In last 7 days
The effort in Virginia to implement majority rule reform: the instant runoff. This simple change to our voting system requires the winner of an election to earn 50% of the vote. Voters get to rank their candidates, ending the talk of 'spoilers' or 'wasted votes.' If no one gets a majority of first place votes (a president hasn't done that since the 1980s), the losing candidate is eliminated, and like a runoff election, his supporters choose their second-choice candidate. This process of instant runoffs continues until one candidate earns a majority. Used in Ireland and Australia, the instant runoff will avoid the chaos of the 2000 presidential election and ensure our elected officials have the broadest amount of support.
- Campaigns and Elections
- Nov 21, 2000
- This is a public group.
- Attachments are permitted.
- Members cannot hide email address.
- Listed in Yahoo Groups directory.
- Membership does not require approval.
- Messages from new members require approval.
- All members can post messages.
Group Email Addresses