We are thirsty for power because we are suffering and our children are suffering as we don't have basic facilities (Thursday, September 01, 2005)

  • jim@leftopia.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2005

      Thursday, September 01, 2005
      News roundup by Jim Galasyn

      Iraq Front News

      Thursday, September 01, 2005

      Bring Them Home

      Fool Me Once

      Hearts And Minds

      White Man's Burden

      Graph of US Military Deaths

      Graph of US Military Casualties

      Civilians reported killed by military intervention in Iraq
      Min
      Max

      Iraq Body Count

      Cost of War

      (JavaScript Error)

      Gunfire Erupts Near Site of Iraq Stampede
      Thu, 01 Sep 2005 14:56:22 GMT

      Gunfire erupted Thursday after protesters marched toward the bridge where nearly 1,000 Shiites died in a stampede during a religious procession, as thousands of people flocked to their funerals and critics blasted the government for failing to prevent the tragedy.

      top

      Two policemen killed near Baqubah
      Thu, 01 Sep 2005 00:00:00 GMT

      Two policemen were killed and two wounded when gunmen ambushed their patrol on its way back to Baquba from Khan Bani Sa'ad, 25km (15 miles) to the south, a police source said.

      top

      Tear gas fired at mourning Shiites
      Thu, 01 Sep 2005 00:00:00 GMT

      Police fired tear gas as hundreds of young Shiite Muslims poured on to the streets of Indian Kashmir's main city, forcing businesses to close out of respect for those who died in a stampede in Iraq.

      top

      US Jets Destroy Insurgent Target Near Syrian Border in Third Day of Strikes in a Week
      Thu, 01 Sep 2005 13:53:33 GMT

      The U-S military says Marine jets have destroyed an Iraqi train station that officials say was being used to store weapons.

      top

      U.S. Destroys Weapons Storage Unit in Iraq
      Thu, 01 Sep 2005 11:01:28 GMT

      U.S. Marine jets destroyed a train station in a town near the Syrian border Thursday because insurgents were storing weapons there, the U.S. military said. There was no report of casualties from the attack -- the third day of strikes in the area in a week.

      top

      Watching In Shock From Afar
      Thu, 01 Sep 2005 16:15:02 GMT

      BAGHDAD Soldiers from the Louisiana National Guard are in New Orleans, taking part in rescue and relief efforts in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

      top

      Worse than Vietnam
      Thu, 01 Sep 2005 15:15:29 GMT

      As though there wasn't already enough bad news coming out of Iraq, a study has now stated the death toll of journalists is larger than many had previously realized.

      top

      New Iraqi air force carries out first military mission
      Thu, 01 Sep 2005 16:30:35 GMT

      Iraq's nascent air force carried out its first military mission when it flew two battalions of Iraqi troops into a troubled zone in the north of the country, a U.S. military spokesman said Thursday.

      top

      LA National Guard Wants Equipment to Come Back From Iraq
      September 1, 2005

      JACKSON BARRACKS -- When members of the Louisiana National Guard left for Iraq in October, they took a lot equipment with them. Dozens of high water vehicles, humvees, refuelers and generators are now abroad, and in the event of a major natural disaster that, could be a problem. "The National Guard needs that equipment back home to support the homeland security mission," said Lt. Colonel Pete Schneider with the LA National Guard. Col. Schneider says the state has enough equipment to get by, and if Louisiana were to get hit by a major hurricane, the neighboring states of Mississippi, Alabama and Florida have all agreed to help. "As Governor Bush did for Ivan, after they were hit so many times, he just maxed all of his resources out, he reached out to Louisiana and we sent 200 national guardsmen to help support in recovery efforts," Col. Schneider said. Members of the Houma-based 256th Infantry will be returning in October, but it could be much longer before the rest of their equipment comes home. "You've got combatant commanders over there who need it they say they need it, they don't want to lose what they have, and we certainly understand that it's a matter it's a matter of us educating that combatant commander, we need it back here as well," Col. Schneider said. And even if commanders in Iraq release the equipment, getting it home takes months. "It's just the process of identifying which equipment we're bringing home, bringing it down to Kuwait, loading it on ships or aircraft however we're gonna get it back here and then either railing it in or trucking it in, so we're talking a significant amount of time before that equipment is back home," Schneider said.

      top

      The Iraq Quagmire: The Mounting Costs of War and the Case for Bringing Home the Troops
      August 31, 2005

      “The Iraq Quagmire” is the most comprehensive accounting of the mounting costs and consequences of the Iraq War on the United States, Iraq, and the world. Among its major findings are stark figures that quantify the continuing of costs since the Iraqi elections, a period that the Bush administration claimed would be characterized by a reduction in the human and economic costs. ,,,

      top

      U.S. deaths in Iraq in August most since January
      Wed, 31 Aug 2005 21:57:35 GMT

      U.S. military deaths in the Iraq war rose in August to the highest monthly total since January, and American officials predict escalating insurgent violence ahead of a planned October constitutional referendum.

      top

      Pentagon still investigating prison abuses-Schmitz
      Thu, 01 Sep 2005 18:23:29 GMT

      The Pentagon's chief internal watchdog said on Thursday his agency continues to investigate the abuse of Iraqi prisoners at Abu Ghraib prison in Baghdad, although he declined to give details.

      top

      Decorated veteran, and lifelong Republican, says new Abu Ghraib photos must be released

      In an exclusive interview with RAW STORY, retired U. S. Army Colonel Michael Pheneger explained why he submitted testimony in support of the ACLU's lawsuit seeking new Abu Ghraib detainee abuse documents, saying "the only way to assign accountability is to conduct a thorough investigation of every aspect of these deplorable episodes." The Pentagon has successfully kept new photographs out of the public eye, arguing that their release would be detrimental to the safety of troops abroad. Colonel Pheneger is a highly decorated thirty year veteran who has served in various high level military posts throughout his career, including: Commander, U. S. Army Intelligence School, Director of Intelligence, U. S. Special Operations Command; Deputy Director of Intelligence, and has worked with the USSOCOM and USCENTCOM teams providing high level intelligence support. Colonel Pheneger is also a lifelong Republican, who finds the government’s case just another "bending of rules" long since prohibited by the military. He voted for George W. Bush in 2000, and works with the ACLU. Advertisement "General Myers and Mr. Schlicher rightly condemn the misconduct and abuse depicted in the images, but they oppose the release of the 87 photos and four videotapes in the belief they would provoke reactions that could result in the death of U.S., allied, Iraqi, and Afghani military, diplomatic and contractor personnel and local civilians. They cite the ongoing insurgencies in Iraq and Afghanistan, the reaction of the "Arab street" to previously released photos, and the Muslim reaction to a Newsweek article on the alleged desecration of the Koran in support of their conclusions," Pheneger said in his testimony to the court. The full written testimony submitted to the court hearing the case on the release of detainee abuse documents can be read via the ACLU FOIA site. The transcript of the interview follows. ...

      top

      Case Closed in Navy SEAL Lawsuit Vs. AP
      Thu, 01 Sep 2005 01:01:41 GMT

      Four Navy SEALs and the wife of a SEAL who sued The Associated Press over photos showing the servicemen posing with Iraqi prisoners have agreed to drop all claims and not appeal a decision by a federal judge in favor of the news organization.

      top

      How the US got its neoliberal way in Iraq
      Sep 1, 2005

      Last June 30, the Iraqi newspaper Al-Mada published the latest draft of the Iraqi constitution that was then being negotiated by Iraqi politicians.[1] Its contents would have been enough to give former occupation authority chief Paul Bremer a heart attack. The Iraqis - even those who were willing to cooperate with the United States - wanted, at least on paper, to build a Scandinavian-type welfare system in the Arabian desert, with Iraq’s vast oil wealth to be spent on upholding every Iraqi’s right to education, health care, housing, and other social services. “Social justice is the basis of building society,” the draft declared. All of Iraq’s natural resources would be owned collectively by the Iraqi people. Everyone would have the right to work and the state would be legally bound to provide employment opportunities to everyone. The state would be the Iraqi people’s collective instrument for achieving development. (See key provisions in matrix below.) In other words, the Iraqis wanted a country different from that for which the Americans had come to Iraq. They, or at least those who were involved in drafting the constitution, wanted nothing of the kind of economic and political system that Bremer and other US officials had been attempting to create in Iraq ever since the occupation began. What the occupation authorities wanted was to fulfill “the wish-list of international investors”, as The Economist magazine described the economic policies they began imposing in the country in 2003.[2] As direct occupiers, the US enacted laws that give foreign investors equal rights with Iraqis in the domestic market; permit the full repatriation of profits; institute the flat tax system; abolish tariffs; enforce a strict intellectual property rights regime; sell off a whole-range of state-owned companies; reduce food and fuel subsidies; and privatize all kinds of social services such as health, education and water delivery. By the time the next version was leaked in late July, the progressive provisions in the draft constitution had disappeared. ...

      top

      George Bush's Original Sin
      August 31, 2005

      A few days ago, I was one on of those TV pundit shows, and the host of this gabfest—Derek McGinty—asked all the panelists whether George W. Bush's recent rah-rah speeches about the war in Iraq had done anything to rally popular support for Bush's mess in Mesopotamia. I did not surprise anyone by saying no and arguing that Bush had dished out warmed-over rhetoric that had previously failed to boost public sentiment toward the war. USA Today's Susan Page said much the same. But then the two conservative chatters—columnist Linda Chavez and the Weekly Standard's Stephen Hayes—also gave Bush an F. They maintained that he had not made a strong case that the war in Iraq is central to the effort against terrorism. (They did not pause to consider this failure might be due to the fact that the connection between Bush's folly in Iraq and the effort against jihadist terrorism is tenuous.) When right, middle and left agree that the White House is flailing, Bush might have a problem. And now—a week later—Bush's pro-war speeches resonate not at all. Bush could have achieved the same results by staying home and clearing brush on his ranch. Bush is stuck. There is little he can say to affect public opinion. It's been two years since "shock and awe" led to morass and misadventure. The problem these days is not the rhetoric, but the policy. And no matter what Bush says before a hand-picked audience, he cannot escape the original sin. When Bush took the nation to war, he offered one prime rationale. War-backers now like to claim Bush spoke of democratizing Iraq before the invasion. And he did—occasionally. But on March 17, when he addressed the nation from the Oval Office and gave Saddam Hussein 48 hours to skedaddle or face Bush's wrath, he said the "danger was clear." Iraq—"no doubt"—had WMDs it could pass to anti-American terrorists who would use these weapons to "kill thousands or hundreds of thousands of innocent people in our country or any other." In Bush's final explanation of the war to come, bringing democracy to Iraq was not the cause; it was merely a necessary part of the post-invasion cleanup. ...

      top

      Politicizing? Absolutely NOT!
      Sep 01, 2005

      We're sure you've seen the accusations of the left using the hurricane as another "excuse" to bash Bush. We'd like to clear this up: We're not looking for excuses. What we keep getting are REASONS. Every time this country and this world have been thrown into chaos, this White House has been an utter failure to respond. After 9/11, it took Bush barely a day to stand on the rubble and bodies in New York with a bullhorn proclaiming that the "people who knocked these buildings down" will hear from us. The people who knocked those buildings down were in that rubble along with 3000 other people. The one who they answered to is still at large. By contrast, after the Asian tsunamis, it took Bush a few painful days before he offered up a laughable $35 million in aid before being embarrassed enough to tenfold the ante. $35 million doesn't even buy an indoor soccer franchise, no less helping to rebuild a continent - and we've been spending over $150 million a day on Bush's Iraq Nightmare. Bush's initial indifference to Hurricane Katrina was atrocious. The day before Katrina bore down on our homeland, he played golf. While the delta was being decimated, he went back to the Coronado Naval air base where he began his "Mission Accomplished" costume party in May of 2003. Why? To pump up his side of the Iraq War as a blow against a grieving mother outside his ranch. He made a passing comment about Katrina, but it was a footnote to his real reason for being there. Time and time again, Bush has proven his inability to respond to human suffering. It's understandable. Everything he's "accomplished" on his resume' has been handed to him. The CEO posts, the baseball team, the presidency - all of it hand-delivered into his lap by influence, theft or family money. When you live in that bubble which protects you from the "bad things," you say things that take the focus off the big picture. In fact, as I write this, Bush - instead of talking about (or actually visiting) the refugees, the forlorn, the devistated human beings wandering the streets and rooftops in his own country, he issues a "zero-tolerance" for looting. This is not a man of God. This is not a "compassionate" conservative. This is not a "compassionate" anything. This is a man completely incapable of shedding a tear, feeling sorrow or knowing how to respond to disaster. We have a social retard running this country, and we're seeing the result. White-hot anger rules the streets while our National Guard is fighting a war of choice half a world away. The president is needed. But he performs a jet flyover (complete with the "peering out the window with concern" photo pose), saying it must be even worse to see on the ground. This morning on the Today show, he said he's still trying to get a handle on the situation. Political? No. It's all about being a human. It's all about doing the right thing as fast as a head of state can do it. It's all about being a goddamned leader. In Bush's case, he's now in way over his head, having to dance as fast as he can to explain why he sent our resources and money to Iraq. God help us if anything else happens to America again this year.

      top

      Their Theocracy, and Ours
      August 29, 2005

      When President Bush praised the new Iraqi constitution as protecting the rights of minorities and women and forming the basis of a "free society," he was glossing over the document's rejection by Sunnis—divisive language that may well lead to its defeat in a coming referendum—and the worries of women and minority groups in Iraq that, in fact, the document sets up an oppressive Islamic theocracy. Shiite religious parties who helped draft the constitution saw to it that, despite assurances of religious and individual freedom, Islam will be the official religion of Iraq and "a main source of legislation," according to the New York Times. "Clerics would more than likely sit on the Supreme Court, and judges would have broad latitude to strike down legislation that conflicted with the religion." In addition, "Clerics would be given a broad, new role in adjudication of family disputes like marriage, divorce, and inheritance." So much for women's rights. The failure of American efforts to transform Iraq into a free society comes at a time when we are experiencing a crisis in our own country over the basic concepts of freedom, democracy, and the separation of church and state. Recently, while I was in Washington, I heard a young conservative woman assert that there is "no such thing" as the separation of church and state in the U.S. Constitution. Senator Rick Santorum, the family-values, anti-abortion crusader in the Senate, makes the same assertion in his new book, It Takes a Family. Various web pages echo this claim, supposedly debunking the secular myth of church/state separation in this country. ...

      top

      Bush Blames Carter, Reagan, Clinton for 9/11
      August 30, 2005

      As his poll numbers sink, Bush is getting desperate. From his address today in San Diego: They looked at our response after the hostage crisis in Iran, the bombings of the Marine barracks in Lebanon, the first World Trade Center attack, the killing of American soldiers in Somalia, the destruction of two U.S. embassies in Africa, and the attack on the USS Cole. They concluded that free societies lacked the courage and character to defend themselves against a determined enemy… After September the 11th, 2001, we’ve taught the terrorists a very different lesson: America will not run in defeat and we will not forget our responsibilities. (Conveniently, Bush doesn’t mention any terrorist attack that occurred during his father’s administration.) Once upon a time, the President didn’t believe in playing the blame game: Well, the President is not one that focuses on blame or finger pointing. The President focuses on what we need to do to address challenges. It appears that statement is inoperative.

      top

      Bush 404 Error

      Bush's Crawford Vacation Cannot Be Displayed Oops! The President you are looking for could not be found here in Crawford. Please check in DC or somewhere else way above sea level. ...

      top

      Gas prices, Iraq war batter president's approval rating
      Thu, 01 Sep 2005 11:00:25 GMT

      President Bush returned to the capital Wednesday after a month-long summer vacation with big problems on his agenda - from record-setting gas prices to unrelieved turmoil in Iraq - and with his standing in handling those issues in a slide.

      top

      Hospital Is Helpless Amid Churn Of Death And Grief
      Thu, 01 Sep 2005 00:00:00 GMT

      Doctors at Baghdad's Medical City hospital complex had just a few minutes' warning before the arrival of what would become an hourslong stream of corpses. And there was little they could do....

      top

      Population still affected by severe power cuts

      BAGHDAD, 30 August (IRIN) - Iraqis are still suffering from power shortages countrywide – receiving less than four hours of electricity daily – despite the government's recent announcement that more money would be spent on this sector. "The government has forgotten about essential services like water and power," said Farah Mustany, a mother of four in Baghdad. "We are thirsty for power because we are suffering and our children were suffering as we don't have basic facilities." This summer has been the worse since the fall of Saddam Hussein's regime in April 2003. Shortages in power supplies have resulted in millions of residents being forced to sleep outside because there is not enough power to run air conditioners. "The bad quality of materials during Saddam's regime and the sabotage caused by inhumane insurgents have delayed progress and made more Iraqis suffer in temperatures of 60 degrees centigrade," Zacarias Abdul Satar, a senior official on the Ministry of Electricity, said. Abdul Satar explained that an estimated US $22 billion was required to repair and improve the electricity supply in the country and keep it working 24 hours daily. "We believe that we can reach to 18,000 megawatts of energy in the year of 2010 which is approximately double of what is being produced now – which is 7,000 megawatts," he said. Many districts of the capital have received threats from insurgents to stop the using the big neighbourhood generators. In the Sunni districts of Adhamiya, Zeiuna and Baghdad Ijidida, many generators have been attacked by insurgents who used rockets to destroy the machines. On 26 August, protests took place on the streets of Baghdad, after outspoken Shi'ite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr called on followers to demonstrate against the lack of power and water supplies and against the new draft of the constitution, in which they say federalism should not be specified. Doctors in the Iraqi capital have complained of the increase in cases of dehydration and diarrhoea among children and the elderly, caused by the constant heat inside homes without cooling systems. "We have at least 10 cases of dehydration caused by the summer season every day in our hospital. During the last regime it was rare, but now it has become a daily occurrence here," Dr Mustafa Rawi, at Baghdad's Yarmouk hospital, said. The insurgency also shut down oil exports on 22 August, when power supplies were cut leading to darkness in many areas of the capital and southern parts of the country, Oil Ministry officials said. Abdul Satar also noted that if the insurgency does not stop within the coming month, the capital could suffer a total power collapse of 24 hours daily. The situation has been causing frustration for millions of Iraqis who continue to suffer. "I hope that I can sleep with comfort at least one day in my life. Our neighbourhood generator has been attacked by insurgents and my two children are sick from dehydration," Baghdad resident Ali Kareem, said.

      top

      Iraq carries out first post-Saddam executions
      Thu, 01 Sep 2005 14:05:24 GMT

      Iraq executed three convicted murderers on Thursday, the first time the government has carried out the death penalty since the fall of Saddam Hussein in 2003, government spokesman Laith Kubba said.

      top

      Pope Benedict XVI has called for a climate of reconciliation in Iraq...
      Thu, 01 Sep 2005 15:46:47 GMT

      Pope Benedict XVI has called for a climate of reconciliation in Iraq and a common denunciation of violence as he expressed his condolences following the deaths of hundreds of people during a stampede on a ...

      top

      Funerals Held for Iraq Stampede Victims
      Thu, 01 Sep 2005 16:14:44 GMT

      Thousands of people flocked to the funerals Thursday of the nearly 1,000 Shiite pilgrims killed in a stampede during a religious procession, as critics blasted the government for failing to prevent the tragedy.

      top

      Stampede Catastrophe Brings Dissension, Unity
      Wed, 31 Aug 2005 21:30:00 GMT

      A Sadrist cabinet member responded to the horrific crushing of over 1000 persons in a crowd of worshippers on its way to the Shiite shrine in Kadhimiyah by calling for the resignation of the Minister of the Interior and the Defense Minister. Interior is controlled by the Supreme Council for Islamic Revolution in Iraq, a rival of the Sadrists.

      Al-Zaman reports, to the contrary, that mourning the victims has become an occasion for Iraqis to come together across sectarian lines. The Sunni residents of Adhamiyah, the neighboring Sunni area, are making pledges of aid. Prime Minister Jaafari has called for a three-day period of mourning. Hard line Sunni groups such as the Association of Muslim Scholars and the Iraqi Islamic Party had expressed their condolences to the Shiite leadership.

      Al-Zaman says that between a gasoline shortage and guerrilla predations, Mosul has become a ghost town (it is a city of over a million).

      I think it is clearer if we amalgamate some of the common answers.

      The way I read it, 52 percent wants some sort of withdrawal plan, maybe along with an apology to the Iraqis. About a third of Americans want either to send more US troops or to rapidly build up the Iraqi military. Only about 10 percent liked the status quo.

      The rest had no opinion.

      top

      New Orleans as a Casualty of Iraq
      Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:23:00 GMT

      <b>New Orleans as a Casualty of Iraq </b>

      It is so sad to see a city die. Those poor, poor people. I had earlier hoped New Orleans had been spared, but <a href="http://billmon.org/archives/002120.html">as Billmon explains</a> in the end Lake Pontchartrain was blown into the city and apparently there is no reason to think it will drain back away any time soon. (Last I knew, Bourbon Street was still largely spared, because being the old part of the city it was built on relatively high ground. <a href="http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/12528993.htm">The water at Bourbon and Canal street was still only knee deep</a>. But the French Quarter without the rest of the city might soon become more of an antiquarian curiosity than a living set of traditions.)

      Now there is looting. Maybe Americans can imagine now what Iraqis felt like when US troops stood aside and allowed massive looting, including of precious national heirlooms and the documentary history of the country in modern times.

      Events such as the collapse of some <a href="http://www.climatehotmap.org/antarctica.html">Antarctic ice shelves</a> will contribute to a rising of sea levels over the next century.

      While such a rise will not be a world disaster, by the late 21st century it will bring significant everyday problems, and occasional storm-surge catastrophes, to populous coastal areas <b>from New Orleans to Bangladesh</b>. More likely than not, low-lying areas where tens of millions of people live will be obliterated. Entire island nations are at risk. Then it will get worse. Even if humanity controls greenhouse emissions enough to halt global warming, the heat already in the air will work its way gradually deeper into the oceans, so the tides will continue to creep higher, century after century." </blockquote>

      Global warming is what is causing the seas to rise. Burning carbon-based fuels adds to global warming as surely as smoking leads to lung cancer. Some of your friendly corporations will deny both things to you.

      Less elegiac than Robinson's thoughtful novel, and more of an adventure story, <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0812533453/103-4772777-2611802?v=glance">John Barnes' Mother of Storms</a> paints a graphic and unforgettable picture of what is likely to happen to the Carribean islands if warming waters produce more and bigger hurricanes.

      top