!! Ballina Chronicle; June 19, 1850; Mayo Items

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2006
      Ballina, Co. Mayo
      Wednesday, June 19, 1850

      THE REV. DR. COOKE

      This highly-gifted divine preached in the Wesleyan chapel of this town
      on the evening of Friday last to a most numerous, respectable, and attentive
      audience. He also preached at the Ballyglen, near Ballycastle, on Sunday, on
      the occasion of the opening of the new Presbyterian chapel lately erected
      in that district; and so intense was the desire to hear this great pulpit
      orator that persons from distances of 12 and 15 miles flocked to the little
      chapel. The Rev. Dr. preached at Muillifarry in the evening at six o'clock.
      Collections were taken up towards the completing of the meeting-houses of
      Dromore West and Ballyglen, which, we understand, exceeded the expectations
      of the most sanguine. We do not think it is too much to say that all those
      whose privilege it was to hear this good and great man went away both
      delighted and edified. On Monday morning Dr. Cooke laid the foundation stone
      of an agricultural school at Ballyglen and proceeded to Belmullet.

      OUTRAGE- A short time since a labouring man named Gillard, from the
      Crossmolina portion of this Union, went with a process server to effect the
      service of a law paper on Mr. Coyne of Heath Lodge, near Bangor, in Erris,
      when he was attacked by several men and so disabled that he and his family
      have been thrown upon the rates of this Union. The case came before the
      Guardians at their meeting on Saturday.

      THE RIVER MOY FISHERY

      A case will be tried at the approaching Quarter Sessions of this town
      in which Grehan, an angler, is plaintiff and the Proprietors of the River
      Moy Fishery is defendant. The complaint has arisen out of a salmon rod
      having been seized by a water-bailiff from Grehan, who, it appears, had no
      authority from the proprietors of the Fishery to angle on that part of the
      river in which they have an established right of fishing. It is not our
      intention, while this trial is pending, to enter upon any discussion on the
      merits of the case, a similar one having been already tried before the
      Assistant Barrister and disposed of favorably to the defendants, but we make
      it the occasion of a few observations to show that it is necessary for
      public advantage, and not alone for the maintenance of private rights which
      all should respect, that the better disposed members of society should
      uphold, wherever practicable, the vested rights of this Fishery. Had we in
      the neighbourhood a factory which gave employment to SEVENTEEN HUNDRED
      people we would consider it a great blessing to give it every
      encouragement.- Here we have an establishment equally as beneficial to the
      country, that number of poor people being supported by the Moy Fishery. Two
      hundred and eighty water keepers and forty fishermen are employed, whose
      families, allowing on an average five to each, amount to the number above
      stated, at a yearly expenditure of £2000. In addition to this distribution
      of money through the country the Fishery has paid this year £230 poor rates,
      which not long since amounted to as much as £487 for one assessment.
      Notwithstanding this the proprietors have been very liberal in their
      permission to angle on their property without any charge, as is the case on
      other rivers. They have given permission to every one who has applied for
      it, provided they were sure the privilege would not be abused; and at
      present there are here for the purpose of angling several gentlemen whose
      stay must in a great degree be beneficial to the town. For these reasons
      this Fishery should have the sympathies of a discerning public and the
      utmost support the law can afford. The Act of 1842 was deficient in its
      provisions for the prevention of trespass, a penalty for which could not be
      obtained except by expensive records. The law in this respect is now
      different and water-bailiffs have now the right of seizing legal instruments
      used illegally, and the Magistrates at petty sessions have the power to
      adjudicate summarily in a case of trespass on a several fishery. The
      chartered fisheries of Ireland have no to contend again laws not only
      injurious to the lessees but which, not being framed by practical men, are
      defeating the very object for which they were ostensibly enacted. It is
      therefore of importance that advantage should be taken of every section of
      the Acts favorable to the interests of the Moy Salmon Fishery, which we have
      shown to be a great public utility, and that in the open season as well as
      in the close it should be afforded every possible legal and friendly
      assistance.