Military Info

  • Robyn MacMillan
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2006
      Just wanted to post something that I have not seen mentioned here. One other source of information is the Selective Service System. If you go to their website at http://www.sss.gov/RECORDS2.HTM it will tell you how to request copies of their registration cards for men born before 1960 and these records go back as far as World War 1. It is free, last I knew.

      When I wrote to them, oh so many months ago, I was hoping to find out who his wife was at the time he entered the military so that I could try to find out more about their marriage and how it ended. It took a few months because I didn't have all of the information they needed. Anyway, I got my copy in the mail yesterday and it not only gave his address at the time and his description, but also the first and middle names of his wife at the time! So now I can begin searching for their marriage records. I know that Ancestry.com has copies of the WW1 registration cards but they don't have the WW2 ones yet. You would need to request them from here. There are other links to get records on men born after 1960 also.

      Robyn MacMillan (one more brick out of that durn wall!)