The appeal decision

  • redemp1946
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 20, 2006
      Ira's appeal was rejected. That doesn't make his guilt one iota
      more or less certain than five minutes ago. In fact, I suspect the
      appeal decision has holes in it big enough to drive a truck through,
      but I'm not an attorney, I'm not able to assess that. If Ira could
      afford an attorney who is worth his salt, he might yet go free. If
      all the people who blew smoke up his ass before the accusation came
      to his defense with a few dollars in hand, he might have been able to
      afford a real attorney, not a couple of flakes from the public
      defender's office.
      There is a young man in my community, Zach R., who was accused of
      double homicide by a zealous DA who needed to pin the rap on someone.
      Anyone would do, and Zach had no money. He was represented by the
      public defender who advised Zach to plea insanity since he did, in
      fact, have a history of psychiatric illness. Zach refused. His family
      managed to persuade a courageous attorney, David Nick, to represent
      Zach, for a pittance. Nick believed in Zach.
      Two weeks ago, after spending four and a half years in custody, an
      appellate court threw out the charges, and Zach walked out of court a
      free man. The evidence had been bogus to begin with, and the D.A.
      knew it, even collaborated in it, and withheld other, exculpatory
      evidence. The exact same circumstances as Ira's. I have approached
      Nick about representing Ira, as well as Tony Serra, but these folks
      have to make a living.
      People who have been so quick to judge Ira might at least have the
      decency to try to conceal their glee. You come across like witches
      from MacBeth. It would do you well to remember the number of false
      convictions every year in this country and be glad that Ira has not
      been executed. I would like nothing better than to insist you eat
      your words when the identity of the true killer is established and
      Ira is exonerated. Even then, you probably will insist on Ira's
      guilt. Your sort is never wrong.
      Jim Sorrells, still seeking a fair trial for Ira, in Guerneville