Connaught Journal; 23 Dec 1824

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 18, 2006
      THE CONNAUGHT JOURNAL
      Galway, Thursday, December 23, 1824

      MARRIAGES

      A few days since, in Dublin, James Martin, Esq., eldest son of Robert
      Martin of Ross, Esq., in the Co. Galway, to Miss Higginbotham, only daughter
      of ________ Higginbotham, Esq. in the City of Dublin.
      On the 14th instant, by Special License, Patrick Hanly, Esq., of
      Nelson-street, in the City of Dublin, to Hannah, eldest daughter of the late
      Doctor Donnelly, of Athlone and niece to Rere-Admiral Donnelly.

      DEATHS

      At his seat, Castle-Lambert, on Saturday last, M. Lambert, Esq., a
      Gentleman the whole tenor of whose life and conduct endears him to his
      highly remarkable Friends, and has rendered his death a subject of deep
      regret.
      On the evening of Wednesday lat, in Market-street, at an advanced age,
      Miss B. Fitzgerald- a Lady of extensive and unostentatious charity.
      In Dublin, Wm. Pitt Kennedy, Esq., Barrister at law.
      At Killorglin, County Kerry, aged 107, Mrs. Mary Louny.
      Near Antrim, aged 84, highly respected and beloved, the Rev. George
      Macartney, L.L.D., Vicar of Antrim.
      Mr. Thomas Norton, of Exchequer-street, Dublin.
      On the 9th instant, in London, deeply regretted by her family, friends
      and acquaintance, Miss Catherine Ball, second daughter of B. Ball, Esq., of
      Merrion-square, Dublin.
      At Stephen's-green, Dublin, Mrs. Burgess, relict of the late William
      Burgess, Esq., of Belfast.
      In Francis-street, Dublin, at an advanced age, Mr. Bernard Murray, much
      regretted by a numerous circle of friends.
      On the 21st ult, at the Irish College in Lisbon, where he had lately
      gone in the hopes of obtaining a restoration of his health, the Rev. Andrew
      Eustis, ode of the Roman Catholic curates of St. Mary's Parish Dublin. This
      amiable and excellent Ecclesiatic had scarcely attained his 33rd year. An
      unwearied zeal in the labours of his sacred calling led him to sacrifice
      health to duty. With an eloquence chaste, terse and persuasive, he was the
      constant and successful advocate of the numerous Roman Catholic institutions
      founded in the City of Dublin for the Relief of the Widow and the Orphans.

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 24, 2006
        THE CONNAUGHT JOURNAL
        Galway, Thursday, December 23, 1824

        SHOCKING IMMORALITY

        We record in our Journal of the 12th alt, the committal to our county
        gaol, by Richard Norman, Esq., of Thomas Watts (late servant to Mr. Hawley,
        of Guadaloupe Lodge near Melton Mawbray) for felony. He was charged on the
        oath of Anne Bussey, late also a servant of Mr. Hawley, with having entered
        her bedroom about three o'clock in the morning of the 29th October last, and
        attempting her life by cutting her throat with a knife; she further stated,
        that immediately after perpetrating the act he ran away; when she went to
        her master's room and informed him of this circumstance, he proceeded to the
        man's chamber and found him apparently asleep, and a fellow servant in a bed
        adjoining. Upon the wound being examined by a surgeon, he pronounced that
        her life was not in danger. The woman bearing a very indifferent character,
        great trouble was taken by the worthy Magistrate in order to elucidate the
        truth, and the prisoner was remanded several times; but as she strictly
        adhered to her first statement, upon oath, there was no other alternative,
        and he was accordingly committed to trial at the ensuing Assizes. Ever since
        his confinement the girl has been much depressed in her mind, and stung, it
        is supposed, with remorse of conscience, in having placed the life of a
        fellow-servant in such imminent danger, she confessed on Friday last to the
        parish officers of Little Dalby, that she had taken a false oath, and that
        the whole was a fabrication of her own; that she had committed the act with
        her own hand out of revenge, she being pregnant by the prisoner, who refused
        to marry her. This abandoned woman the same day actually went over to Melton
        to the same Magistrate, for the express purpose (if it could be done) of
        swearing to the truth of such confession. It is understood that the poor
        fellow will be obliged to remain immured in prison until the next general
        gaol delivery.-- Leicester Journal.

        THE ARMY

        We can state with certainty that Gen. Darling has been appointed to the
        Government of New South Wales; and that Major Goulbourn has been removed
        from the office of Secretary to the German Government.-- Morning Chronicle.

        MAJOR-GENERAL JOHN ROWLEY - The late Major-General John Rowley entered
        the service on the 28th of June, 1786, as second Lieutenant in the Royal
        Artillery, and was appointed on the 23d of August, 1787, second Lieutenant
        in the corps of Royal Engineers. He was advanced on the 2d of May, 1792, to
        Lieutenancy in the same corps, and was promoted to a company on the 18th of
        June, 1796, and to a Lieutenant-Colonecy, on the 1st of July, 1806. He was
        appointed on the 4th of June, 1814, Brevet-Colonel, was promoted, on the
        20th December, 1814, to a Colonecy, and on the 19th of July, 1821, was
        raised to the rank of Major-General.

        ~~~~~~~~~~

        The Pawnbrokers of the metropolis are required to send in returns to
        Government of the name and address of such individuals as should redeem from
        pledge, any description of fire arms. They are likewise ordered to send in a
        list of the fire arms they have actually in their possession.

        TO THE EDITOR
        OF THE CONNAUGHT JOURNAL

        SIR- Curiosity induced me to ride westward of this Town some twelve
        days since, as well to enjoy the picturesque scenery which presents itself
        between this and Clifden, even in the rudest season of the year, as to
        inform myself, by personal observation, of the correctness of those reports
        which are in circulation, respecting the growing prosperity of what may be
        called a new Colony. It was rather unfortunate the Proprietor was absent
        from what I could learn, in regard to the pleasure he at all times evinces
        to afford every information that may be required, of in this power to give,
        to an enquiring stranger. But with respect to the accommodations which is to
        be found there, and at which is called the Half-way House, I had no reason
        to complain, and as I was totally unacquainted, it cost me less time to
        ascertain that which I wanted to learn. Candour calls on me to say, I was
        not disappointed. Certainly, this part of the Country affords numerous local
        advantages, and I shall not be surprised, nay, I am confident, that ere many
        years it will become a place of considerable commerce. What has kept it so
        long in the background, save its being in the background- and the most
        abominable state of the road leading to it, after you pass Oughterard, I am
        yet to learn- the latter, however, most decidedly and most materially
        operates against it, for it is literally impossible that any vehicle can
        pass over it, carrying five hundred weight. How, then, are goods to be
        conveyed there for sale from the Capital of the County, forty miles distant?
        The Shopkeepers told me, most commonly by boat, which may at this season of
        the year arrive forty days after shipment; for myself I thank my stars, I
        returned safe, and that when I had to alight (which was pretty frequent), I
        had on my seven-leagued boots. Among other matters, I heard from poor people
        passing along the road, that three Gentlemen of the Grand Jury frequently
        passed, who, from constant habit, thought nothing of it, and that one of
        them, forsooth, was a Contractor to keep them in repair, and drew large sums
        annually for that purpose from the County. I observed, too, a new line of
        road running direct through the Country on a flat. Ho, ho, said I, this will
        be an improvement- this surely is some doings of the Nimmonians? No, faith,
        was I answered, that was more of the yarn, for the devil's a halfperth could
        be seen of what them lads intended to do, for they made it a prudent rule,
        in all their great and little undertakings, never to finish any thing they
        begun. No, the County paid the amount of that contract to one of the three
        great men long ago; and although I perceived a mere trifle would make a
        portion of same comfortable for many miles, and on the worst part of the
        road too - the stone being ready cut for bridges- nevertheless, there is no
        sign of an intention to fulfill the contract, pro tante. The Gentleman I now
        advert to, people say, is canvassing the representation of that County; but,
        before he comes out again to solicit suffrages, I would, by all means,
        recommend him to stop the slough at his own door.
        With every hope and anxiety, Mr. Editor, for the extention and welfare
        of your truly independent and liberal columns, I am yours,
        A LEINSTER MAN.