Ballina Chronicle; 4 Sep 1850

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 26, 2007
      Ballina, Co. Mayo
      Wednesday, September 4, 1850

      The following communication from the Poor Law Commissioners was read t
      the meeting of the Guardians of this Union, on Saturday and affords a
      gratifying proof of the beneficial effects of the judicious training of
      young minds. It is to be regretted that so many intelligent young persons as
      there are at present in our Workhouses cannot be rendered more useful
      members of society than caged up in those places, where after a certain age,
      they will lose their energies, and become permanently indisposed and
      unfitted for a better change:
      "Poor Law Commission Office, Dublin,
      "24th August, 1850.
      "SIR - I am directed by the Commissioners for administering the Laws for
      Relief of the Poor in Ireland, to state, for the information of the Board of
      Guardians of the Ballina Union, that they have received a communication
      from the Colonial Land and Emigration Commissioners, enclosing extracts from
      a report of the Surgeon Superintendent of the shop "Panama" in which some
      orphan girls were sent out as emigrants from the workhouse of Ballina Union,
      and from other Unions in Ireland to Sydney, in New South Wales, in September
      "In this report the Surgeon Superintendent speaks highly of the conduct
      of the emigrants generally and I am o enclose for the information of the
      Guardians an extract from the report referred to.
      "The number of orphan girls sent out from Ballina Union by the ship
      "Panama" was 40."
      "At the same time, the Surgeon Superintendent states that one of the
      girls sent out form the above Union, named Mary Barnes, is afflicted with
      fits, which, he is convinced, she has been subject to for years, if not from
      her birth, and he observes that he feels assured that she will never be able
      to obtain a living.
      "The Commissioners have addressed the Medical Officer of the Workhouse
      on the subject, in reference to his examination and certificate as to this
      "By order of the Commissioners,
      "W. STANLEY, Secretary.
      "To the Clerk of the Guardians,
      "Ballina Union."
      "Of the conduct of the emigrants generally I cannot speak too highly,
      and considering that most of them had been brought up in unions, and thrown
      as strangers together, it was wonderful how soon they became obedient to
      whatever orders were given them, and with what avidity they entered into
      each others amusements."

      At the meeting of the Guardians of this Union on next Saturday the
      reduction of the medical officer's salary will be re-considered, agreeable
      to a notice of motion to that effect. The Poor Law Commissioners have as
      yet, we believe, expressed their opinion only in reference to the
      schoolmaster, whose salary they do not consider too high for the office he
      holds, and the chaplains, who are appointed under their zeal, and the
      reduction of whose salary must have the sanction of the Commissioners, which
      they are not yet prepared to give. We have already given our opinion of the
      wholesale reductions made by the Guardians on last Saturday week. We shall
      now confine ourselves to a few observations in reference to the Doctor's
      salary. Here we have a gentleman, whose profession and duties entitle him to
      the highest salary given to a Workhouse staff, placed below at least two
      other officers in the scale of remuneration; for it cannot be denied that
      £80 per annum, without rations and apartments, is comparatively small. We do
      not mean by this to insinuate that the salaries of other officers are too
      high. On the contrary, we believe they are not sufficiently paid for their
      arduous and responsible duties. But the Doctor's salary being the first to
      be re-considered by the Board, we wish to lay before the Guardians what they
      appear to have hastily overlooked in their economizing zeal. With some of
      the members of the Ballina Board, talent, a liberal education, and the
      expense and assiduity required in a preparation for the medical profession
      are of no weight; they rather appear to compare these things with the
      callings of the trader or working mechanic, and accordingly set a value upon
      them. However, the portion of the Ballina Board, we are happy to think, is
      in the minority, and a second deliberation on the subject of reduction of
      salaries will be more favourable than the first gone through in haste.
      Furthermore, it must be taken into consideration that Doctor Devlin has been
      attending daily, for the last six months, an average number of patients in
      the Workhouse Infirmary of upwards of 550, and latterly he has the care of
      more than 70 fever patients. In justice his salary should have been raised
      and not brought down to the paltry sum of £80 a year; and we trust that the
      Guardians will at their next meeting adopt a proper remuneration for their
      medical officer, whose entire time, to the exclusion of his private
      practice, is occupied in their service.

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 3, 2007
        Ballina, Co. Mayo
        Wednesday, September 4, 1850

        At Birch Grove, Roscrea, on the 27th inst., the Lady of George Birch,
        Esq., of a son and heir.
        At Saggart House, the Lady of John James Verschoyle, Esq., of a

        On Thursday last, in the parish Church, Ardnaree, by the Rev. Arthur
        Moore, Mr. James Mathews to Miss Margaret Shannon, both of this town.

        On Sunday, the Rev. Mr. Fitzpatrick, P.P., of Montrath, took occasion
        to denounce from the altar at mass, the diabolical and fiendish attempt made
        by the murdering villain who threw the stone from one of the bridges upon
        the steam-coach. He said he had not language to depict the atrocity of the
        act- that the curse of God would be upon such a wretch, and implored of any
        of his flock who should come to the knowledge of the perpetrator, to have
        him at once given up to the authorities, as they were strictly bound to do.
        Mr. Ousley Higgins, M.P. for Mayo, has subscribed £3 to the Tenant
        League council, which now proposes to raise a capital of £10,000 by
        voluntary assessment of one penny in the pound by poor law rating.
        Hobart Town journals to the 20th, April advise the arrival of the
        convict ship Neptune, with John Mitchell, and convicts, rejected by the Cape
        settlers. A demonstration was about to be made against convict importings.
        Mr. Smith O'Brien's health was not very favourable, and his medical
        attendant had suggested a change. He is consequently removed from Maria
        Island to Port Arthur to the visits of Dr. Brock, the visiting magistrate,
        the superintendent, officer, and sergeant of the guard.
        The Isle of Man fishermen have beat off the Scotch boats which went in
        quest of herrings.
        Patrick Forbes was hanged at Newcastle on Saturday, for the murder of
        his wife.
        The tenantry of W. Sharman Crawford, M.P., have ordered a breakfast
        service of plate at Belfast to present his son, in testimony of their
        satisfaction of his conduct as land agent for his father.
        The merchants and other inhabitants of Galway have presented a handsome
        gold watch to Mr. Samuel Woods, one of the guards of the Dublin and Galway
        mail, as a testimonial of his long tried services.
        At Roscrea petty sessions, Captain Bernard, of Castle Bernard, on
        behalf of a tenant of his, ably defended him against a charge for poor
        rates, exposing the negligence and partiality of a collector who was ordered
        to attend before the board of Guardians, with a view to his removal or to
        pay the arrear claimed.

        It is with unfeigned regret that we have this day to record the demise
        of this truly amiable, benevolent, and deeply lamented lady. The melancholy
        event, caused by an attack of fever, took place on Friday last at Owenmore,
        the residence of her husband, William Orme, Esq. Mrs. Orme was in the prime
        of life, being in her 35th year She has left a large and highly respected
        circle of relatives and acquaintances to deplore her early removal from this
        world of troubles and disappointments. Her remains were conveyed to the
        family burying ground, Moygownagh, on Monday, attended by a vast concourse
        of the respectability of this neighbourhood.

        With unfeigned regret we have to announce the death of this gentleman,
        which melancholy event took place at Westport on Saturday last. The deceased
        was remarkable for his urbanity of manner, gentlemanlike demeanour and an
        absence of bigotry, which in too many instances distinguishes his
        contemporaries. He devoted his time in Christian efforts to sow peace and
        good will amongst his parishioners.-- Mayo Constitution.

        CURIOUS DISCOVERY - An ancient mill has within a few days been discovered on
        the townland of Shannacashel, parish of Kilmichael, about five miles north
        east of Dunmanway. The massive frame of work of solid oak is in good
        preservation. It bears the marks of having been consumed by fire. The
        remains of the upper and lower milstones are to be seen, one not much
        injured and the other greatly fractured by the action of fire. A curious
        spade or shovel was found composed entirely of wood, but it was destroyed by
        an ignorant countryman. The old men in the neighbourhood state that from
        eight to ten feet of that have been cut over its present position. It is
        well worthy the attention of the society of Antiquarians.