why is hemp illegal?

  • DC Williams
    Message 1 of 1 , May 23, 2011

      Within three generations or less, entire countries, societies and even world populations tend to exhibit amnesia regarding environmental policies of the past. And Miami-Dade County is a perfect example of massive Lacunar Amnesia regarding the illegalization of Hemp.

      In 1937 the federal government made Hemp illegal prior to (but not during) and shortly after World War II. During the war effort, Hemp was grown and manufactured into products used to fight our enemies. However, after the war effort, Hemp products have since been replaced with petrol-plastics, synthetics and deforestation.

      While the above statements are based on facts, the truths of these facts dwell specifically within a cover-up and covert attack on the sovereignty of American Energy Independence. I’m talking incumbent monopolistic businesses like Big Oil guys and gals, and the only sovereignty they’re interested in is their own.

      Do you want to know why we can’t wean ourselves off of foreign oil? Foreign Oil is a made up expression—you can’t wean yourself off of something that doesn’t exist. The truth is Big Oil and associated industries don’t want hemp growing in their back yard. Why? It would mean an open market and free enterprise and quite possibly the end for them.

      Here are some statements to consider as we fight toward sustainable and clean societies:

      1) Foreign oil doesn’t exist. There are only conglomerates of companies on the international market that control and manipulate what we can and cannot use for fuel, structures, plastics, and a treasure trove of other products and uses.

      2) You are never going to be allowed to grow and use hemp if conglomerates like Big Oil, Pharma, Prison Industries and Textile Industries have anything to say about it.

      Unfortunately, conglomerates have a great deal to say about it. And the deal is rotten to the core.

      Hemp, though not a drug or narcotic, is lumped into the same controlled substance category as Marijuana (MJ). Marijuana has THC and gets you high; Hemp nullifies the effects of THC with CBD—you don’t get high, you grow sellable useful products. Moreover, Hemp, when grown in proximity to MJ, cross-pollinates MJ; rendering the first generation 50% less potent and every generation thereafter by another 50%.

      From a purely agricultural point of view, Hemp is a miracle plant via its various uses; and perhaps one of the greatest well-kept public secrets regarding the sequestering of CO2, decline in deforestation, a perfect rotation crop for corn cultivation (among others), new patent products for the USA, and a plentiful boon to economic market growth. Yet it is still illegal!

      According to Gale Glenn, former Vice Chair of the North American Industrial Hemp Council (NAIHC) there are unseen powers at work to scuttle Hemp production and cultivation.  While still serving on the board of the NAIHC, Ms. Glenn reported that 77% of Kentucky residents were polled as stating they were in favor of Hemp production, yet politicians never allowed the legislation or left it in committee. In her own words, ‘Politicians are afraid to support Hemp production because they think voters will think them soft on drugs. But people actually think them soft in the head.’

      And here is where the obvious is mixed-up with the perceived. Hemp is not and never was a drug. Now new light is shining on the obvious; there is more than a concerted push to keep it off the market.

      Some well known facts in the agro-industry signal more than compelling evidence to legalize the weed. For instance: It requires no chemical pesticide to grow; that’s very bad for agro-chemical manufactures.

      Additionally, the raw product can be used to make paper, polymers, feed-stock, plastics, bio-diesel, ethanol,  building materials, textiles, car bodies, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics and insulation materials…the list goes on and on; and of this abbreviated list, all of these products can be made cheaper, cleaner and more effectively than incumbent oil-based products. Are you starting to connect the dots?

      Seemingly, Hemp is a miracle plant and America’s answer to our drawn-out recession—except for one fact; it would level the playing field in a free market. And the powers that be, do not want a free market; they want status-quo. Unfortunately, the powers that be, control congress and while we gain ground yearly, the end is always the same. No, it will not go to vote. But even without congress—with a simple presidential order—Obama could make Hemp legal; but he hasn’t. Over 70 years have passed since it was removed from the commercial market. However:

      This year, Ron Paul, the senator from Texas, introduced HR 1831 (Industrial Hemp Farming Act of 2011). If you live in Miami or other recession hard-hit urban areas of the country, you’ll want to watch this bill as it makes it way through congress or never makes it past committee. Its passage or rejection will affect the prices at the pump and quite possibly any new business or jobs in your future.

      Meanwhile, if we keep poking, we’re bound to find the people responsible for the suppression of this job-creating, non drug, eco-friendly boon to our much needed economy.

      For more eye-opening information, please visit: Hemphasis and Legalizing industrial hemp

      Suggested by the author:

      http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/profile_small/hash/66/eb/66eb3ab907d3a68d532394e7953f0991.jpg

      By R.J. Peters

      Since 1999 Mr. Peters has worked in alternative energy and environmental innovation. He has consulted with over 70 companies regarding green...

      Read more