The lost summer holiday

  • Jim Galasyn
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2007

      The lost summer holiday

      The summer holiday has begun in the elementary school in Iraq. It suppose like in whole world, children have different things to do in summer like picnics, spend the day playing and jumping here and there in gardens and parks that was built for such kind things, also some children go in long trip with their families to recreation and refreshing. That what may be happen in every where except Iraq the children find themselves face to face with boring life that fill of dangers and real actions inside houses without television or any entertainment devices with absence of electricity for days. So our poor children in this condition hate summer holiday that doesn't bring them any kind of pleasures or funs but some times the lucky children spend some days in grandma's house that live certainly in same conditions and some times it worst, just like what happened with my niece Yakeen 9years old. Yakeen came from Omara, that consider as a safe place south Iraq. Yakeen expected spend nice time in Baghdad because she carries old memories about the capital. But unfortunately the capital destroyed when it was receive democracy dream, destroyed with all childish dreams so Yakeen shocked of this new image of Baghdad that helicopters fly for hours above our neighborhood, mortars hit our neighboring houses from time to time, curfew for days, dead body float on Tigris and in addition of all that the constant fear that my mother live in it from sectarian kill, Yakeen was observe all this with wondering look. Yesterday I heard Yakeen tells her grandma that she was dreaming of tomorrow when she was in home "Bebe (grandma) I used to have a lot of dreams about future when I was in home but here I'm dream of death only". ... Oh God the child lost her sense of tomorrow "that is Baghdad darling" the grandma reply. .. God what kind of expression grandma had give to child "that is Baghdad" as if she meant that is hell whereas the future dreams are fading.

      (more)