CONSERVATIVES WITHOUT CONSCIENCE

  • J. Nayer Hardin
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2007
      CONSERVATIVES WITHOUT CONSCIENCE
      By: John W. Dean (Penguin, 2006)

      BOOK REVIEW BY IRA EINHORN

      Until the November 2006 election, the USA was firmly in the hands of
      a cabal of secretive republican authoritarian leaders who were
      systematically destroying what was left of our democratic tradition
      and acting with such incompetence that most of the planet has totally
      lost faith in America as a bastion of freedom.

      Two men who had deep connections with republican politics, Kevin
      Philipps (book previously reviewed) and John Dean have written best
      about the rot and its underlying causes. What dean says in
      Conservatives Without Conscience is indicative of my feeling,
      expressed in another blog to accompany this one.

      His cogent, calm book based upon his own experience in government and
      an actual wake up telephone call from Mike Wallace of 60 Minutes that
      threw Dean back on the public stage as the result of a totally
      unfactual book that implicated him and his wife as the forces behind
      Watergate. A book that cost the publishers much money when Dean sued
      for libel.

      The incident brought about a desire to understand how the republican
      leadership could function in such a fraudulent incompetent manner.

      Conservatives Without Conscience is the result of his attempt to
      understand.

      I urge its reading, for in its short compass it explains quite
      clearly how men whose behavior has little to do with democracy were
      well on their way to dismantling the very fabric of our governmental
      structures when the 2006 election short circuited our march towards
      to fascism. This book helped produce that short circuit.

      It's method of analysis is based upon the psychological research of
      Bob Altemeyer whose book The Authoritarian Specter (Cambridge, MA:
      Harvard University Press, 1996) should be required reading for every
      voter who wishes to make sure it doesn't happen here.

      I read enormously.

      I have been horrified by the incompetent secretive behavior of W.
      Nerd Bush and friends. I have also been mystified by the failure of
      the media to complain about and to analyze their anti-American
      behavior.

      Dean has rectified that lack. Read him and then turn to Altmeyer. It
      will aide any sincere quest to provide a leadership whose intentions
      are democratic.

      The Bush/Cheney nightmare is not over, but Conservatives Without
      Conscience is indicative of our being close to awakening from the
      trauma.

      It is prophylactic. Use It.

      Ira Einhorn