      From: E Macklin
      To: Syl
      Cc: Cara Links ; Jane Lyons
      Sent: Saturday, December 25, 2004 9:39 PM
      Subject: [IrelandOldNews] Memorials to the Dead

      Good evening Syl:

      In order to promote "the lets get up and go" on this little item of some
      180++ Journals and the effort of others who have used the Journals as a
      guide to their own area of special interest, including Galway and Cork and
      Wicklow, including the efforts of the Cantwells, both father and son, [and J
      S Clarke for that matter] these Journals represent the last great frontier
      of Irish genealogy written in some form of stone, marble and concrete. Being
      illegible to the human eye is the last excuse one would tolerate in this day
      of electro photo enhancement and digital enhancement. Even older stones that
      have been retrieved from blow ground. A great many stones have had their
      etchings successfully retrieved over the years. If we can do it in Egypt,
      and the great standing stones of the Vikings then a few stones a couple of
      hundred years old is "a piece of cake". So we'll hear no more of this
      nonsense from others especially in regards to stones cut since the 1800's
      Having said that, and knowing that Eneclann is working on the data base
      with Trinity Archives [probably one of the few complete Journal sets] is all
      we need to know. Searching via cemeteries is a total waste of time in this
      day and age. Eneclann [one clan] has assured our Foundation that once
      completed that is will be searchable by surname and will take another year
      of so.
      My recommendation is to cheer Eneclann on, to diarize the process every
      other month and ask them to finish the job, not only for ourselves, but for
      those genealogical enthusiast to come after us.

      Eric