!! Connaught Journal; Nov 11, 1824; Provincial Intelligence

    Message 1 of 1 , May 12 4:59 AM
      Galway, Thursday, November 11, 1824
      PROVINCIAL INTELLIGENCE

      It is with deep regret we are necessitated to notice the present
      increasingly alarming state of this County, which, connected with the
      unequivocal signs of an approaching crisis, is calculated to produce the
      most appalling apprehensions. In addition to a peasantry confederated for
      the purposes of destruction and stimulated by active incendiaries, there is
      now in vigorous operation a system of terror, which if not met by timely and
      effectual opposition, will, in all likelihood, become too strong for any
      measures short of military law. The system we allude to is, that bands of
      armed men enter the dwelling houses of persons suspected of being inimical
      to their system of combination, and beating them most unmercifully, as a
      sort of foretaste of what they may expect should they inform on them. The
      extent to which this is now carried and the audacity and disrespect shewn by
      the lower orders to the higher, even in matters of common occurrence, leave
      not the shadow of a doubt that something of a very serious nature, is in
      contemplation. We feel it our duty to call on those entrusted with the
      public safety, from the highest to the lowest, to be on alert, and, to use
      every possible means to counteract machinations, which have for their object
      rapine and blood.
      In the instance of the late murder of Samuel Robinson, we have before
      us a most unequivocal criterion of he state of the County; although the
      Nobility, Gentry, and Magistrates have offered a very large reward for the
      apprehension of the murderers, yet not a single individual (and there must
      be many privy to it) has had the nerve to come forward for the purposes of
      justice.
      A few nights ago, a man was severely beaten by some ruffians, on the
      very spot where the late murder of Samuel Robinson was perpetrated, and had
      not the Police come in time, the man would in all probability have been
      murdered. We understand that one of the villains was apprehended- the rest
      effected their escape.
      On Monday last, a meeting of the Magistrates of this County was held in
      the Court-house, pursuant to proclamation, when 20 additional Constables
      were appointed for the County.
      The great November fair of Mullingar will be held here on Thursday
      next, the 11th Inst.--Westmeath Journal.

      Wednesday night the house of Mr. Arthur, of Meelick, in this County,
      was attacked by a party of fellows, who smashed the parlour windows with
      stones. Mr. Arthur fired at them and they immediately decamped.--Clare
      Journal.