!! Ballina Chronicle; July 17, 1850; Mayo Items

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2006
      Ballina, Co. Mayo
      Wednesday, July 17, 1850

      MARRIED

      On the 9th instant, in Turlough Presbyterian Meeting-house, by the Rev.
      John Hamilton, Mr. C.B. Lister to Susanna, fourth and youngest daughter of
      Wm. Warren, Esq., Cloon lodge.
      July 10, at Barley-hill, in this county, the residence of Bernard
      M'Manus, Esq., John S. Sweetman, second son of J. Sweetman, Esq., and nephew
      of John A. Sweetman of Ratheny house, co. Dublin, to Caroline Louisa, only
      surviving daughter of the late Bernard M'Manus, Esq. of Barley-hill.

      DIED.

      In Castlebar, on the 15th inst., John, eldest son of Capt. M'Carthy,
      Staff Officer of Pensioners, aged 13 years.

      DANGEROUS ACCIDENT - On Sunday last a young man named Moran of
      Carnagloush, parish of Kilgarvin, was out shooting and when in the act of
      crossing a fence the gun went off and shattered his left arm and hand
      fearfully. Doctors Whittaker and O'Dowds attended the sufferer and were
      obliged to perform immediate amputation. We are happy to state that the
      unfortunate young man is progressing as favorably as can be expected under
      the circumstances. It will be in the recollection of our readers that a
      similar accident occurred to our townsman, Mr. George Hearne, some months
      since, who, we rejoice, is now perfectly recovered and at present enjoying
      sun-bathing at Ross.

      AFFRAY WITH THE REVENUE POLICE

      Yesterday evening the Revenue party stationed here proceeded on
      information to Ardnaree, and some shouting having been raised a young man
      named Cowley came in for some severe knocks on the head and body from the
      butt ends of two or three muskets. The nature of the provocation we could
      not learn, but the case calls for investigation. Were it not for the active
      interference of the Ardnaree party of Constabulary there would have been a
      serious affair between the people and the Revenue.