Connaught Journal; 23 Dec 1824

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 24, 2006
      Galway, Thursday, December 23, 1824

      SHOCKING IMMORALITY

      We record in our Journal of the 12th alt, the committal to our county
      gaol, by Richard Norman, Esq., of Thomas Watts (late servant to Mr. Hawley,
      of Guadaloupe Lodge near Melton Mawbray) for felony. He was charged on the
      oath of Anne Bussey, late also a servant of Mr. Hawley, with having entered
      her bedroom about three o'clock in the morning of the 29th October last, and
      attempting her life by cutting her throat with a knife; she further stated,
      that immediately after perpetrating the act he ran away; when she went to
      her master's room and informed him of this circumstance, he proceeded to the
      man's chamber and found him apparently asleep, and a fellow servant in a bed
      adjoining. Upon the wound being examined by a surgeon, he pronounced that
      her life was not in danger. The woman bearing a very indifferent character,
      great trouble was taken by the worthy Magistrate in order to elucidate the
      truth, and the prisoner was remanded several times; but as she strictly
      adhered to her first statement, upon oath, there was no other alternative,
      and he was accordingly committed to trial at the ensuing Assizes. Ever since
      his confinement the girl has been much depressed in her mind, and stung, it
      is supposed, with remorse of conscience, in having placed the life of a
      fellow-servant in such imminent danger, she confessed on Friday last to the
      parish officers of Little Dalby, that she had taken a false oath, and that
      the whole was a fabrication of her own; that she had committed the act with
      her own hand out of revenge, she being pregnant by the prisoner, who refused
      to marry her. This abandoned woman the same day actually went over to Melton
      to the same Magistrate, for the express purpose (if it could be done) of
      swearing to the truth of such confession. It is understood that the poor
      fellow will be obliged to remain immured in prison until the next general
      gaol delivery.-- Leicester Journal.

      THE ARMY

      We can state with certainty that Gen. Darling has been appointed to the
      Government of New South Wales; and that Major Goulbourn has been removed
      from the office of Secretary to the German Government.-- Morning Chronicle.

      MAJOR-GENERAL JOHN ROWLEY - The late Major-General John Rowley entered
      the service on the 28th of June, 1786, as second Lieutenant in the Royal
      Artillery, and was appointed on the 23d of August, 1787, second Lieutenant
      in the corps of Royal Engineers. He was advanced on the 2d of May, 1792, to
      Lieutenancy in the same corps, and was promoted to a company on the 18th of
      June, 1796, and to a Lieutenant-Colonecy, on the 1st of July, 1806. He was
      appointed on the 4th of June, 1814, Brevet-Colonel, was promoted, on the
      20th December, 1814, to a Colonecy, and on the 19th of July, 1821, was
      raised to the rank of Major-General.

      ~~~~~~~~~~

      The Pawnbrokers of the metropolis are required to send in returns to
      Government of the name and address of such individuals as should redeem from
      pledge, any description of fire arms. They are likewise ordered to send in a
      list of the fire arms they have actually in their possession.

      TO THE EDITOR
      OF THE CONNAUGHT JOURNAL

      SIR- Curiosity induced me to ride westward of this Town some twelve
      days since, as well to enjoy the picturesque scenery which presents itself
      between this and Clifden, even in the rudest season of the year, as to
      inform myself, by personal observation, of the correctness of those reports
      which are in circulation, respecting the growing prosperity of what may be
      called a new Colony. It was rather unfortunate the Proprietor was absent
      from what I could learn, in regard to the pleasure he at all times evinces
      to afford every information that may be required, of in this power to give,
      to an enquiring stranger. But with respect to the accommodations which is to
      be found there, and at which is called the Half-way House, I had no reason
      to complain, and as I was totally unacquainted, it cost me less time to
      ascertain that which I wanted to learn. Candour calls on me to say, I was
      not disappointed. Certainly, this part of the Country affords numerous local
      advantages, and I shall not be surprised, nay, I am confident, that ere many
      years it will become a place of considerable commerce. What has kept it so
      long in the background, save its being in the background- and the most
      abominable state of the road leading to it, after you pass Oughterard, I am
      yet to learn- the latter, however, most decidedly and most materially
      operates against it, for it is literally impossible that any vehicle can
      pass over it, carrying five hundred weight. How, then, are goods to be
      conveyed there for sale from the Capital of the County, forty miles distant?
      The Shopkeepers told me, most commonly by boat, which may at this season of
      the year arrive forty days after shipment; for myself I thank my stars, I
      returned safe, and that when I had to alight (which was pretty frequent), I
      had on my seven-leagued boots. Among other matters, I heard from poor people
      passing along the road, that three Gentlemen of the Grand Jury frequently
      passed, who, from constant habit, thought nothing of it, and that one of
      them, forsooth, was a Contractor to keep them in repair, and drew large sums
      annually for that purpose from the County. I observed, too, a new line of
      road running direct through the Country on a flat. Ho, ho, said I, this will
      be an improvement- this surely is some doings of the Nimmonians? No, faith,
      was I answered, that was more of the yarn, for the devil's a halfperth could
      be seen of what them lads intended to do, for they made it a prudent rule,
      in all their great and little undertakings, never to finish any thing they
      begun. No, the County paid the amount of that contract to one of the three
      great men long ago; and although I perceived a mere trifle would make a
      portion of same comfortable for many miles, and on the worst part of the
      road too - the stone being ready cut for bridges- nevertheless, there is no
      sign of an intention to fulfill the contract, pro tante. The Gentleman I now
      advert to, people say, is canvassing the representation of that County; but,
      before he comes out again to solicit suffrages, I would, by all means,
      recommend him to stop the slough at his own door.
      With every hope and anxiety, Mr. Editor, for the extention and welfare
      of your truly independent and liberal columns, I am yours,
      A LEINSTER MAN.