Re: Earth Day Defined

  • Jack Sarfatti
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 17, 2002
      This is vague New Sewage psychobabble.

      TrusteeOne@... wrote:
                                                            EARTH DAY DEFINED

      By John McConnell - Founder of Earth Day

      The first Earth Day was inaugurated on March 21, 1970.  Focussed on awareness of our planet and dedication to its care, it has a common theme people of all creeds and cultures can support -- peace, justice and the care of Earth.  Featured each year at the United Nations  with the ringing of the Peace Bell at the moment of the Equinox, it has inspired many efforts for resolution of conflict and care of the environment.

      Repeatedly, there have been efforts by partisan groups to distort its date, purpose and meaning for their advantage.  Earth Day should not be on any other day than the March Equinox or called by any other name to further a particular religion or special interest.

      The name "Earth Day"  and its observance on the March Equinox helped the environmental movement and aided the efforts that ended the Cold War.  To also call it "World Day" or any other name confuses the public.  While the name was intended to be used by the whole world, the word "Earth" is more suitable than "World."  The dictionary defines Earth as " The planet we inhabit."  While "world" is a synonym for Earth,  its many meanings and usage make it less suitable as the name for this global celebration.

      It is wrong to say "Make Earth Day Every Day"  that diminishes the annual event.  You would not seriously say "Make every day my birthday."  You could appropriately say, "Make every day an Earth Trustee Day."

      Understand Earth Day and you will help make our planet a place of peace, justice and prosperity for all.

      www.earthsite.org

      --
      "What I cannot create. I do not understand." Richard Feynman
       http://stardrive.org/Jack/cover.jpg