Ira's lawyers hope to keep his defense real

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2002
      http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/4180399.htm

      Posted on Mon, Sep. 30, 2002

      Ira's lawyers hope to keep his defense real

      That may be difficult if he testifies

      By THERESA CONROY
      conroyt@...

      Related - SPECIAL SECTION: IRA EINHORN

      For nearly 25 years, Ira Einhorn has offered an outlandish defense for how
      the body of Holly Maddux wound up mummified inside a steamer trunk in his
      apartment.

      You see, it really was the CIA, FBI - maybe even the KGB - that killed
      Maddux and then put her body in the trunk, just to discredit Einhorn's
      groundbreaking work on psychic mind control, Einhorn has said.

      To add even more intrigue through the years, Einhorn padded the story with
      tales of UFOs, quantum physics, psychic phenomena, spoon-bender Uri Geller
      and telepathic transmissions from Russia.

      But with the "planetary enzyme's" murder retrial set to begin today, it's
      time for the rubber to meet the road - or, at least for the landing gear to
      meet the surface of the moon.

      William Cannon and Mitchell Strutin, the court-appointed attorneys defending
      the professional free-loader, want to keep their courtroom strategy as close
      to Earth as possible.

      "We're not going to try to prove who killed Holly. That's not our job.
      That's their job," Cannon said. "They have a theory of the case which we
      intend to attack."

      "Their theory is that on or about Sept. 11, 1977, Ira beat her to death in
      his apartment and put her in a trunk and there she lingered until her body
      was discovered 18 months later," he said.

      "Everything that makes that difficult to swallow helps us...We have an array
      of things to contradict that."

      Cannon said he intends to instill reasonable doubt in the jury by
      questioning three witnesses who say they saw Maddux months after Einhorn
      allegedly beat her to death.

      Two of those witnesses - a bank teller and bank security guard - testified
      during Einhorn's 1993 absentia trial but waffled under cross-examination.
      The new witness, former Philadelphia Police Officer George Draper, will make
      a strong statement, Cannon said.

      "He's adamant that he saw her alive and well in March of '78," Cannon said.
      "This guy's unshakeable."

      Cannon also plans to poke holes in prosecutor Joel Rosen's case by
      presenting expert forensic testimony that Maddux was not killed inside
      Einhorn's Powelton Village apartment.

      The scenario could work, except for that wild card: Putting the fanciful
      guru on the stand.

      Cannon said Einhorn is "prepared" to testify if needed.

      Other prominent Philadelphia defense attorneys said they doubt Einhorn's
      attorneys will be able to prevent him from taking the stand.

      "You can suggest to a client that it may be your opinion not to take the
      stand; however, that decision is left solely up to the client," said
      attorney C.P. Mirarchi. "You can stand on your head and say, no, you're not
      taking the stand, you're not taking the stand. He has the final say. I think
      it's going to be hard for [Einhorn] to say, no."

      That's when things get dangerous, Mirarchi said.

      "No matter how you rehearse it, if during the cross-examination by Joel
      [Rosen], he starts going off on a tangent because Joel knows where the
      bottom line is and starts asking it - starts asking about the Tooth Fairy
      and little green men and the CIA - he's going to feed into it."

      If Einhorn does get into mind-bending territory, "then he's on his own to
      explain that," Cannon said.

      He hasn't had much success with that in previous court appearances.

      During one of Einhorn's French extradition hearings, the fugitive took the
      witness stand only to spend 15 minutes rambling about "Star Trek," his
      friendships with pop singer Peter Gabriel and Yugoslavian officials and how
      scientists all over the world were counting on his research to save the
      planet.

      Looney or not, Einhorn has to testify in his defense, said criminal defense
      attorney Todd Henry. But, Henry said, those hours - or, in this case,
      perhaps, days - on the stand don't have to harm Einhorn's case.

      "I think in this case, realistically, he has to testify because he's an
      enigma, from what everybody has read about him," Henry said. "Many of [the
      jurors] may not even remember this case. They don't know who Ira Einhorn is.
      They don't know what he was and what he meant to the city, to the country,
      and - in his crazy mind - the world.

      "That can be used well in your defense. The guy gets up there and comes off
      totally wacky but can give you some tidbits that you can hang your hat on."

      To offer credible tidbits to the jury will require that Einhorn remain
      focused - something the perpetual blowhard may not be able to do.

      "If Mr. Einhorn testifies, there is a danger he will forget that he is on
      trial for his life and view the cross examination as a match of wits," said
      attorney Jules Epstein. "And that could prove devastating."
    • Jack Sarfatti
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2002
        Yes, if they have such a strong defense they would be nuts to put Ira on the
        stand. Ditto for me. As soon as we started telling the real Truth about the
        paranormal and UFOs et-al they would execute Ira and put me in a padded cell
        with John Nash. Nope, I am not going near Philly where they have reporters
        like this hack Witch Hunter Ms Conroy.

        Keep Ira from shooting himself in the foot. They have a strong case if
        George Draper does not get murdered before he testifies. I would not wish to
        be Draper right now. I hope he is packing a pistol and is a good shot. He
        needs to watch how he cross streets.

        Seriously, unless it's a lynching, all Ira's defense need do is have former
        Philadelphia Police Officer George Draper say he saw Holly alive AFTER Ira
        allegedly murdered her. Case over. Ira wins and is back in Champagne-Mouton
        where my ancestor Rashi des Troyes (1040 - 1105) came from.

        Ira is his own worst enemy right now. The simple folk on The Jury will not
        understand anything he says. So unless they want to cop an insanity pleas
        keep Ira and his equally nutty friends like me off the stand. With friends
        like me, Ira does not need enemies. :)