!! Connaught Journal; Oct 18, 1824; Outrage

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2006
      Galway, Monday, October 18, 1824

      DARING OUTRAGE - ATTACK ON KILBRACK COTTAGE.
      We have the very disagreeable duty to perform of describing the
      particulars of a daring attack which was made on Saturday night last by an
      armed party, upon Kilbrack, the residence of M. Cragh, Esq., near Doneraile,
      a Gentleman well known, and deservedly esteemed and respected throughout the
      County. At a few minutes past 7 o'clock in the evening, a violent rapping
      was made at the dining-room window, where Mr. and Mrs. Creagh was sitting at
      the time. The former immediately inquired from the inside - who was there? -
      to which a voice from without answered, not to mind, but to open the door.
      Mr. Creagh replied that he would not. "Then open the hall door," said the
      same voice, "we want you, and do not mean to injure you," upon saying which
      the person proceeded to the door, to which Mr. Creagh also went, and was
      again called on to open it. This, he said, would not do, neither should they
      come in nor should he go out. One of the party, who it could not be
      distinctly ascertained was armed, then called out, that if the door was not
      opened they would set fire to the house. The answer of Mr. Creagh may be
      considered a rash one, when it is considered that the house was thatched,
      built in cottage style and that he had no arms in the house for his defence,
      having sent them away at the commencement of the disturbances, in
      consequence of being indefensible. "Do, and be d----d," was the reply,
      accompanied with a repetition of his determination neither to let them in,
      nor to go out himself. The resolute tone in which this was announced to
      them, seemed to make them hesitate how to proceed, but in a few minutes they
      let fly a volley of stones against the window, which destroyed forty-one
      panes of glass, and almost demolished the frames of the windows. The
      shutters which were outside, had been previously cut by some sharp
      instrument. Immediately, after this cowardly attack, the ruffians betook
      themselves to flight as fast as they could, and an express messenger having
      been sent into Doneraile for the Police, a party of that force under Major
      Carter, accompanied by Mr. Kiely, Chief Constable, arrived, in an incredibly
      short space of time, when a diligent search took place, but we believe
      unavailingly. The number of the party who made this daring attack upon as
      worthy and as respected a Gentleman as there is in the County, could not be
      ascertained with certainty. Four were distinctly men, two of whom were armed
      with guns, and we believe it is Mr. Creagh's opinion that their object was
      robbery, unconnected with any of those designs which the former disturbed
      state of that part of the Country may suggest. Major Carter's promptness
      upon this occasion, and his unwearied and indefatigable exertions whenever
      and wherever they are required are described to us by our respected
      Correspondent as being most meritorious, as also those of Mr. Kiely; and in
      the language of our informant - if tranquillity be not perfectly restored in
      this most unfortunate Country, it is not to be attributed to wont of zeal
      and exertions upon their parts.-- Southern Reporter.