!! Connaught Journal; Oct 21, 1824

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2006
      Galway, Thursday, October 21, 1824

      Friday last, a young man named William Foster, whilst engaged with a
      friend in playing a game of draughts, at his lodgings in Henrietta-street,
      Dublin, suddenly fell from his chair, exclaiming, "Oh, dear me! Oh, dear
      me!" and shortly had ceased to live.

      PRIVATE WHISKEY
      A CASE OF GREAT HARDSHIP - Our fellow citizens will, we hope, act upon
      the information we now give them. There is a woman at present going through
      the city offering illicit spirits for sale at such a price as, to those
      unacquainted with the heavy penalty to which the purchaser is liable, may be
      an inducement to deal with her, and when the bait catches, she instantly
      repairs to a Revenue Officer, who by course, discharges his duty, which is
      to seize the spirits and prosecute the purchasers. A case in point has
      happened to a very poor man of the name of Purcell, near the New Barracks,
      who, although he was entirely ignorant of the transaction, he not being at
      home, and his sister unfortunately having been the person who unthinkingly
      committed him, in the purchase of a solitary gallon, yet, such is the letter
      of the law, that the fine of a hundred pounds has been imposed and a warrant
      actually issued to levy it on the poor man, although all he has in the world
      would not pay 10l. Now we well know that "qui facil per alium facil per se,"
      brings the penalty home to this poor man; but we still think that were the
      enlightened individuals who presided over the Excise in this Country, to
      know the real state of the case, they would not consign a poor but honest
      man to ruin, for an offence of which, although criminal in law, he was
      innocent in fact. But after the publicity we now give to the abominable
      practice here exposed, should the least countenance be given in future to
      such a traffic, the parties can expect very little indulgence. The case of
      Purcell is a crying one.-- Waterford Paper.