!! Connaught Journal; Oct 28, 1824; Military Promotions

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 12, 2006
      THE CONNAUGHT JOURNAL
      Galway, Thursday, October 28, 1824

      MILITARY PROMOTIONS
      War Office, 15th October, 1824

      4th Regiment of Light Dragoons- Lieutenant G.G. Shaw, from the 17th
      Light Dragoons, to be Lieut., vice John Hart, who retires upon half-pay 17th
      Light Dragoons.
      3d Regiment of Foot Guards - Captain Hon. J.C. Westenra, from the 75th
      Foot, to be Lieut. & Captain, vice Forster, who exchanges.
      2d Regiment of Foot- Captain R.Wm. Brough, from the 96th Foot, to be
      Captain, vice Borlasse, who exchanges.
      31st Ditto - Captain Robert T. Greene, from the 53d Foot, to be
      Captain, vice Reed, who exchanges.
      41st Ditto - Ensign Henry Churchill Tathwell to be Lieutenant, by
      purchase, vice Smith, who retires.
      52d Ditto - Captain Thomas Reed, from the 31st Foot, to be Captain,
      vice Greene, who exchanges.
      60th Ditto - Lieutenant Thomas Wood, from half pay 7th Foot, to be
      Lieutenant vice Fred. George Bartlett, who exchanges receiving the
      difference.
      75th Ditto - Captain William Frederick Forster from the 3d Foot Guards,
      to be Capt. vice Westenra, who exchanges.
      83d Ditto - Lieutenant Richard Brough, from half pay 99th Foot, to be
      Paymaster, vice Alex. Greig, who reverts to his former half pay.
      96th Ditto - Captain Charles Borlase, from the 2d Foot, to be Captain
      vice Brough, who exchanges.
      2d West India Regiment- Lieutenant Wm. Spence to be Adjutant vice
      Currey, deceased.
      Royal African Colonial Corps- Ensign J. White, to be Lieutenant,
      without purchase, vice Swanzy, killed in action.
      John Anthony Gordon, Gent. to be Ensign, vice White.
      Veteran Companies for Service at Newfoundland,
      Captain Matthew Willock from half pay 103d Foot, to be Captain, vice
      Pilkington, appointed to the 3d Royal Veteran Battalion.

    • Jim McNamara
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 12, 2006
        Hi Cathy,

        Very interesting, 'vice Pilkington' rank is one I have never seen before, though I have not done any military research before. [Pilkington is also a surname.]

        I may get back to the Tuam Herald in a few months. It is very crazy being me lately. I am still newsletter editor and now Irish study group leader. I have been taking many classes for work, and will travel for work to KS at the end of this month.

        I really enjoy you postings though, you have a great work ethic.

        Regards,

        Jim McNamara

        THE CONNAUGHT JOURNAL
        Galway, Thursday, October 28, 1824

        MILITARY PROMOTIONS
        War Office, 15th October, 1824
        <SNIPPED>
        Veteran Companies for Service at Newfoundland,
        Captain Matthew Willock from half pay 103d Foot, to be Captain, vice
        Pilkington, appointed to the 3d Royal Veteran Battalion.

        Ireland Published

        Jim McNamara

        Searching: McNAMARA-McGRATH-O'BRIEN, CLEARY-CONWAY,
        HANNA(H)-BRADY-McCORMICK-THOMPSON-CAIN-WAUGH-DAVIS-HUNTER

      • Records
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 12, 2006
          'Vice Pilkington'
          The 'Vice 'is latin for ' in place of'. Captain W takes Pilkington's job/
          position.

          Rachel