Ballina Chronicle; 7 Aug 1850; Mayo Items

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 18, 2006
      Ballina, Co. Mayo
      Wednesday, August 7, 1850

      THE CONSTABULARY - Constable M'Donnell, who was stationed here for the
      last three or four years, and who was a most efficient and useful officer of
      this valuable force, has retired from the service on compensation.

      In the House of Commons on Monday, Mr. Higgins took the oaths and his
      seat for the county of Mayo.

      We are sorry to learn that the potato crop in the neighbourhood of
      Ballinrobe, Hollymount, Westport and Castlebar, is seriously affected with
      the blight of former years.

      We are glad to find that Richard Hamilton, Esq., has returned to take
      charge of the unions under his inspection previous to his temporary absence
      from this neighbourhood.

      ELECTIONEERING INCIDENT - Numberless odd stories, arising out of the
      late elections in this county, have reached us, but anything more barefaced
      or disgraceful than the following we have never heard: At the petty sessions
      at Castlebar, held on Thursday last, a man named Richard Saunders, one of
      the "body guards", was brought up for having assaulted a car driver while
      conveying freeholders from the upper portion of the county to Castlebar. The
      fellow was convicted, and fined £1 each or one months' imprisonment. The
      Rev. M. Curley, Roman Catholic Curate - who, we understand is paying off the
      election bills due on the part of Mr. Higgins - instantly paid the fine and
      Saunders was liberated. On that very evening he murderously assaulted a
      private of the 5th Dragoons and finished his day's "amusement" by robbing a
      poorhouse! Comment on the state of society in Mayo is useless.

      On the 3rd inst. the Rev. H.E. Joly, A.M., was installed Archdeacon of
      Killala, by the Very Rev. the Dean, under a mandate from the Lord Bishop;
      and on Sunday last he preached his first sermon for the year.

      On FRIDAY, the 9th instant,
      The Residence of
      A QUANTITY OF HOUSEHOLD FURNITURE, consisting of one dozen of Mahogany
      cane-bottomed Chairs, equal to new; Mahogany Tables; Sideboard, Bookcases,
      Dining Tables; Basinstands and Dressing Glasses, Feather Beds and Bedding.
      A plough, Turnip Marrow, Plough Backhand and Chains; together with
      several other useful articles for Farming purposes.
      TERMS CASH, and the purchaser to pay Auction Fees.
      JOHN G. JONES, Auctioneer.
      Ballina, 2d August, 1850.

      Mr. J.R. WILLIAMS begs respectfully to acquaint his friends that VACATION
      will terminate on the 3rd of AUGUST, and that business will be resumed on
      the following MONDAY, when the punctual attendance of his PUPILS is