Re: [LLSinterpreters] Re: Intranet

  • hari carr
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 30, 2007
      Yes, by the way, I just got two short calls -- a consolation for logging in--Think positive

      Brenda Fortune <bvfortune@...> wrote:
      Hari, are you a contractor?

      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 30, 2007
        That's right.  But where I live (in the middle of nowhere) there aren't many other alternatives. Learning Spanish?  Ah, muchas gracias.  Pero no pienso que ......(there I'm stuck)...I don't think I will be able to talk like a rapid bullet train like you guys!

        queenmum9195 <queenmum9195@...> wrote:
        That is so sad, if you are a contract interpreter that means $0 for
        you. Who can afford that? Want to learn spanish!!! I'm sure you are
        very talented when it comes to languages.

        --- In LLSinterpreters@ yahoogroups. com, hari carr
        <harikentari2000@ ...> wrote:

        > I'm an Indonesian interpreter and I have not had any calls this
        morning, except for a wrong language! I may decrease my log in time
        if this trend continues.

        > "Lily B. Montes" <lilybm@...> wrote:
        Wow SPAN is back to back... I don't know about the other languages
        but I haven't had any time in between calls.

        > kompili <kompili@... > wrote:
        > Isn't Friday a lovely day to perform a system maintenance?
        We're not
        > busy at all on Fridays... perfect day.
        >
        > --- In LLSinterpreters@ yahoogroups. com, "lynlovely1000"
        > <lynlovely1000@ > wrote:
        > >
        > > RDI is not working as well and now, fianally, popped up a message
        > > saying: We are currently performing system maintenance and you
        will
        > > be unable to log on during this time. Please check back later.
        > > Great!
        > >
        > > --- In LLSinterpreters@ yahoogroups. com, "lynlovely1000"
        > > <lynlovely1000@ > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > They just replied saying that intranet is down for testing... I
        > > wonder
        > > > why they wouldn't put a message there instead of making us
        think
        > > our
        > > > password is incorrect?
        > > >
        > > > --- In LLSinterpreters@ yahoogroups. com, "lynlovely1000"

        > ------------ --------- --------- ---
        > Get easy, one-click access to your favorites. Make Yahoo! your
        homepage.

        > ------------ --------- --------- ---
        > Be a better sports nut! Let your teams follow you with Yahoo
        Mobile. Try it now.

      • utopianeat
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 2, 2007
          So let see if I understand. Contractors can login and logout whenever
          they want? And for how many hours are they allowed to do so?

          wrote:

          > Yes, by the way, I just got two short calls -- a consolation for
          logging in--Think positive

        • hari carr
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 2, 2007
            Well, yes and no.  We're expected to log in as much as possible so that LLS will always have a coverage--therefore, better customer service, which translates to better business.  When I signed up, they asked me to take night calls as well-- which I agreed since we're retired and need some income to help with our SSI.   But in reality, it is hard to remain logged in when business is very slow.  We all have better things to do than sitting by the phone, unpaid.  So, when it is slow, I don't log in quite as much--but they can always call me anytime--it's only fair.

            Although I would like to take a lot of calls to make more money, I do understand the nature of the business.  Not many Indonesians need help constantly, or when they do, we cannot predict the time. We'll never know when they'll get a car accident and need help with an insurance claim, or when they have to take their kid to the E.R for example.  It's just the luck of the draw. Therefore, not all interpreters are "equal."  This is dependent on the language--and the supply and demand.  I know from my Orientation day that there are some laguages whose interpreters are not required to log in at all because of the VERY low demand.  Since there are a lot more Hispanic population than say, Indonesian,  Danish, or Swedish etc-- the need for Spanish is the greatest-- as you can tell from this mail group and the LLS Forum..

            I hope this helps.

            cheers,
            hari

            utopianeat <utopianeat@...>