RE: [Intelligence_Training] FW: S2 Institute Brings Advanced-Level Anti-Terrorism Training to the Web

  • Raymond E. Foster
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 20, 2005

      Greetings All:

      Nearly the same course content is available online at the FEMA website.  While there are no slick videos, the course material seems to be about the same. Moreover, the FEMA site is free, there are 20-25 online course and you get an official certificate of completion from FEMA.

      Raymond

      www.hitechcj.com

      Message 2 of 4 , May 13, 2005
        The FEMA programs are good for beginning level students, but the
        content tends to be very generic and very watered down. But still
        for a FREE program, all-an-all very useful for basic do's and
        dont's.

        By contrast, the content within the S2 programs is light years ahead
        of the FEMA courses and is aimed directly at serious working
        practitioners. A lot of the info in the S2 courses is not in the
        FEMA courses at all, such as advanced issues regarding
        counterintelligence and OPSEC, threat modus operandi, advanced
        physical security, and response to a wide range of terrorist events.
        This difference is especially evident in the training regarding
        terrorist methods. Just on the subject of bombs, the S2 course has
        over 3 hours on IEDs and IED attack methods. As for chem-bio
        terrorism, the S2 CB Terrorism course is completely unique and is
        way beyond anything presented in FEMA's courses or any other
        emergency responder courses for that matter.

        Probably a better way to view it is like this…the FEMA courses are
        sort of like junior college level programs, while the S2 courses are
        more like Yale graduate courses. They both serve a function.

        Please see the reviewers statements:
        http://www.s2institute.com/content/_pages_about/quotes.php
      • Marc DeRodes
        Message 3 of 4 , May 27, 2005
          --- timotimorourkecpsmotimorourkecpsoo.com> wrote:

          > The FEMAFEMAgrams are good for beginning level
          > students, but the
          > content tends to be very generic and very watered
          > down. But still
          > for a FREE program, all-an-all very useful for basic
          > do'sdo's
          > dontdont's>
          > By contrast, the content within the S2 programs is
          > light years ahead
          > of the FEMAFEMArses and is aimed directly at serious
          > working
          > practitioners. A lot of the info in the S2 courses
          > is not in the
          > FEMAFEMArses at all, such as advanced issues
          > regarding
          > counterintelligence and OPSEOPSECreat modus
          > operandi, advanced
          > physical security, and response to a wide range of
          > terrorist events.
          > This difference is especially evident in the
          > training regarding
          > terrorist methods. Just on the subject of bombs, the
          > S2 course has
          > over 3 hours on IEDsIEDs IED IEDack methods. As for
          > chem-bio bio terrorism, the S2 CB Terrorism course
          is completely
          > unique and is
          > way beyond anything presented in FEMAFEMA'srses or
          > any other
          > emergency responder courses for that matter.
          >
          > Probably a better way to view it is like this…the
          > FEMAFEMArses are
          > sort of like junior college level programs, while
          > the S2 courses are
          > more like Yale graduate courses. They both serve a
          > function.
          >
          > Please see the reviewers statements:

          httphttpww.wwwnstitute.com/content/_pages_about/quotes.php
          php

          The prices seem very reasonable, as well.Perhaps we
          shouldn't be so liberal in sharing this asset ;) I'm
          still trying to hitch a free ride on another online
          program, but seem to be meeting some resistance. I did
          look at S2's syllabus, and was most impressed,
          especially when comparing it to other "intelligence"
          schools. I agree with you that the FEMA courses are
          pretty weak, but the lack of content could be
          supplimented with manuals and books, provided that the
          would-be student knows how to distinguish genuine
          tradecraft from spy novel fluff. All things
          considered, It's pretty amazing what you can learn for
          free, provided that you know how to look for it; but
          like most things in life, you usually get what you pay for.