Ira Einhorn "framed" via a CIA MKUltra Columbian "Manchurian Candidate Drug"?

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 19, 2001
      Dear Jack,

      Perhaps synchronistic info regarding Einhorn case and introduction by an old
      friend of his (since 1964) just now reconnecting since Ira left the US and
      now offering important info related to scopolamine apparently used
      experimentally by MK Ultra (during 70's?) looking for "Manchurian Candidate
      Drug" according to Dr. Pittel who is seeking further info on burundanga for
      his next article.

      No hard or soft information at all so far on any connection to Einhorn case
      except coincidence in timing of Pittel connecting at this time and possible?
      connection of this substance to answer/mystery confounding many of Ira's
      friends regarding quandry of how such a fellow could be charged with such a
      murder. Most recent Court TV program on Einhorn case closed with one of his
      old friends offering the conclusion that logically there are only three
      alternatives; either he did kill Holly Maddux and is lying about it, or he
      did not kill her and was framed as he claims, or he did kill her and somehow
      doesn't remember doing so due to mental block or some other psychological
      factor. Below seems to indicate an alternative combining all three of the

      Can you forward this to appropriate folks on your list for feedback on
      potential of this scenario and info below?

      Ira's case will likely get lots of publicity as it procedes to trial
      especially if a big gun attorney takes the case. So many related issues of
      potential significance and interest to the public and media, but most are
      unlikely to be allowed into court. Personally I seriously doubt any
      connection to below in this murder but one never knows under which stone
      some reasonable answer might be found.

      In a "worst case" scenario, certainly if Ira "came to" after the Maddux
      murder and being dosed with scopolamine/burundanga as below described, he
      would have discussed/confided his missing time and delirium with at least
      one of his close friends who would remember that conversation still, unless
      his personality would preclude such "de-briefing" discussion immediately
      following the Maddux murder?

      From: "Stephen M. Pittel, Ph.D." <SMPA@...>
      To: "David Crockett Williams" <gear2000@...>
      Subject: RE: Ira Einhorn situation
      Date: Monday, November 19, 2001 6:45 PM

      Dear David -

      Thanks for the call and your e-mail. I will write to Ira and check out the
      other sources of information. I will get back to you in the near future.

      Until then, can you provide me with Ira's wife's e-mail address so I can
      contact her directly.

      I am enclosing the brief article I wrote on burundanga and a partial list of
      some of the information I have found about burundanga-related crimes.
      [see attachments to post at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ira-einhorn/message/63 ]-dcw
      I have an extensive annotated bibliography on burundanga and scopolamine
      I will be happy to send if you are interested. The best website for
      information on burundanga is www.erowid.org . The links to earthops
      central and a few others include brief mentions of MKULTRA research
      conducted at the Edgewood Arsenal by Dr. H. Isbell (an NIH scientist) and

      Thanks again.

      Stephen M. Pittel, Ph.D.
      510-486-1888 Phone
      510-486-1911 Fax

      From: "radtimes" <resist@...>
      To: <ira-einhorn@yahoogroups.com>
      Cc: <gear2000@...>
      Subject: Fwd: Forensic psychologist offers Einhorn assistance
      Date: Sunday, November 18, 2001 6:33 PM

      [Can folks on this list follow this up?]

      Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001
      From: "Stephen M. Pittel, Ph.D." <SMPA@...>
      Subject: RE: [sixties-l] New Trial for Hippie Guru Einhorn (fwd)

      I am an old friend of Ira Einhorn. I am also a forensic psychologist who
      would like to offer my assistance in his trial. Can you provide me with
      information about how to contact Ira or his new attorney. His former
      attorney has not responded to my calls.

      Stephen M. Pittel, Ph.D.
      510-486-1888 Phone
      510-486-1911 Fax

      Burundanga -

      The Next Colombian Drug Threat

      by Stephen M. Pittel, PhD

      Note: Dr. Pittel is a Drug & Alcohol Resource host at Knowledge Solutions

      He can be reached for comment or consultation by contacting:
      SMP Associates; 222 Derby Street; Berkeley, CA 94705;
      Phone (510) 486-1888; Fax (510-486-1911); Email: smpa@...

      Recent reports of date-rapes, thefts, kidnapping and other crimes in the
      U.S. and Canada have been attributed to Burundanga - a potent form of
      scopalamine that has been used for decades in Columbia in native rituals, as
      a weapon and by criminals who prey on tourists. The Wall Street Journal
      reported in 1995 that the use of Burandanga was increasing rapidly as the
      favored method of assault by immigrant Columbian criminal gangs in the U.S.
      who now also use it as a major form of currency.

      A State Department Consular Warning issued last month warns tourists to
      avoid unnecessary travel to Columbia because of terrorist activities in
      general - and particularly to Bogata and Cali where Burundanga is given to
      unsuspecting visitors in chewing gum, chocolate, drinks or dusted on pieces
      of paper. Even small doses of the drug are reported to cause "submissive"
      behavior, while larger doses apparently cause almost instantaneous
      unconsciousness, followed by complete anterograde amnesia.

      A 1991 article "Scopalamine intoxication as a model of transient global
      amnesia" by A. Ardila and C. Moreno describes Burundanga as an extract of
      the Borrachio ("drunken") tree and other plants belonging to the Daturu or
      Brugsmania genus. Hollister classified Datura and related plants as
      hallucinogens in his classic volume on "Chemical Psychoses" but it is
      probably more accurate to view these drugs as sedative-hypnotics on the
      basis of their powerful hypnotic and amnesic effects.

      Until a few years ago San Francisco and other Bay Area prostitutes used
      scopalamine to drug and rob their clients. I suspect that I haven't hard
      much about its illicit use recently because its availability has declined as
      other drugs have displaced its legitimate medical uses for treatment of
      motion sickness and sedation. Since Burundanga already accounts for more
      than half of Bogata's emergency room admissions for poisoning and over 500
      reported crimes per month, it shouldn't be long before it rolls off our
      tongues as easily as "roofies" or GHB.

      Updated 6/27/98

      Seattle Times

      Nation & World : Thursday, February 10, 2000

      Crooks in Colombia cook up crime wave with zombie drug

      by Tim Johnson

      Knight Ridder Newspapers

      BOGOTA, Colombia - When Colombians talk about a national drug problem, it's
      sometimes not cocaine or heroin they mean. It's burundanga.

      A tasteless and odorless powder, burundanga sends those who consume it into
      a voodoolike trance. Dozens of times each week, somewhere in Colombia, a
      criminal sprinkles the soluble powder into the food or drink of a victim and
      then waits for the person to turn into a disoriented zombie - awake and
      talkative but powerless to resist orders.

      Criminals then tell their victims to make bank withdrawals, hand over their
      car keys and clothing, perhaps deliver narcotics or even help empty their
      apartments of furniture.

      What's more, under burundanga, victims suffer temporary amnesia.

      "A lot of times, the victim can't even remember what the criminal looks
      like. So it's very difficult to arrest anyone," said Dr. Camilo Uribe, a
      toxicologist and Colombia's premier expert on the substance.

      No place is safe

      In the 1960s, when crooks began using burundanga, they picked out victims in
      bus terminals or seedy bars. But nowadays, no one is safe from the drug.
      Among victims in the past year are a state governor, prominent lawyers,
      entire families doped up by their maids and thousands of other victims.

      "Everybody knows somebody who's been given this drug," said Elkin Osorio, an
      epidemiologist with the Bogota health department.

      Burundanga is so common a State Department travel advisory warns of it: "The
      drug is administered in drinks in bars, through cigarettes and gum in taxis,
      and in powder form. ... The drug renders the person disoriented and can
      cause prolonged unconsciousness and serious medical problems."

      In Bogota, a capital of 6.5 million people, hospitals go through 8,500 kits
      a year to test for chemical intoxication, Osorio said. He added that many of
      those cases turn out to be burundanga. Asked whether Bogota might have 1,000
      cases a month, he said, "It's a lot higher."

      Uribe estimated Colombia's largest cities have hundreds of cases a month.
      Other experts offered lower estimates. But they said many victims never
      report to authorities.

      Drug can be made in labs

      Colombia is alone with the problem. Burundanga has been reported in Ecuador
      and Venezuela, but criminals there seem to fear the substance, which can
      permanently impair or kill victims.

      Burundanga has been around since before the discovery of the New World. Its
      active ingredient, scopolamine, is found in a plant from the nightshade
      family known as borrachera (drunken binge), which grows in the high Andes.

      "Here in Bogota, you can find it in the parks," Uribe said, adding that most
      criminals now use laboratory-produced scopolamine from the black market.

      Scopolamine can make users extremely aggressive, so criminals in the 1980s
      began mixing it with other drugs, like tranquilizers. Colombians know the
      chemical cocktail as burundanga - pronounced boo-roon-DAHN-gah - and
      inventive criminals offer it orally, mixed with gaseous substances or even
      apparently as a powder in cigarettes.

      When doped-up passengers arrive at emergency rooms, doctors normally give
      them diuretics to flush out their kidneys. Those who received small doses of
      the drug usually recover within a half-day.

      Governor attacked at mall

      What happened to Erick Schaffer is a common story. Schaffer, a Nicaraguan,
      walked into a discotheque a few months ago. After that, his memory is blank.

      "The next day, I came to," Schaffer said. "A doorman was trying to open the
      garage door of an apartment building, and it woke me. I was sitting down on
      the sidewalk in a daze. He took me to my apartment."

      Schaffer said the criminals spent about $1,000 on one of his credit cards.

      The use of burundanga is so common that such robberies almost never make the

      An exception occurred when Juan Carlos Vives, governor of Magdalena, one of
      Colombia's 33 states, was slipped burundanga at Bogota's fanciest mall, the
      Centro Andino, in April.

      "Two men came up to me and asked for the time. I don't remember ... anything
      after that," the 44-year-old Vives said. He led the men to his apartment. "I
      don't remember it, but the doormen say that I entered the apartment with

      He said he regained consciousness the next day to discover that the men had
      stolen about $7,000, all his credit cards, some jewelry, a guitar "and even
      my reading glasses," Vives said.

      Colombians sometimes aren't safe even in their own homes.

      Mauricio Velasquez, 18, sat down to lunch with his brother, sister and
      mother in their Medellin home 11 months ago. A young housekeeper hired 10
      days earlier served them rice and beans.

      "When we got up, I passed out," he said. So did his mother, Marina, and a
      14-year-old brother, Andres Felipe. Luckily, a sister, Paula Andrea, 18, ate
      little. Semiconscious, she dialed a boyfriend on a cellular telephone.

      The boyfriend arrived and locked up the housekeeper. Police determined the
      housekeeper and an accomplice planned to clean the house of jewelry.

      Burundanga-bearing criminals lurk around airports, bus terminals and popular
      bars, or go door to door pretending to be salespeople, persuading housewives
      to take whiffs of products containing the powder and some sort of gaseous

      Ever inventive, some Colombians have turned the burundanga epidemic to their
      favor. Philandering husbands sometimes wander into hospitals for tests after
      spending days with girlfriends, eager for a plausible excuse to explain away
      their absence on the home front.

      "It's simply a way for them to go home and not have any problems," said Dr.
      Sergio Alvarez, an emergency-room physician in Medellin.

      Copyright © 2001 The Seattle Times Company

      [note, see above url for below article with many links not shown below for
      more info]

      TJH Internet SP and Earth Operations Central"> Copyright (c) (copr) all
      rights reserved by TJH Internet SP and Earth Operations Central.

      Burundanga/Borrachio - Plant-Sourced Scopalamines

      Scopalamine is a very useful drug. When taken as directed by the orders of a
      physician, it can alleviate motion-sickness, flatulence and other
      gastrointestinal disturbances.

      It also has a reputation as a truth-serum. Like sodium amytal, it can render
      a person somewhat disoriented and talkative. Like the stronger
      benzodazepines, it can induce retrograde amnesia. It can also induce
      waking-trances where the individual is unaware that the dream they seem to
      be having is indeed all too real, and persons under the influence of
      scopalamine can be ordered to release passwords, empty bank accounts, and
      engage in sexual acts without their consent or even full knowledge.
      Scopalamine has generally been rather difficult to manufacture, and for the
      most part there has been little public demand for this chemical here in
      America, where for the most part our pop-culture holds the use of
      interrogation and subjugation chemicals as reserved for the occasionally
      essential but universally despised world of international espionage.

      In Columbia, South America, however, the drug has been used as a weapon
      within some segments of the culture, and it now appears that plant-sourced
      scopalamine, possibly potentiated by other as-yet-unknown amines in the raw
      plant extract of the Borrachio ("drunken") tree, is hitting the streets of
      America, traded as currency in certain immigrant-criminal and
      illegal-alien-criminal markets. Most Americans have no idea that this
      chemical exists, and many Americans are doubtless still trying to figure out
      what has happened to them on that long night they cannot remember, the night
      when they weren't careful enough about their drinks and woke up the next day
      penniless and lost.

      If you speak Spanish, please see this page direct from Columbia itself. This
      is from Javeriana University, and this is their Burundanga Page, "the
      Specter of Scopalamine".

      Anyone interested in such things is very strongly advised to first read the
      seminal book Serpent and the Rainbow (forget the movie which is misleading
      pop-trash), and then to do some investigation into the religion of Santaria,
      which many describe as the Hispanic version of vodoun (voodoo), a mixture of
      paganism, african and south/central american shamanism, and degenerate
      adaptations of some of the central rituals of a banned Catholic heresy. The
      book Serpent and the Rainbow details the discovery of the plant-sourced
      toxins which underly many of the Haitian Vodoun practices, such as the
      puffer-fish toxin responsible for inducing catatonia and suggestibility in
      the creation of zombi. The references to the African culture which was one
      of the primary sellers of African slaves for the New World trade, and their
      use of plant-sourced chemicals as control factors, are invaluable.

      Initial warning... repost to UseNet of excerpts of an article from the Wall
      Street Journal July 3 1995.

      Extracted from another article..

      References to a scholarly work which details burundanga and other daturoid
      Web Rangers Page on Burundanga (Scopalamine).

      Connecticut Sexual Assault Crisis Services Inc has an excellent page on
      drugs and sexual assaults, and they have a section on burundanga here.

      Go to the Rohypnol Alert Page.
      Go to the Love, Espionage & Weird Federal Dope Page.
      Visit the Earth Operations Central District Office. Try a Glimpse HTTP
      Search (indexes HTML content).

      Erowid runs on the donations and memberships of visitors.

      Marihuana and Scopolamine "High"
      American Journal of Psychiatry
      Vol 125, Mar 9, 1969, 1258-1259
      by Harold Graff, MD

      The author reports an acute, though brief, psychotic reaction to marihuana
      soaked in scopolamine. As young people continue to experiment with various
      drugs it is important for therapists to be aware of the possibility of
      scopolamine use when treating toxic psychoses.

      THE SEARCH BY many of today's young people for drugs that will give a "mind
      expanding," i.e., pleasant, hallucinatory experience has included drugs of
      all categories, from cannabis sativa to morning glory seeds (7) to banana
      peels. One young man of more exquisite tastes has drawn his marihuana smoke
      through a hookah charged with vintage wine. In a recent letter to the editor
      of this journal, Bernstein and Leff (4) predicted from their experience that
      toxic states secondary to the ingestion of belladonna alkaloids would
      shortly be reported in the clinical literature. Unfortunately they predicted
      This is a report of a case of acute marihuana and scopolamine intoxication
      from smoking marihuana soaked in scopolamine. The smoking of plants
      containing belladonna alkaloids for their hallucinatory effects has been
      practiced for centuries by Arabs, Swahilis, and American Indians. Its use
      American young people in this particular form has not been reported,
      although several investigators(2, 9) have seen it in the results of the use
      of a drug for the relief of asthma (Asthmador) containing belladonna and

      Case Report
      The patient was a 19-year-old college student who had had previous
      experience with smoking marihuana and was a frequent, though not daily user.
      She had learned from a friend, who worked in a laboratory that he could
      achieve a "better high" from "pot" soaked in scopolamine. She received three
      such treated cigarettes from him and smoked them in the presence of some

      Within 30 minutes after smoking she developed reactions unlike any she had
      previously experienced. She began to become agitated, combative, and
      delusional. She reported that her girl friend appeared to be a Negro man and
      that other men were coming in her window. She was aware that these were
      hallucinations but was unable to control them. Finally she felt that she had
      become crazy and that these figures were coming to take her to a hospital.
      Voices sounded like the ringing of a telephone. Her heart felt cold, as if
      it was filled with ice water. Equally frightening to her was the loss of the
      ability to use proper grammar. She heard monkeys and owls in her room but
      was unable to state whether "It is owls here," or "It are owls here." Time
      and space perceptions were altered as she lay clinging to her bed to keep
      from falling off.

      This state gradually cleared over the next 12 hours. Whenever she closed her
      eyes, however, the hallucinations returned. This lasted until 24 hours after
      inhalation. After clearing, there was no persistence of psychosis.

      Scopolamine is one of the active principles found in solanaceous plants
      which, along with atropine and hyoscyamine, are known to produce
      hallucinations( 6 ). Toxic psychoses as the result of the ingestion of
      sleeping medicines containing scopolamine have been increasingly reported
      (3, 5 ).

      At the same time, the question of whether marihuana ingestion can create in
      acute toxic psychosis is pertinent. Keeler(8) believes that there are many
      adverse reactions to marihuana reporting cases of panic, gross confusion,
      depersonalization, depression, and paranoia with its use. Allentuck(1), in
      his classical study in 1944 on marihuana psychosis, stated that major
      symptoms are "restlessness, and mental excitement of a delirious nature with
      intermittent periods of euphoria and an overhanging state of anxiety and
      dread." Thus, we must be concerned about the combined and even synergistic
      actions of scopolamine and cannabis in the creation of an acute toxic state.

      Fortunately for the patient described above, there was no residuum. Others
      may not be so lucky. One of the most dangerous results of scopolamine
      toxicity with its hallucinations is the activation of a hitherto latent
      psychosis. In the population most interested in discovering new
      hallucinogenic drugs for pleasure the risks are high, since it raises the
      potential for more permanent damage to those with already severely weakened
      defenses or borderline personalities. Diagnosis of toxic states in young
      people must include investigation of the possible use of scopolamine as well
      as marihuana. Psychotherapeutic efforts should include warnings of its

      Allentuck, S., cited by Solomon, D.: The Marijuana Papers. New York:
      Bobbs-Merrill Co., 1966, pp. 278-283.
      Angrist, B.: The Bad Trip, Psychiatric Progress 3:5-6, 1968.
      Bernstein, S., and Leff, R.: Toxic Psychosis from Sleeping Medicines
      Containing Scopolamine, New Eng. J. Med. 277:638-639, 1967.
      Bernstein, S., and Leff, R.: Toxic Psychoses From Over-the-Counter
      Preparations (Ltrs. to Ed.). Amer. J. Psychiat. 124:1270, 1968.
      Bradford. M. E.: More Cases of Atropinism (Ltrs. to Ed.), New Eng. J. Med.
      277:1209, 1967.
      Downing, D, F: "Psychotomimetic Compounds," in Gordon, M.:
      Psychopharmacological Agents. London: Academic Press, 1964, p. 579.
      Fink. P. J., Goldman, M. J.. and Lyons, I.: Morning Glory Seed Psychosis.
      Arch. Gen. Psychiat. 15:209-213, 1966.
      Keeler. M. H.: Adverse Reaction to Marihuana, Amer. J. Psychiat.
      124:674-677, 1967.
      Keeler. M. H., and Kane, F. J., Jr.: The Use of Hyoscyamine as a
      Hallucinogen and lntoxicant, Amer. J. Psychiat. 124:852-854, 1967.

      Last Modified - Thu, Jun 7, 2001 Used by Erowid without permission of author

      [ Back to Cannabis Vault ] [ Back to Cannabis References ]
      [Plants & Drugs] [Mind & Spirit] [Freedom & Law] [Arts & Sciences] [Library]
      [Search] [About]
      (html and design © 2001 Erowid.org. Please ask permission before publicly
      (Contents © respective copyright holders.)