,
      viz., Killedysart, county Clare, to cost £5000; Clonakilty, £5000; also one
      at Dromore West, cost £4,500; and at Newport, Mayo, £5,100. The Museum of
      Irish Industry, Stephen's-green, Dublin, is nearly finished; it has been
      erected on the site of the late Lord Manner's mansion and embraces the two
      adjacent houses; Mr. George Papworth is the architect. The Board of
      Superintendence, Kilkenny, are erecting large additions to their gaol, for
      the accommodation of an increased number of inmates. The Board of
      Superintendence, Newry, are adding considerably to their bridewell. The cost
      will be £1,300. The Board of Public Works are erecting a wing building and
      adding an additional story to part of the Lunatic Asylum,
      Granggorgeman-lane, for reception of a large number of inmates. There is a
      new courthouse meeting in Newtownards, from the designs of Mr. Caldbeck, to
      whom the premium of 25l. was awarded for same. The cost will be 2,000l.

      THE HARVEST

      Our harvest prospects in this neighbourhood are at present rather
      cheering, so far as the state of the crops is concerned. The potato crop on
      which the greater share of thought is now bestowed, is in a better condition
      generally than our fears a few weeks ago had apprehended. It was not to be
      supposed that the entire crop would have escaped the blight of former years,
      but farmers were not prepared for so many instances of total failure as have
      occurred in different localities. The disease, however, appears to have
      received a check, and there does not exist much alarm as to the safety of
      that portion of the crop now in a sound state. Should the blight not
      progress much further, the supply will be, at least, an average of former
      years, though some individuals have suffered a considerable loss. Should the
      blight be in an equal proportion to that of 1846-'47, the consequence must
      be three-fold more disastrous than in those years, the substance of the
      people being gradually wasting away through the past years of great
      distress. The cereal crop, so far as they have been cultivated, are
      luxuriant, and the reapers are now busily at work in all directions. The
      late rains and cold weather have done but little damage beyond retarding the
      ripening. The turnips, planted more extensively and with a better system of
      culture than in former years, are likewise doing well. The flax crop, we may
      say, is now entirely pulled, and has not been so extensive since the days of
      the linen trade in this country. This is the result of the flax-mill erected
      in the neighbourhood of this town by the enterprising Messrs. Hay.
      We have said that the harvest prospects were cheering so far as the
      state of the crops was concerned; but not so as in the remuneration
      calculated upon. Here there is despondency; and we have reason to fear that
      the prices to which free trade has reduced grain will bring many to poverty
      and force others to a foreign country. What avail is it then to have good
      crops when they will not defray the expenses? We dread they will be a
      practical proof of the ruin the removal of the corn duty will entail on
      Ireland, and that when too late it will be felt how completely the British
      Legislature has sacrificed the resources of the portion of the United
      Kingdom to the aagrandisement of the English manufacturers.

      THE CHURCH

      The Rev. Thomas Rooks has resigned the curacy of Carnteel, patron the
      Archdeacon of Armagh; and has been appointed to the curacy of
      Monkstown-patron, the Archdeacon of Kildare.
      The Lord Bishop of Tuam will hold an ordination at St. Mary's, Tuam on
      Thursday the 22d of September.
      His Grace, the Lord Primate returned to the Palace, from London, on
      Thursday last. During the evening, as is usual on such occasions, the joy
      bells rang out merry peals. We are happy to state that his lordship is in
      the enjoyment of good health.-- Armagh Guardian.
      The Lord Lieutenant has appointed the Rev. Dr. Townsend, Dean of
      Lismore, and Rector of Burn-church, to the Deanery of Waterford.

      ________________________________
      ________________________________

      The Rev. Daniel M'Coy, P.P., Glin, acquires £100 a year by the death of
      his predecessor, Rev. D. O'Sullivan, to whom the above retired allowance was
      made upon superannuation.
      The Rt Rev. Dr. Delany is to consecrate Father Mathew's new Chapel of
      the Holy Trinity at Cork, the 10th October, when the Rev. Mr. Newman of the
      Oratory, London, is to preach there.
      The Rev. Daniel O'Sullivan, many years P.P. of Glen, who died on Sunday
      last, at a patriarchial age, had received orders in the church, before any
      one of all the priests now living in the diocese of Limerick were born!
      The Roman Catholic Dean of Residence at Queen's College, Cork, is to be
      withdrawn.
      It is remarked as a lusus nature, that a heiffer calf, not more than a
      yearling; is milched daily for the table of the Rev. Michael Comyn, P.P. of
      Killaloe.

      AN ENGLISH LANDLORD IN IRELAND

      Lord Vaux of Harrowden has been for some time residing on his estate in
      the county of Kilkenny, where, it appears, he has been extending employment,
      in an improved system of farm labour and exerting himself to better the
      condition of the humbler classes. By one of the local journals the noble
      lord has been landed; by another, his lordship has been taken to task for
      certain alleged proceedings, having a tendency to reform the habits of the
      peasantry. In consequence of an attack of this latter character, Lord Vaux
      has addressed the following remarkable letter to the Kilkenny Journal:-
      "Ballyconra House, August 26
      "Sir,- I find by hour journal of Saturday last that some person has
      thought it worth his while to make up the subject of an attack in the
      Kilkenny Moderator.
      "I have inquired what were the charges preferred against me in that
      paper, and I find that I was accused - first, of remonstrating with an old
      man for preparing to shoot an old house upon the high road; secondly, with
      having objected to a blacksmith lighting a fire on the roadside for the
      purpose of ringing a cart wheel; and thirdly, with scolding a boy for riding
      his jackass upon the footpath.
      "I plead guilty of all these charges, although two of them are pure
      inventions. I certainly object to an old man, or young man or any man,
      shooting a horse or other beast upon the public road, for the obvious
      reason, that in shooting the horse he might by some error in aim, shoot a
      man or woman passing by.
      "2. I object, when I go to walk out for fresh air, to being smoke dried
      as I go along the road.
      "3. I have an objection to being ridden down, even by a jackass.
      "These may be peculiar fancies of mine, and I by no means wish to
      enforce them on other people.
      "I can stand fire; and smoke, and jackasses, as well as other people.
      'If we must endure them '- so be it.
      "I am told that I am also accused in general terms, of proposing to
      civilize and teach manners to the wild Irish. Bless the man! whatever could
      have put that into his head? I have come not to teach the people manners, I
      come to teach them how to drain their lands. I did not come to civilise
      them, I came to feed them. If the Moderator correspondent had only gone up
      to Phyrhoda, any time during the summer, he would have found no bowing and
      scraping, but digging and scraping the bottoms of the drains.
      "I wish that this gentleman, wherever he is, would ask to see my
      accounts, and he would find, that men who at first could only earn 3s. or
      4s. a week, have now learned to earn 8s. or 9s. or even 10s. a week. These
      are the manners that I have been teaching. If the people will only learn
      them, which they have been willing to do. They may shoot old horses, ring
      wheels or pig's noses, or ride jackasses up to Dublin castle for anything
      that I care.
      "But I hear that it is also said that I am preparing to take out the
      commissions of the peace, in order the more surely to put down knackering on
      the high road, smoke drying and jackass riding. I have refused the
      commission of the peace, so that these charms of liberty may still be
      enjoyed and the Moderator correspondent may still shoot his old horse when
      he finds that he can no longer kick him along, or tinker up the wheel of the
      old car by the road side if it won't turn round, or mount his jackass as
      formerly. I would not for all California deprive people of such enjoyments,
      now that I understand their value. I ignorantly supposed such things to be
      public nuisances, but we live and learn.-- Your obedient servant,
      "VAUX OF HARROWDEN".

      - Patrick Healy, a carpenter, was killed at Cork on Sunday in a wrestling
      match.

      - We regret to learn that a horrid murder was perpetrated in one of the
      streets of our city yesterday morning. A man named Martin Regan, about 22
      years of age, a native of Limerick county, Ireland, and who had worked as a
      labourer in and about this city during the past 12 months, was stabbed in
      the breast so as to cause his death in a few minutes.-- Washington Republic.

      - The landed property of the late Mr. Dillon Browne, M.P. for Mayo, is to be
      sold under the Encumbered Estates court in November term.

      THE IRISH LANDLORD - The Duke of Devonshire is the present proprietor
      of nearly the whole town of Bandon, county of Cork, and of an immense tract
      of the county adjoining. His grace is, on the whole, one of the best
      specimens of the class of absentee landlords. An incident, illustrating his
      disposition to do justice, where he really sees his way in his dealing with
      his tenantry, was related to us by a person residing in the neighbourhood: -
      "A tenant of the duke's named Wilson, received notice from one of the duke's
      agents to quit at the approaching expiry of his lease. Wilson, who had
      always paid his rent with punctuality, solicited a renewal, at whatever rent
      could be fairly expected from a stranger. The agent, however, had obtained
      the farm either for himself, or for some favourite of his. Wilson's
      entreaties were fruitless, and when he found it was impossible to soften the
      obduracy of the man in office, he said to him: - 'Well, sir, as I can't have
      my farm, will your honor have the goodness, at any rate, to give me a
      character that may help me to get a farm somewhere else.' To this the agent
      assented with alacrity, as an easy mode of getting rid of Wilson's
      importunities. He gave him a flourishing character for honesty and
      agricultural intelligence. Wilson no sooner got hold of the document than he
      asked for London where, with great difficulty, he succeeded at last in
      getting access to the Duke. He stated his own past merits as a tenant, his
      claim to a preference at the same rent any solvent stranger would be willing
      to pay. The Duke readily admitted the justice of the claim.' Now, my lord
      duke,' continued Wilson, tendering to his grace the writing certificate of
      character Mr. ____ had given him, 'will you just look at what your agent
      himself says about me, and see whether I am the sort of man he ought to
      dispossess.' The Duke read the paper and expressed the great surprise that
      his agent should contemplate the courting of such a valuable tenant. ' I'll
      tell you how we will meet him,' continued his grace; ' he expects you to
      give up possession on the next term day, now; when he comes to receive it,
      instead of giving him your farm, give him a letter I shall put into your
      hands, strictly commanding him to give you a renewal. Meanwhile be quite
      silent on the subject, in order that Mr. _____ may enjoy all the pleasure of
      surprise.' Wilson kept his council until farm day, and we may easily imagine
      the chagrin of the discomfited agent when, instead of the coveted farm he
      received the duke's letter confirming the possession of the tenant."-
      Burke's Anecdotes of the Aristocracy.