Coaching Exercise: Wheel of Life

  • Doug J Constant
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2004
      Hi Everyone,

      Here is a really cool coaching exercise that I use most clients. I was
      asked by someone to supply a blank Wheel of Life. Here is the information
      along with how to use this incredible tool! This is a free gift and we
      are a non-profit group which seeks only to develop people and assist
      others in development. This exercise works wonders with:

      OD Diagnosis
      Assessing Children
      Self-discovery - EQ
      AI Practice
      (and MORE)

      Wheel of Life
      I have placed a blank really cool wheel of life in my files section of my
      (requires free registration)

      My wheel has the following eight "spokes"

      1. HEALTH
      2. FAMILY
      3. SOCIAL
      4. WORK

      I included two documents. The first is a Word doc which is a detailed
      text explanation of each of the eight spokes. The second is a Powerpoint
      doc whish ha three slides:
      1. Blank Wheel - for client to take notes
      2. Detailed Wheel - with brief descriptions of each spoke
      3. Wheel Assessment - for client to assess themselves on each spoke.

      The documents are editable and you can change the names of the spokes if
      you desire or remove the names all together.

      In the files section you will find several hundred free downloadable
      assessments, group coaching exercises, power quote docs, team building
      stuff and a whole bunch more...it is a powerful set of documents!

      How I use the Wheel of Life
      I begin with a discussion on balance:

      "Is there any such thing as life balance?"

      Many believe yes many believe no...some just don't know. Then, I tell my
      story of going to the circus. I always ask people questions to better
      understand people and to create examples, case studies or motivational
      mini-stories (like this one). There was a guy at the circus that balanced
      stuff...cups, plated, broom sticks and a bunch of other odd objects. I
      was astounded...so I followed him out (of course, to ask questions.) I
      asked "What is your secret to balancing?" (my intent was to get his
      secret to balance then I could share it with my coaching clients.)

      He was perturbed and responded, "There is no such thing as balance." I
      was devastated because I saw a really good story in the making and now
      this circus artist was walking away. In my shocked state, I yelled back,
      "But, sir I just watched you balance 30-40 items one on top of the

      He turned around and angrily said "IF you were watching you saw NO
      balance at all...everything was in total movement. It was up to me to
      keep it all from crashing." He then turned and left quickly ignoring my
      pleas for more information.

      The Wheel of life is just that...there are many areas (spokes) in my life
      and all are in constant flux...ever moving...ever changing. I NEVER reach
      this utopia of balance...strive, yes....achieve...NO WAY! The minute my
      finances are straight, I have an argument with my wife. Once I have my
      career spoke clicking, my health begins to fail. Once I start developing
      (like participating in the CTI discussion group) then my family suffers.
      If I am in a group setting I get a broom and balance it on one finger as
      I explain all of the above. I will eventually let the broom drop and show
      what happens if I do not work on ALL spokes...things come crashing down.

      I then begin a discussion on each of the spokes. (I am working on an
      assessment to remove my mini-lecture here.) Once I have explain the
      spokes I then have them assess their spokes (this is one of the
      slides/pages in the PowerPoint listed above.):

      - They score them selves by placing a dot on the number that best
      represents each spoke (1 = poor, 10 = you teach a class on the subject)

      - The I ask them to connect the dots.

      - I then ask for a volunteer to give me their numbers (1-10) from their
      assessment of each of the spokes (I do not ask for the spoke name, just
      the numbers.

      - Then I record these numbers on a prepared flip chart with a wheel if it
      is a live session.

      - Then I ask "If you just bought four new tires and you drove away from
      the store with the tire (wheel) you have just drawn...how happy would you

      Added discussion
      1. Protrusions: areas - spokes that stick way out.
      Learning lesson: Over time these will eventually be whittled down to the
      lower scoring spokes.

      2. Hubs - they score 4-5 on everything. I give a visual of two trucks. A
      monster truck and a match-box truck.
      Learning lesson: One revolution on the monster truck's wheels will bring
      the truck across the room. One revolution on the match-box truck's
      wheels will yield less than a few centimeters.

      I also, allow the group to determine their OWN eight areas and use the
      exercise as above. Feel free to use my material as needed.

      Hope it helps,

      Doug Constant
      OnPoint Learning, LLC
      To Subscribe send a blank email to: