  • J. Nayer Hardin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 17, 2007
      Posting From Ira Einhorn:

      If I am to believe the consensus of the letters and communication
      that I have received of late from those I most respect, time has run
      out on us and we are doomed as a civilization.

      Having led and participated in mass movements that changed the
      rhythms of my society, I cannot accept defeat so easily, though data
      overwhelms and that data, collected by others, is supported by my
      daily experience of

      happening before my eyes.

      It is January 4, 2007 in the mountains of West Central Pennsylvania
      as I write this.

      January here is normally frost, snow, chilling wind and cloud covered

      Yet all I have experienced since the end of summer – usually in early
      September – has been more summer and a perpetual spring that has
      brought almost no ground frost, no frost to speak of, balmy days,
      blue blue sky, a six day period after Thanksgiving filled with
      dandelions, flies, butterflies and bees and now in January mornings
      filled with bird song, for the birds seem to be nesting and think
      that spring has come.

      These changes are happening much faster than the models predict as
      the situation we are attempting to map is non-linear, in extreme
      perturbation and probably broken as the best informed thinker, James
      Lovelock, has recently declared.

      Terrorism, Iraq and the other headlines are minor compared to the
      threat we are facing, yet we are spending trillions ($1012) on such
      flea bites and almost nothing on the impending and ever accelerating
      disaster that threatens.

      The failure of leadership defies description.

      We need to create a planetary situation room that has a broadcast
      facility with satellite and internet links that slowly gears up to
      real-time coverage.

      We need to get the best on the planet involved in operation energy

      We need a global Manhattan Project directed toward perfecting new
      clean energy sources with a practical adjunct that produces new
      working models of everything that uses energy.

      We need thinkers focused on ecological economics, so that we can
      replace our present system manned by a blind priesthood. We need to

      the only value capitalism honors, with a broad measure of personal
      and ecological well-being.

      The concentration on survival, if done with calmness and
      determination, could provide a new focus for the present madness of
      consumption that is eating the planet alive.

      But, the time is very limited, for the human response to the coming
      environmental destruction will be far worse than the actual
      destruction itself.

      Once it gets going our civilization and our future will dissolve
      before our eyes.

      We built a bomb in a very short time.

      Surely we can mobilize to change our energy use when the threat is
      greater and the stakes are higher.

      Can't we? Or are my friends correct?

      Ira Einhorn
      January, 2007