Connaught Journal; Jan 6, 1825; Galway Chapel of St. Nicholas

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 21, 2007
      Galway, Thursday, January 6, 1825

      CHAPEL OF ST. NICHOLAS
      TO THE EDITOR OF THE CONNAUGHT JOURNAL.
      SIR - In compliance with the general wishes of the Parishioners of St.
      Nicholas, who seem now ashamed of the state of their only Parish Chapel, and
      anxious to put it in such a condition as will afford themselves comfort, and
      provide for the decency of the worship of God, I have called my Chapter
      together, on Wednesday last to consult with them on the best means of
      effecting so desirable an object, and they are of opinion that the
      improvement being proposed should commence on next Monday.
      My object in stating this to the Public through your excellent Paper is
      to impress on the minds of the Parishioners at large, that it is primarily
      incumbent on them to attend to the decency, comfort, and improvement of
      their own Parish Church, that being the mother and mistress of all other
      Churches in the Parish and that I expect on the present occasion they will
      turn their individual attention to this object. - I have the honor to be,
      Sir, your obedient servant.
      EDMUND FFRENCH, R.C., Warden
      We are truly gratified at the above Letter, and doubly so, in being
      able to state to the Public, on the authority of a Member of the Chapter,
      tht the Very Rev. Warden himself has generously contributed the sum of ONE
      HUNDRED POUNDS towards the undertaking; and we trust that the very laudable
      example of Doctor Ffrench will not be lost on the rest of the Vicars or
      family of the Twon.-- EDITOR.