Ballina Chronicle; Sep 4, 1850

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 26, 2007
      BALLINA CHRONICLE
      Ballina, Co. Mayo
      Wednesday, September 4, 1850

      EMIGRANTS FROM WORKHOUSES
      The following communication from the Poor Law Commissioners was read at
      the meeting of the Guardians of this Union, on Saturday and affords a
      gratifying proof of the beneficial effects of the judicious training of
      young minds. It is to be regretted that so many intelligent young persons as
      there are at present in our Workhouses cannot be rendered more useful
      members of society than caged up in those places, where after a certain age,
      they will lose their energies, and become permanently indisposed and
      unfitted for a better change:
      "Poor Law Commission Office, Dublin,
      "24th August, 1850.
      "SIR - I am directed by the Commissioners for administering the Laws for
      Relief of the Poor in Ireland, to state, for the information of the Board of
      Guardians of the Ballina Union, that they have received a communication
      from the Colonial Land and Emigration Commissioners, enclosing extracts from
      a report of the Surgeon Superintendent of the shop "Panama" in which some
      orphan girls were sent out as emigrants from the workhouse of Ballina Union,
      and from other Unions in Ireland to Sydney, in New South Wales, in September
      last:
      "In this report the Surgeon Superintendent speaks highly of the conduct
      of the emigrants generally and I am o enclose for the information of the
      Guardians an extract from the report referred to.
      "The number of orphan girls sent out from Ballina Union by the ship
      "Panama" was 40."
      "At the same time, the Surgeon Superintendent states that one of the
      girls sent out form the above Union, named Mary Barnes, is afflicted with
      fits, which, he is convinced, she has been subject to for years, if not from
      her birth, and he observes that he feels assured that she will never be able
      to obtain a living.
      "The Commissioners have addressed the Medical Officer of the Workhouse
      on the subject, in reference to his examination and certificate as to this
      girl.
      "By order of the Commissioners,
      "W. STANLEY, Secretary.
      "To the Clerk of the Guardians,
      "Ballina Union."
      EXTRACT OF REPORT REFERRED TO
      "Of the conduct of the emigrants generally I cannot speak too highly,
      and considering that most of them had been brought up in unions, and thrown
      as strangers together, it was wonderful how soon they became obedient to
      whatever orders were given them, and with what avidity they entered into
      each others amusements."

      SALARIES OF WORKHOUSE OFFICERS
      At the meeting of the Guardians of this Union on next Saturday the
      reduction of the medical officer's salary will be re-considered, agreeable
      to a notice of motion to that effect. The Poor Law Commissioners have as
      yet, we believe, expressed their opinion only in reference to the
      schoolmaster, whose salary they do not consider too high for the office he
      holds, and the chaplains, who are appointed under their zeal, and the
      reduction of whose salary must have the sanction of the Commissioners, which
      they are not yet prepared to give. We have already given our opinion of the
      wholesale reductions made by the Guardians on last Saturday week. We shall
      now confine ourselves to a few observations in reference to the Doctor's
      salary. Here we have a gentleman, whose profession and duties entitle him to
      the highest salary given to a Workhouse staff, placed below at least two
      other officers in the scale of remuneration; for it cannot be denied that
      £80 per annum, without rations and apartments, is comparatively small. We do
      not mean by this to insinuate that the salaries of other officers are too
      high. On the contrary, we believe they are not sufficiently paid for their
      arduous and responsible duties. But the Doctor's salary being the first to
      be re-considered by the Board, we wish to lay before the Guardians what they
      appear to have hastily overlooked in their economizing zeal. With some of
      the members of the Ballina Board, talent, a liberal education, and the
      expense and assiduity required in a preparation for the medical profession
      are of no weight; they rather appear to compare these things with the
      callings of the trader or working mechanic, and accordingly set a value upon
      them. However, the portion of the Ballina Board, we are happy to think, is
      in the minority, and a second deliberation on the subject of reduction of
      salaries will be more favourable than the first gone through in haste.
      Furthermore, it must be taken into consideration that Doctor Devlin has been
      attending daily, for the last six months, an average number of patients in
      the Workhouse Infirmary of upwards of 550, and latterly he has the care of
      more than 70 fever patients. In justice his salary should have been raised
      and not brought down to the paltry sum of £80 a year; and we trust that the
      Guardians will at their next meeting adopt a proper remuneration for their
      medical officer, whose entire time, to the exclusion of his private
      practice, is occupied in their service.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 26, 2007
        BALLINA CHRONICLE
        Ballina, Co. Mayo
        Wednesday, September 4, 1850

        EMIGRANTS FROM WORKHOUSES

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 11, 2007
          BALLINA CHRONICLE
          Ballina, Co. Mayo
          Wednesday, September 4, 1850

          PUBLIC WORKS IN PROGRESS

          The Poor Law Commissioners are erecting the following union workhouses,
          according to drawings furnished by their architect, Mr. George Wilkinson,
          viz., Killedysart, county Clare, to cost £5000; Clonakilty, £5000; also one
          at Dromore West, cost £4,500; and at Newport, Mayo, £5,100. The Museum of
          Irish Industry, Stephen's-green, Dublin, is nearly finished; it has been
          erected on the site of the late Lord Manner's mansion and embraces the two
          adjacent houses; Mr. George Papworth is the architect. The Board of
          Superintendence, Kilkenny, are erecting large additions to their gaol, for
          the accommodation of an increased number of inmates. The Board of
          Superintendence, Newry, are adding considerably to their bridewell. The cost
          will be £1,300. The Board of Public Works are erecting a wing building and
          adding an additional story to part of the Lunatic Asylum,
          Granggorgeman-lane, for reception of a large number of inmates. There is a
          new courthouse meeting in Newtownards, from the designs of Mr. Caldbeck, to
          whom the premium of 25l. was awarded for same. The cost will be 2,000l.

          THE HARVEST

          Our harvest prospects in this neighbourhood are at present rather
          cheering, so far as the state of the crops is concerned. The potato crop on
          which the greater share of thought is now bestowed, is in a better condition
          generally than our fears a few weeks ago had apprehended. It was not to be
          supposed that the entire crop would have escaped the blight of former years,
          but farmers were not prepared for so many instances of total failure as have
          occurred in different localities. The disease, however, appears to have
          received a check, and there does not exist much alarm as to the safety of
          that portion of the crop now in a sound state. Should the blight not
          progress much further, the supply will be, at least, an average of former
          years, though some individuals have suffered a considerable loss. Should the
          blight be in an equal proportion to that of 1846-'47, the consequence must
          be three-fold more disastrous than in those years, the substance of the
          people being gradually wasting away through the past years of great
          distress. The cereal crop, so far as they have been cultivated, are
          luxuriant, and the reapers are now busily at work in all directions. The
          late rains and cold weather have done but little damage beyond retarding the
          ripening. The turnips, planted more extensively and with a better system of
          culture than in former years, are likewise doing well. The flax crop, we may
          say, is now entirely pulled, and has not been so extensive since the days of
          the linen trade in this country. This is the result of the flax-mill erected
          in the neighbourhood of this town by the enterprising Messrs. Hay.
          We have said that the harvest prospects were cheering so far as the
          state of the crops was concerned; but not so as in the remuneration
          calculated upon. Here there is despondency; and we have reason to fear that
          the prices to which free trade has reduced grain will bring many to poverty
          and force others to a foreign country. What avail is it then to have good
          crops when they will not defray the expenses? We dread they will be a
          practical proof of the ruin the removal of the corn duty will entail on
          Ireland, and that when too late it will be felt how completely the British
          Legislature has sacrificed the resources of the portion of the United
          Kingdom to the aagrandisement of the English manufacturers.

          THE CHURCH

          The Rev. Thomas Rooks has resigned the curacy of Carnteel, patron the
          Archdeacon of Armagh; and has been appointed to the curacy of
          Monkstown-patron, the Archdeacon of Kildare.
          The Lord Bishop of Tuam will hold an ordination at St. Mary's, Tuam on
          Thursday the 22d of September.
          His Grace, the Lord Primate returned to the Palace, from London, on
          Thursday last. During the evening, as is usual on such occasions, the joy
          bells rang out merry peals. We are happy to state that his lordship is in
          the enjoyment of good health.-- Armagh Guardian.
          The Lord Lieutenant has appointed the Rev. Dr. Townsend, Dean of
          Lismore, and Rector of Burn-church, to the Deanery of Waterford.

          ________________________________
          ________________________________

          The Rev. Daniel M'Coy, P.P., Glin, acquires £100 a year by the death of
          his predecessor, Rev. D. O'Sullivan, to whom the above retired allowance was
          made upon superannuation.
          The Rt Rev. Dr. Delany is to consecrate Father Mathew's new Chapel of
          the Holy Trinity at Cork, the 10th October, when the Rev. Mr. Newman of the
          Oratory, London, is to preach there.
          The Rev. Daniel O'Sullivan, many years P.P. of Glen, who died on Sunday
          last, at a patriarchial age, had received orders in the church, before any
          one of all the priests now living in the diocese of Limerick were born!
          The Roman Catholic Dean of Residence at Queen's College, Cork, is to be
          withdrawn.
          It is remarked as a lusus nature, that a heiffer calf, not more than a
          yearling; is milched daily for the table of the Rev. Michael Comyn, P.P. of
          Killaloe.

          AN ENGLISH LANDLORD IN IRELAND

          Lord Vaux of Harrowden has been for some time residing on his estate in
          the county of Kilkenny, where, it appears, he has been extending employment,
          in an improved system of farm labour and exerting himself to better the
          condition of the humbler classes. By one of the local journals the noble
          lord has been landed; by another, his lordship has been taken to task for
          certain alleged proceedings, having a tendency to reform the habits of the
          peasantry. In consequence of an attack of this latter character, Lord Vaux
          has addressed the following remarkable letter to the Kilkenny Journal:-
          "Ballyconra House, August 26
          "Sir,- I find by hour journal of Saturday last that some person has
          thought it worth his while to make up the subject of an attack in the
          Kilkenny Moderator.
          "I have inquired what were the charges preferred against me in that
          paper, and I find that I was accused - first, of remonstrating with an old
          man for preparing to shoot an old house upon the high road; secondly, with
          having objected to a blacksmith lighting a fire on the roadside for the
          purpose of ringing a cart wheel; and thirdly, with scolding a boy for riding
          his jackass upon the footpath.
          "I plead guilty of all these charges, although two of them are pure
          inventions. I certainly object to an old man, or young man or any man,
          shooting a horse or other beast upon the public road, for the obvious
          reason, that in shooting the horse he might by some error in aim, shoot a
          man or woman passing by.
          "2. I object, when I go to walk out for fresh air, to being smoke dried
          as I go along the road.
          "3. I have an objection to being ridden down, even by a jackass.
          "These may be peculiar fancies of mine, and I by no means wish to
          enforce them on other people.
          "I can stand fire; and smoke, and jackasses, as well as other people.
          'If we must endure them '- so be it.
          "I am told that I am also accused in general terms, of proposing to
          civilize and teach manners to the wild Irish. Bless the man! whatever could
          have put that into his head? I have come not to teach the people manners, I
          come to teach them how to drain their lands. I did not come to civilise
          them, I came to feed them. If the Moderator correspondent had only gone up
          to Phyrhoda, any time during the summer, he would have found no bowing and
          scraping, but digging and scraping the bottoms of the drains.
          "I wish that this gentleman, wherever he is, would ask to see my
          accounts, and he would find, that men who at first could only earn 3s. or
          4s. a week, have now learned to earn 8s. or 9s. or even 10s. a week. These
          are the manners that I have been teaching. If the people will only learn
          them, which they have been willing to do. They may shoot old horses, ring
          wheels or pig's noses, or ride jackasses up to Dublin castle for anything
          that I care.
          "But I hear that it is also said that I am preparing to take out the
          commissions of the peace, in order the more surely to put down knackering on
          the high road, smoke drying and jackass riding. I have refused the
          commission of the peace, so that these charms of liberty may still be
          enjoyed and the Moderator correspondent may still shoot his old horse when
          he finds that he can no longer kick him along, or tinker up the wheel of the
          old car by the road side if it won't turn round, or mount his jackass as
          formerly. I would not for all California deprive people of such enjoyments,
          now that I understand their value. I ignorantly supposed such things to be
          public nuisances, but we live and learn.-- Your obedient servant,
          "VAUX OF HARROWDEN".

          - Patrick Healy, a carpenter, was killed at Cork on Sunday in a wrestling
          match.

          - We regret to learn that a horrid murder was perpetrated in one of the
          streets of our city yesterday morning. A man named Martin Regan, about 22
          years of age, a native of Limerick county, Ireland, and who had worked as a
          labourer in and about this city during the past 12 months, was stabbed in
          the breast so as to cause his death in a few minutes.-- Washington Republic.

          - The landed property of the late Mr. Dillon Browne, M.P. for Mayo, is to be
          sold under the Encumbered Estates court in November term.

          THE IRISH LANDLORD - The Duke of Devonshire is the present proprietor
          of nearly the whole town of Bandon, county of Cork, and of an immense tract
          of the county adjoining. His grace is, on the whole, one of the best
          specimens of the class of absentee landlords. An incident, illustrating his
          disposition to do justice, where he really sees his way in his dealing with
          his tenantry, was related to us by a person residing in the neighbourhood: -
          "A tenant of the duke's named Wilson, received notice from one of the duke's
          agents to quit at the approaching expiry of his lease. Wilson, who had
          always paid his rent with punctuality, solicited a renewal, at whatever rent
          could be fairly expected from a stranger. The agent, however, had obtained
          the farm either for himself, or for some favourite of his. Wilson's
          entreaties were fruitless, and when he found it was impossible to soften the
          obduracy of the man in office, he said to him: - 'Well, sir, as I can't have
          my farm, will your honor have the goodness, at any rate, to give me a
          character that may help me to get a farm somewhere else.' To this the agent
          assented with alacrity, as an easy mode of getting rid of Wilson's
          importunities. He gave him a flourishing character for honesty and
          agricultural intelligence. Wilson no sooner got hold of the document than he
          asked for London where, with great difficulty, he succeeded at last in
          getting access to the Duke. He stated his own past merits as a tenant, his
          claim to a preference at the same rent any solvent stranger would be willing
          to pay. The Duke readily admitted the justice of the claim.' Now, my lord
          duke,' continued Wilson, tendering to his grace the writing certificate of
          character Mr. ____ had given him, 'will you just look at what your agent
          himself says about me, and see whether I am the sort of man he ought to
          dispossess.' The Duke read the paper and expressed the great surprise that
          his agent should contemplate the courting of such a valuable tenant. ' I'll
          tell you how we will meet him,' continued his grace; ' he expects you to
          give up possession on the next term day, now; when he comes to receive it,
          instead of giving him your farm, give him a letter I shall put into your
          hands, strictly commanding him to give you a renewal. Meanwhile be quite
          silent on the subject, in order that Mr. _____ may enjoy all the pleasure of
          surprise.' Wilson kept his council until farm day, and we may easily imagine
          the chagrin of the discomfited agent when, instead of the coveted farm he
          received the duke's letter confirming the possession of the tenant."-
          Burke's Anecdotes of the Aristocracy.