!! Connaught Journal; Mar 25, 1824 "State of Country"

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2003
      Galway, Thursday, March 25, 1824

      STATE OF THE COUNTRY
      KILKENNY, MARCH 20- Little did we (Leinster Journal) imagine, when we
      penned the article for our last in reprobation of the protection afforded to an
      armed ruffian and an avowed murderer in Galmoy, that a horrible assassination
      would be perpetrated in that ill-fated barony before the paragraph was printed
      off at Press. The gentlemen to whose melancholy fate we allude, was a Roman
      Catholic, and his murder affords a singular illustration of the principles of
      Whiteboyism. He dared to extend his possessions in spite of that system of
      numerous threatenings, and of several attempts on his life; but the immediate
      cause of his assassination is said to have been his having lately taken some
      land, formerly held, for more than a century, by a Protestant family, whose
      present representative, we are told, is an Orangeman! Will any recreant Irishman
      hereafter libel his country by saying that the misguided & infatuated wretches
      who hare bringing so much misery into the families and such odium on their
      native land, are actuated by a planned proscription of Protestants? No, no; the
      murderer regards no religion; and the Rock system, illegal and ferocious as it
      is, is perfectly impartial in the distribution of its horrors. The following is
      an extract of a letter from Galmoy:
      "Galmoy, March 18, 1824.
      "About seven o'clock on the evening of Tuesday last, as John Marum, of
      Mount Stepford, Esq., accompanied by his son Edmond, (whose marriage you so
      lately noticed,) was returning by the Eirke road, from a house he had lately
      built at Rathpatrick, to their dwelling at Whiteswall, in this barony, he was,
      within half a mile of the latter place, waylaid and fired upon by a party of
      ruffians, who were concealed behind a hedge , at a sand-pit. The son, being
      nearest the ditch, received most of the charge (which was snipe-shot,) on the
      side of his face and head. His horse immediately ran off, by which means, most
      probably, his life was saved. He, however, lost his seat on the saddle, and hung
      by the stirrup-leather, until he came to a cabin, when he extricated himself,
      and went into it for protection. On the shot being fired, the father's horse, it
      is supposed, plunged and threw him, or that he was knocked off by the blow of a
      stone, on which the sanguinary villains leapt the ditch, and most barbarously
      murdered him. He received five desperate bayonet wounds for the region of his
      heart, one cut in the back of the neck, and his scull was literally broken to
      pieces. Two or three grains of the shot from the blunderbuss were also lodged in
      his shoulder. He had not been abroad after sunset before, for several years, nor
      during the same period, until that day, had he travelled without pistols.
      "On leaving the new house, Mr. Marum directed his servant boy to go to
      Whiteswall before him, to announce that they were coming home.- The boy having
      observed some persons suspiciously assembled near the road, doubled his speed
      towards home, and having arrived there, obtained his master's pistols, and
      returned with them, hoping to meet them; but, unfortunately, Mr. M. and his son
      had taken another road, although Mr. M. had told his servant he would go home by
      that road which the boy had retraced in the hope of meeting his master.
      "On the night of the murder, the Police searched several homes in the
      immediate neighbourhood of the fatal spot, and in the cabin of a man named
      Delany got a blunderbuss, which appeared to have been recently discharged, and
      which was broken across the butt end, just at the guard. It answers the
      description given by young Mr. Marum, who distinctly saw the piece leveled by
      which he was wounded. In another house they apprehended a man named Keeffe, with
      whom was found a threatening notice, which he attempted to swallow, but one of
      the Police very opportunely gave him a punch in the back with the but end of his
      piece, which knocked the paper out of the fellow's mouth. He is at present in
      custody.
      "A few nights since two other most inflammatory threatening notices were
      posted on the doors of two houses in this barony.
      " On Monday night a home near this town; on the Spa-hill, was maliciously
      burned to the ground, and the unfortunate inmates only escaped destruction
      through the clemency of one of the incendiaries.
      "Unfortunately we have no Magistrates in this turbulent barony, and as for
      our well paid and wonderfully efficient Police Magistrate, we have very seldom
      the benefit of his presence. An inquest was held yesterday. It was adjourned to
      this day, so that I am not able to send you the result.
      "The inquest was adjourned to yesterday at John's-town. Several rather
      suspicious characters have been arrested by the police; but we have not learned
      that the atrocious deed of blood has been brought home to any of them. Under the
      skillful attention of Dr.Purcell, of this city, who reached Whiteswall at five
      o'clock on the morning of the 17th, Mr. E. Marum, we are happy to say, is in a
      fair way of recovery.
      "Since writing the above, we have obtained a copy of the verdict. After a
      close ...of two days, the Jury, which was highly respectable, returned "wilful
      murder against persons unknown."--Leinster Journal.
      We are deeply grieved to have to state that another murder was perpetrated
      in this county on the same day, and in an adjoining barony. No correspondent has
      furnished us with the particulars of this melancholy case, but we learn that
      Edwd. Long, a process server, residing in Caligh, went out on that day to
      distrain under a decree for tithes obtained nine months ago against a farmer
      named Delany, since deceased. He seized some cattle belonging to deceased's son,
      but was set upon by a mob who rescued the cattle, compelled him to swallow his
      decrees, and bet him so unmercifully, that though he was able to crawl into
      Kilmanagh, he expired the next (ie. Thursday) morning.--Idem.
      "Captain Barry of the Iverk police sent into the county gaol, yesterday
      afternoon, two prisoners, one of whom is committed as an accomplice in the
      atrocious butchery of the Sheas, and the other under circumstances which require
      silence for the present.--Idem.