!! Ballina Chronicle; May 15, 1850; Emigration Items

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2006
      Wednesday, May 15, 1850

      REMITTANCES FROM AMERICA - We have been favoured says the Advocate, with
      a list of the persons to whom remittances have been sent from America within
      the last eighteen months in the parish of Ballinahill, county of Galway; and
      we find that from forty-eight persons no less a sum, than £686 has been
      transmitted to this country during that period, two-thirds of them also
      being labourers or servants. These remittances have been chiefly to the
      mothers and sisters of emigrants, and sometimes to their wives and families
      to bear the expense of outfit and passage to the New World.

      INTERESTING TO EMIGRANTS
      The arrival of each American mail conduces more to stimulate the
      farming classes of this country to emigrate by the cheering accounts of
      prosperity and contentment, with numerous money orders from friends abroad,
      encouraging their relatives to quit their native country. A letter from a
      settler in Wisconsin, only 12 months out out, states - "I am exceedingly
      well pleased at coming to this land of plenty- on arrival I purchased 120
      acres of land at 51 dollars an acre, there being 20 acres of it clear, and a
      beautiful home, with spring well, on the farm. Since then I cleared 30 acres
      more, and should God spare me life, in another 12 month I will have it all
      cleared. You must bear in mind that I purchased the land out and it is to me
      as mine an "estate for ever"- without a landlord, an agent, or tax gatherer
      to bother me. I would advise all my friends to quit Ireland- the country
      most dear to me- as long as they remain in it, they will be in bondage and
      misery. Here every man is his own master- what you labour for is sweetened
      by contentment and happiness- there is no failure in the potato crop, and
      you can grow Indian corn, and every crop you wish, without measuring the
      land during life! You need not mind feeding pigs, but let them into the
      woods and they will feed themselves until you want to make bacon of them. I
      shudder when I think that starvation prevails to such an extent in poor
      Ireland. After supplying the entire population of America, there would still
      be as much corn and provisions left, as would supply the world, for there is
      no limit to cultivation, or end to land. Here the meanest labourer has beef
      and mutton, with bread, bacon, tea, coffee, sugar, and even pies, the whole
      year round- every day here is as good as Christmas day in Ireland.