Central reunion: Ira sends his regrets

  • ZamoraKing@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2007
      Central reunion: Ira sends his regrets
      THE CLASS that graduated from Central High School in 1957 celebrated its 50th reunion at the Union League last weekend without the murderer.

      Eighty-two of 250 graduates attended. Many of them were sons (Central was boys-only in 1957) of non-English-speaking immigrants. These boys were the embodiment of the American Dream.

      Partygoers got a booklet, in which their classmates wrote brief autobiographies. Page after page of entrepreneurs, doctors, lawyers, real-estate moguls, showing that the dream came true.

      But none of them - not even Stanley A. Kraftsow, CEO of Craftmatic Industries (La Z Boy chairs!) - wrote an autobiography like the one penned by the class' most infamous alum: former planetary enzyme Ira Einhorn.

      Einhorn, 67, listed his address as Houtzdale, Pa., where, after 20 years on the lam, he is a lifetime guest of the commonwealth for murdering girlfriend Holly Maddux in 1977.

      Einhorn does not mention Maddux in his Central High bio. He does say that he left the money economy in 1963, "creating a lifestyle based on information transfer."

      He credits himself with "creating an international information network under the auspices of Bell of Pa. and AT&T . . . called the 'Internet before the Internet' that reached into 27 countries . . ."

      On his long list of accomplishments, Einhorn mentions the murder this way: "My inadvertent involvement in intelligence matters regarding the work of Tesla and Yugoslavia led to my being framed for a murder I did not commit."

      That's a reference to the late Serbian physicist Nikola Tesla, who was cited in Einhorn's "X-Files defense" at his 2002 trial. Tesla allegedly developed mind-control techniques for military use. Einhorn claimed to have been researching secret mind-control weapons when he was first arrested in 1979.

      As for his future, Einhorn wrote, "I need an honest courageous lawyer. Any help or communication would be appreciated."

      He says he needs his freedom "to work on the problems of climate change."

      Meanwhile, he's writing an autobiography and a book "specifically about my situation. Both should be published in 2008."

      Marshal "Mickey" Greenblatt, a retired engineer-entrepreneur who organized the class reunion, said the guests didn't give Einhorn much thought.

      "There was a random comment or two, but nobody wanted to spend a lot of time talking about a killer," Greenblatt said, "compounded by the fact he was a jerk even then."

      Greenblatt said Einhorn had a mean streak.

      "I remember one year Ira didn't have a locker for some reason, so this kid offered to share with him," Greenblatt recalled. "The next day, the kid's stuff was on the floor. Ira told him, 'There's no room for your stuff.' "

      http://www.philly.com/dailynews/local/20070608_Clout___Central_reunion__Ira_sends_his_regrets.html

      See what's free at AOL.com.