Research Interests

  • James W. Neiers
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 9, 2008
      I notice there is little activity with this group and there has been no
      discussion posted in the last 30 days. Perhaps we just need to start
      talking about something. I do not no if a roll call is in order or not.
      What does the group think? Should we each list the major surnames we
      are researching? Perhaps we can make some useful connections.
      Alternatively, can we identify locals of major interest? I'm
      interested to see if this topic may bring on some discussion.

      Jim

      =====================
      Posted through Grouply, the better way
      to access your Yahoo Groups like this one.
      http://www.grouply.com/?code=post

      type_D
    • phyllis
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 10, 2008
        James,

        Instead of doing a roll call. I am going to list the counties that have an area of
        interest to me. Maybe then, someone who has an interest in the same county
        can ask a question.
        My counties are Shelby, Crawford, Harrison and Pottawattamie Counties.

        Phyllis

        >I notice there is little activity with this group and there has been no
        > discussion posted in the last 30 days. Perhaps we just need to start
        > talking about something. I do not no if a roll call is in order or not.
        > What does the group think? Should we each list the major surnames we
        > are researching? Perhaps we can make some useful connections.
        > Alternatively, can we identify locals of major interest? I'm
        > interested to see if this topic may bring on some discussion.
        >
        > Jim

      • James W. Neiers
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 10, 2008
          Phyllis,

          I think this is a good idea. Then as I or others encounter a family
          member in that location, we can search on it and find other
          researchers with possible similar interest. My primary counties are:
          Dubuque, Jones, and Jackson. I have some interest in Delaware,
          Buchannan, and Linn. I also have a few family members scattered in
          various locations in western Iowa.

          Jim

          --- In Iowa_Genealogy_Group@yahoogroups.com, "phyllis"
          <geniehelp@...> wrote:

          > James,
          >
          > Instead of doing a roll call. I am going to list the counties that
          have an area of
          > interest to me. Maybe then, someone who has an interest in the same
          county
          > can ask a question.
          > My counties are Shelby, Crawford, Harrison and Pottawattamie
          Counties.

          > Phyllis

        • sara kelly
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 10, 2008
            Jim,

            I am researching the Holladay family in Iowa.  Mainly around 76, Muscatine, Iowa.  Another name is Wiley.

            Sara, from  Montgomery and Tippecanoe Counties, Indiana

            >I notice there is little activity with this group and there has been no
            > discussion posted in the last 30 days. Perhaps we just need to start
            > talking about something. I do not no if a roll call is in order or not.
            > What does the group think? Should we each list the major surnames we
            > are researching? Perhaps we can make some useful connections.
            > Alternatively, can we identify locals of major interest? I'm
            > interested to see if this topic may bring on some discussion.
            >
            > Jim

          • Norman Wray
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 11, 2008
              Jim,

              My interests lie primarily in Lucas, Wayne, and Warren counties and
              with the family lines of the Gwinn's, Exley's and Boston's. Of
              course Genealogy doesn't lend itself well to borders and I often end
              up outside of those lines.

              I have cemetery books for all three counties, published family
              histories for the Gwinn, Boston, Exley, Lugar, Powell, Egbert and
              Westfall families and various other histories. I am will to do look
              ups.

              Ray

              --- In Iowa_Genealogy_Group@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Neiers"
              <neiersj@...> wrote:

              > I notice there is little activity with this group and there has
              been no
              > discussion posted in the last 30 days. Perhaps we just need to
              start
              > talking about something. I do not no if a roll call is in order or
              not.
              > What does the group think? Should we each list the major surnames
              we
              > are researching? Perhaps we can make some useful connections.
              > Alternatively, can we identify locals of major interest? I'm
              > interested to see if this topic may bring on some discussion.
              >
              > Jim
              >

              > =====================
              > Posted through Grouply, the better way
              > to access your Yahoo Groups like this one.
              > http://www.grouply.com/?code=post
              >

              > type_D

            • sfsmokey
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 11, 2008
                Most of my interests are in Jackson County.
                Ada Lanora Teters (1892-1987) m. William Franklin Croce (1886-1973)
                Joseph Walter Starr (1884-1962) m. Nellie Kitts (1884-1965)

                Other surnames are Sutton, Carter, Andrews, Hoyt

                Sherri
              • Maarten van Bruinessen
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 12, 2008

                  Jim,

                  There’s only one thing I’m looking for and it’s difficult to find for me is a marriage of two Dutch immigrants, Klaas (Nicholas/Nick) Nauta and Johanna Elisabeth (Anna) van Bruinesse.

                  They are supposed to be married in Cedar Rapids, Iowa in the beginning of the previous century.

                  Klaas/Nick Nauta arrived in the States in 1893 and Anna in 1903.

                  According to the obituary they were married in Cedar rapids, Linn County, Iowa.

                  In the 1910 census they lived in Duluth City, Minnesota and were married.

                  After that they moved to Wichita, Sedgwick County, Kansas where they both passed away.

                  Tried to get some info through the iowa department of Public Health, but without success.

                  Who can and wants to help me to find this marriage.

                  The only favour I can offer if someone has anchestors in Holland to try and find out over here.

                  Hopefully someone can help me.

                  Maarten van Bruinessen

                  The netherlands

                  ============ =========
                  Posted through Grouply, the better way
                  to access your Yahoo Groups like this one.
                  http://www.grouply. com/?code= post

                  type_D

                • Jim
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 12, 2008
                    Maarten,

                    I'm afraid I can't offer much help as I live in Alabama.  From my experience with Iowa marriage records, the state archives do not have many of the early records.  They are kept at the county court houses.  To further your difficulty, Cedar Rapids experienced sever flooding this summer and did loose many records.  I have a few suggestion for posts that may be beneficial.

                    1    Have you made any posting to the Iowa Genweb site for Linn County?  Someone may help you there.  Perhaps you can get a lead on a likely church wedding and have some success with church records.

                    2    Have you tried the LDS church records available through the local LDS family center?  They did microfilm most of the Iowa county records during the 1960s.  They probably did Linn County.

                    3    Try a post to Polk County which is the county for Des Moines.  The Iowa historical society has a great library of genealogical records and you may find a volunteer to help you there.

                    4    You may also want to post on Ancestry and Genealogy sites for both Linn and Polk county as well as the Charter Pierce group.  I'm not sure what the requirements are, but I do not think you need a paid subscription for any of them, but I may be mistaken.  Remember there are both posting and email lists and both can be effective.

                    Hope these suggestions work out for you.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 12, 2008
                      Maarten,

                      I checked my copy of Early Iowa Marraiges and do not see either last
                      name. I tried several spelling variations and both with and without
                      the 'van'.

                      Cedar Rapids is not a border city, but Duluth is. Duluth MN is a
                      sister city with Superior, Wisconsin

                      Sorry I couldn't be more help.

                      Ray

                      --- In Iowa_Genealogy_Group@yahoogroups.com, "Maarten van Bruinessen"
                      <van.bruinessen@...> wrote:

                      > Jim,
                      >

                      > There's only one thing I'm looking for and it's difficult to find
                      for me is
                      > a marriage of two Dutch immigrants, Klaas (Nicholas/Nick) Nauta and
                      Johanna
                      > Elisabeth (Anna) van Bruinesse.
                      >
                      > They are supposed to be married in Cedar Rapids, Iowa in the
                      beginning of
                      > the previous century.
                      >
                      > Klaas/Nick Nauta arrived in the States in 1893 and Anna in 1903.
                      >

                      > According to the obituary they were married in Cedar rapids, Linn
                      County,
                      > Iowa.
                      >

                      > In the 1910 census they lived in Duluth City, Minnesota and were
                      married.

                      > After that they moved to Wichita, Sedgwick County, Kansas where
                      they both
                      > passed away.
                      >
                      > Tried to get some info through the iowa department of Public
                      Health, but
                      > without success.
                      >

                      > Who can and wants to help me to find this marriage.
                      >

                      > The only favour I can offer if someone has anchestors in Holland to
                      try and
                      > find out over here.
                      >

                      > Hopefully someone can help me.
                      >

                      > Maarten van Bruinessen
                      >
                      > The netherlands
                      >

                      > _____

                      code=post

                      > type_D

                    • Jackie
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 14, 2008
                        Most of my interest is in POWESHIEK County, specifically for these
                        surnames FRY, HARRY, SOPER. Those are the only three I can think of at
                        the moment. The Frys came from Ohio, specifically Tuscarawas County,
                        and were Moravian.

                        Jackie

                        <neiersj@...> wrote:

                        > I notice there is little activity with this group and there has been no
                        > discussion posted in the last 30 days. Perhaps we just need to start
                        > talking about something. I do not no if a roll call is in order or not.
                        > What does the group think? Should we each list the major surnames we
                        > are researching? Perhaps we can make some useful connections.
                        > Alternatively, can we identify locals of major interest? I'm
                        > interested to see if this topic may bring on some discussion.
                        >
                        > Jim
                        >

                        > =====================
                        > Posted through Grouply, the better way
                        > to access your Yahoo Groups like this one.
                        > http://www.grouply.com/?code=post
                        >

                        > type_D

                      • justgenealogy
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 15, 2008
                          James and Group,

                          I several counties in Iowa that I search for more family information they are as follows:

                          County: Madison (some before 1860)
                          Surnames: Rankin, Schoch, Moore, Hole, Hogg (no it isn't a joke these are the names)

                          County: Wayne (on 1856 State Census)
                          Surnames: Rankin and McKelvey

                          County: Warren (before 1860)
                          Surname: Viers and Shook

                          County: Clayton (before 1850)
                          Surnames: Moore and Sparks

                          County: Henry (before 1850)
                          Surnames: Hole and Peckover

                          County: Jasper (around 1860)
                          Surnames: Rankin, Lilley/Lilly, Viers/Viers

                          County: Johnson, Cedar, Scott (after 1870)
                          Surname: Stiff

                          A few of these families migrated to the neighboring counties occassionaly also.

                          Debra Stiff Monsive
                          Oregon

                          <geniehelp@. ..> wrote:

                          > James,
                          >
                          > Instead of doing a roll call. I am going to list the counties that
                          have an area of
                          > interest to me. Maybe then, someone who has an interest in the same
                          county
                          > can ask a question.
                          > My counties are Shelby, Crawford, Harrison and Pottawattamie
                          Counties.

                          > Phyllis

                        • Maarten van Bruinessen
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 15, 2008

                            Thanks anyway, I’m sure it must be Cedar Rapids. In the obituary it was mentioned, I don’t suppose that they made a mistake there.

                            <van.bruinessen@ ...> wrote:

                            > Jim,
                            >

                            > There's only one thing I'm looking for and it's difficult to find
                            for me is
                            > a marriage of two Dutch immigrants, Klaas (Nicholas/Nick) Nauta and
                            Johanna
                            > Elisabeth (Anna) van Bruinesse.
                            >
                            > They are supposed to be married in Cedar Rapids, Iowa in the
                            beginning of
                            > the previous century.
                            >
                            > Klaas/Nick Nauta arrived in the States in 1893 and Anna in 1903.
                            >

                            > According to the obituary they were married in Cedar rapids, Linn
                            County,
                            > Iowa.
                            >

                            > In the 1910 census they lived in Duluth City, Minnesota and were
                            married.

                            > After that they moved to Wichita, Sedgwick County, Kansas where
                            they both
                            > passed away.
                            >
                            > Tried to get some info through the iowa department of Public
                            Health, but
                            > without success.
                            >

                            > Who can and wants to help me to find this marriage.
                            >

                            > The only favour I can offer if someone has anchestors in Holland to
                            try and
                            > find out over here.
                            >

                            > Hopefully someone can help me.
                            >

                            > Maarten van Bruinessen