736!! Evening Telegraph; Apr 1904

    Apr 1, 2005
      Evening Telegraph; Dublin, Ireland; Monday, 4 Apr 1904

      DEATHS
      BRADFORD - At her residence, 22 Ferrybank Arklow, Eliza, wife of John
      Bradford. Funeral to-morrow (Tuesday), 2 o'clock, to New Cemetery.
      COUCHMAN - March 28th, at "Ellington," Montam road, New Malden, George
      Couchman, aged 72.
      FLANAGAN - April 2nd, 1904, Francis A. Flanagan, Cartron, Co Roscommon,
      R.I.P. Funeral after High Mass from Ballintuber Church, to graveyard at 11
      o'clock on to-morrow (the 5th inst.)
      M'EVOY - April 3rd, at her residence, Drumiller Glenn, Elizabeth, relict of
      the late John M'Evoy, and mother of the Rev. Hugh M'Evoy, C.C., Warrenpoint. Her
      remains will be removed for interment in the family burying-ground at 1 o'clock.
      Friends will please accept this, the only intimation.
      MACKIN - April 2nd, 1904, at his residence, Parks, Clara, King's County,
      Thomas Mackin, aged 75 years; deeply and deservedly regretted; fortified by the
      rites of the Holy Roman Catholic Church. R.I.P. Funeral to-day (Monday) to
      family burial place, The Monastery.
      MARSHALL - March 29th, at 11 Dulwich Wood Park, Upper Norwood, London, Mary
      Hawkins wife of Frederic Marshall, aged 36.
      NEARY - March 27th, at Mill street, Callan, Margaret Neary, aged 58 years,
      deeply regretted by her husband and a wide circle of friends. R.I.P. Interment
      took place at Drangan on Tuesday last after Requiem Mass and Office
      O'BRIEN - On Holy Thursday at the residence of her son, James O'Brien,
      Ballyboy, Upperchurch, Thurles, Mrs. O'Brien, widow of the late Daniel O'Brien,
      and mother of Rev. Brother O'Brien, Mitchelstown, and Rev. Brother O'Brien,
      Tralee, also of Sister Barbara, Nazareth House, Cardiff, R.I.P.
      O'CONNELL - April 2nd, 1904, at the Mercy Hospital, Cork, Cornelius
      O'Connell, son of Margaret O'Connell and of the late Daniel O'Connell,
      Knockalohert, Castlecor, and brother of the late Rev. John O'Connell, C.M.,
      R.I.P.
      SHAW - April 1st at Clontarf, from the effects of influenza, Paul Shaw,
      formerly of Bolton street, R.I.P. Funeral from St. John's the Baptist Church,
      Clontarf, at 10 o'clock sharp on this (Monday) morning.
      STRAHAN - April 2nd, 1904, Margaret Strahan, beloved wife of Abraham
      Strahan, Springwell House, Crumlin road, fortified by the rites of the Catholic
      Church; deeply mourned by her husband and family. R.I.P. Funeral to Glasnevin
      Cemetery at 10.30 on to-morrow. (Tuesday the 5th, instant). American papers
      please copy.
      IN MEMORIAM
      FINNIGAN - First Anniversary - In sad and loving memory of my dear wife,
      Annie Finnigan, late of Castletown Geoghegan Railway Station, Westmeath, who
      departed this life at Grove street, Mullingar, 4th April 1903. On whose soul,
      sweet Jesus, have mercy. Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for her. Inserted by her
      loving husband and parents.

      Evening Telegraph; Dublin, Ireland; Wednesday, 6 Apr 1904
      DEATHS
      AHERN - At her residence, Rose Quarries Mountangent, county Cavan, Anne,
      aged 65 years, relict of the late Patrick Ahern. May the Lord have mercy on her
      soul. Funeral on Thursday.
      BOWDEN - April 3rd, at Rochford House, Ramsgate, Ernest Monnington Bowden,
      B.A., of 35 Bedford Place, London, W.C., aged 44.
      BROPHY - April 5th, 1904, at Our Lady's Hospice, Anne, relict of the late
      Michael Brophy, Myshall, Carlow, to the grief of her sorrowing children and
      friends. R.I.P. Funeral on to-morrow (Thursday) at 10 a.m. from Hospice to
      Glasnevan. My Jesus, mercy.
      DAY - April 3rd, at 132 Greencroft Gardens, W. Hampstead, London, N.W.,
      Sophia, widow of the late John Clemenson Day, M.D.
      HANLEY, April 3rd, Dudley Hanley, Esq., M.D., retired Surgeon in Her late
      Majesty's Army, aged 80 years, R.I.P.
      LEONARD, April 5th, 1904, at his residence, 12 Denmark street, Edward, the
      beloved husband of Teresa Leonard; deeply regretted by his sorrowing wife and
      family, brothers and sisters and a large circle of friends. Sacred Heart of
      Jesus, have mercy on his soul. R.I.P., Funeral from above address on Thursday
      morning at 10.30 for Glasnevin Cemetery.

      Evening Telegraph; Dublin, Ireland; Thursday, 7 Apr 1904
      DEATHS
      HOWETT - April6, 1904, at her residence, 24 Stanhope terrace, Upper
      Grangegorman, Anne, the beloved wife of Thomas Howett, late of Bealinstown,
      Ballybohill, Co. Dublin and daughter of the late Richard M'Kenna, Kearneystown,
      Co. Kildare; deeply regretted by her husband and family, R.I.P. Funeral from her
      late residence at 10.30 a.m. on Friday morning for Glasnevin Cemetery.
      KANE - April 6th, 1904, at their parents' residence, 38 Great Charles
      street, Elizabeth Mary (Lil) and Mathew Francis, dearly-beloved children of John
      J. and Elizabeth Kane. Funeral this (Thursday) morning at 9 o'clock for
      Glasnevin Cemetery.
      M'GAVER- April 6th, at her residence, Cloontagh, Killashee, County
      Longford, Anne, relict of the late Coroner M'Gaver, Esq., R.I.P. High Mass on
      to-morrow (Friday, 8th) at 11 o'clock in Parish Chapel, Killashee. Funeral at 2
      o'clock p.m. same day.
      M'GOVERN - April 6th, at family residence, Gortmore, Bawnboy, Thomas
      M'Govern, Esq., M.P., West Cavan. Funeral from Gortmore to family burial ground,
      Killilriduff, at 2 o'clock on to-morrow (Friday).
      SAUL - April 5th, 1904, at the Convent of Mercy, Templemore, Mother M.
      Evangelist Saul, in the 64th year of her age and 38th of her religious
      profession. R.I.P.
      SULLIVAN - April 6th, at his residence, 6 Middle Gardiner street, Dublin,
      Patrick Sullivan (late of G.P.O.) to the deep regret of his sorrowing wife and
      large circle of friends. R.I.P. Funeral will leave above address for Glasnevin
      on Saturday morning, 10 o'clock.

      Evening Telegraph; Dublin, Ireland; Friday, 8 Apr 1904
      DEATHS
      CASHIN - April 6th, at his residence, 3 Longwood avenue, of congestion of
      the lungs, Mr. Michael Cashin, deeply regretted by his sorrowing wife and a
      large circle of friends. R.I.P. Funeral to-morrow (Saturday) morning at 10.30.
      GILCHREIST - April 6, 1904, at the Richmond Hospital, after a tedious
      illness, Thomas V. Gilchreist, aged 36, dearly beloved husband of Fanny Gilchrei
      st; deeply regretted by his sorrowing wife and a large circle of friends. R.I.P.
      Funeral from his late residence, 24 Upper Liffey street, Saturday morning 10.30
      to Glasnevin Cemetery.
      MEAGHER - On Easter Sunday, Michael, son of the late James Meagher,
      Ballypatrick, Thurles, Co. Tipperary.
      O'KEEFE - April 4th, at 6 Picton road, Ramsgate, Helen Gertrude Mary
      O'Keefe, daughter of Mrs. O'Keefe, of Ramsgate.
      QUINN - April 6th, at the Albion Hotel, Manchester, Thomas Quinn of Hill
      street, Belfast, and Westview House, Bangor, Co. Down, R.I.P. Interment in
      Castletown Cemetery on to-morrow Saturday, 9th inst. Funeral will leave Quay
      street Station, Dundalk, at 13.30 p.m.
      RYAN - April 7th, at her residence, 5 Sidmorton avenue, Bray, Mary, dearly
      beloved wife of Michael Ryan. R.I.P. Funeral from the Church of the Holy
      Redeemer, Bray, on to-morrow (Saturday) morning at 10.30. Interment in Little
      Bray Cemetery.

      MARRIAGE.
      LYONS and BOLGER - April 6th, 1904, at St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church,
      Booterstown, by the Rev. Father Lawless, C.C., Nicholas, third eldest son of
      Patrick Lyons, Ballymurphy, Tullow, Co Carlow to Kathleen (Katie) Bolger, 3
      Newtown avenue, Blackrock, Dublin and eldest daughter of the late Peter Bolger,
      The Island, Phillinstown, King's Co.

      THE CITY SESSIONS
      NO CRIMINAL BUSINESS.
      LICENSING APPLICATIONS.
      The Recorder sat in Green street Courthouse to-day and took up the business
      of the City Sessions. The Grand Jury were sworn, but were immediately
      discharged, as there was no Crown business.
      The Recorder then took up the hearing of licensing applications. Transfers
      were granted for the following: - Daniel Connell, 52 New street; Patrick Cotter,
      1 Aughrim street; Robert J. Cusack, 45 Lower O'Connell street; John Keogh
      Hendrick, 141 St. Stephen's Green; Philip P. Hynes, 17 D'Olier street; Margaret
      O'Dwyer, 25 Denzille street; Joseph O'Reilly, 25 Lower Tyrone street; and James
      Phelan, 108 Clanbrassil street.
      Mr. M.J. Dunn (instructed by Mr. H.J. McCormick, solicitor) appeared for
      the Irish Association for the Prevention of Intemperance. Mr. J.B. Moriarty, the
      secretary of the Association, was also present.
      Mr. M.S. Bergin, solicitor, appeared for the Licensed Grocers and Vintners'
      Protection Association. The following officials of that O Grady, chairman; Mr.
      T. Cunniam, vic-Association were also present: Mr. A. chairman; and Mr. M.
      O'Byrne, assistant-secretary.
      Mr. Lynch, solicitor, of the Crown Solicitor's Office, appeared for the
      police.
      While one of the transfer applications was being heard.
      Mr. M'Auley, B.L., referred to the respectability of the applicant.
      The Recorder said he did not want to be speaking of respectability. Dublin,
      in his opinion, was a sink of publicanism. It was saturated with it.
      THE AMERICAN BAR.
      Mr. Edward Moore applied for a transfer of the license attached to the
      premises, 14 Eden quay. It appeared that the premises were licensed in the name
      of Andrew M'Nally, and they were burned accidentally. Mr. M'Nally afterwards
      left Ireland, giving power of attorney to the Hibernian Bank to sell. The
      license duty was paid up to the 10th October, 1903, and in September the bank
      made a letting to Mr. Moore, with a view to purchase the latter. A magistrate's
      transfer was obtained by Mr. Moore.
      Mr. M'Auley (instructed by Mr. J.L. Burke) appeared for the applicant.
      Mr. T.M. Healy, K.C., M.P. (instructed by Mr. Gerald Byrne) appeared for
      the Hibernian Bank in support of the application.
      Mr. J.M. Day (instructed by Mr. W.V. Seddan) opposed the application on
      behalf of the Rev. J. Ford Leathley, chaplain to the Seamen's Mission. He said
      there were no less than eleven publichouses within 150 yards of the place for
      which this application was made and which was next door to the Mission. M'Nally
      went away in March, 1903, and counsel submitted that he never had any intention
      of returning.
      The Recorder said in his opinion Mr. M'Nally had acted in a most
      straightforward manner. He had, he considered, abandoned these premises.
      Mr. Healy said Mr. M'Nally had obtained £600 insurance money for the
      premises that had been burned ,and had been very fairly treated.
      The Recorder allowed the case to stand until May 9th. If the Hibernian Bank
      entered into a deed carrying out the terms mentioned by M'Nally, liquidating
      certain debts of his, and discharging him from all liability, he would be
      inclined to grant the application.
      The case was accordingly adjourned.
      The Recorder said he wished the Temperance party would do something more
      than simply oppose licenses. Their action was like taking the fringe of the
      waves of the sea and thinking they were draining the ocean. He would like if
      they would secure the system of public-houses which he had long been yearning
      for.