Anyone know Common Cause, Sierra Club or LWV?

  • Dan Johnson-Weinberger
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2001
      Does anyone have any contacts with the state chapters of any of those
      groups? (Common Cause, Sierra Club or LWV). They have all been very
      friendly to instant runoff voting, so we should see where the state
      chapters are.

      Is there any interest in a meeting in Virginia to get things rolling
      the week of March 12th? Perhaps we can meet somewhere in DC for
      dinner and start things up.

      Dan Johnson-Weinberger
      National Field Director
      Center for Voting and Democracy
      www.fairvote.org
      djw@...
    • chrispybrown@IWon.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 5, 2001
        I met Mr. Besa at our local Green Party of Richmond meeting last week.
        I don't know if he will be any help in your efforts but he struck me as
        an extremely competent and valuable ally to have.

        Chris Brown

        Glen Besa, Director
        Sierra Club Virginia Chapter
        6 N. 6th St, Suite 401
        Richmond, VA 23219
        804-225-9113/ FAX 804-225-9114
        glenbesa@...

        >Does anyone have any contacts with the state chapters of any of those
        >groups? (Common Cause, Sierra Club or LWV). They have all been very
        >friendly to instant runoff voting, so we should see where the state
        >chapters are.
        >
        >Is there any interest in a meeting in Virginia to get things rolling
        >the week of March 12th? Perhaps we can meet somewhere in DC for
        >dinner and start things up.
        >
        >Dan Johnson-Weinberger
        >National Field Director
        >Center for Voting and Democracy
        >www.fairvote.org
        >djw@...

        iWon <http://www.iwon.com/> - Voted the #1 portal on the Web!
      • Sherry Stanley
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 5, 2001
          It's next to impossible for me to get to D.C. during the week since I'm a
          teacher. I may be in D.C. either Saturday or Sunday for a few hours,
          but not sure of that. However, I would like to help coordinate possible
          educational opportunities in the western part of the state. Three of the
          Green locals in this area are planning to do some networking and educating
          ourselves so please let me know what's going on.

          Also, my local is ready to order literature for tabling and I'll get in
          touch with you soon.

          I have primary contacts in the Sierra Club. Could you give me some advice
          on approaching them? In what ways have they been helpful in other states?

          Sherry

          > Does anyone have any contacts with the state chapters of any of those
          > groups? (Common Cause, Sierra Club or LWV). They have all been very
          > friendly to instant runoff voting, so we should see where the state
          > chapters are.
          >
          > Is there any interest in a meeting in Virginia to get things rolling
          > the week of March 12th? Perhaps we can meet somewhere in DC for
          > dinner and start things up.
          >
          > Dan Johnson-Weinberger
          > National Field Director
          > Center for Voting and Democracy
          > www.fairvote.org
          > djw@...

        • Dan Johnson-Weinberger
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 17, 2001
            Hi all,

            One good way to approach the Sierra Club is to note that they have
            endorsed instant runoff voting. They did that shortly before the
            election. They ran a good piece on instant runoff voting in their
            national magazine after the election, so some people within Sierra
            are for it. Most people, probably, have never heard of it within the
            organization.

            So a good thing to ask the Sierra Club of Virginia is to write an
            article for their newsletter, and invite people to join our brand new
            effort to implement instant runoff voting. If we had a Virginia
            website (any quick-and-dirty webmasters willing to buy a cool domain
            name?), we could reference that in the article, and ask them to join
            the list. Or we can just reference them to CVD at www.fairvote.org or
            instantrunoff.com where they can find the Virginia list.

            The angelenos chapter of sierra (LA) is co-sponsoring our March 24th
            conference in LA on electoral reform.

            Perhaps we should have a conference in the early part of the summer.

            Dan

            --- In InstantRunoffVA@y..., "Sherry Stanley" <sastanle@r...> wrote:
            > It's next to impossible for me to get to D.C. during the week since
            I'm a
            > teacher. I may be in D.C. either Saturday or Sunday for a few
            hours,
            > but not sure of that. However, I would like to help coordinate
            possible
            > educational opportunities in the western part of the state.
            Three of the
            > Green locals in this area are planning to do some networking and
            educating
            > ourselves so please let me know what's going on.
            >
            > Also, my local is ready to order literature for tabling and I'll
            get in
            > touch with you soon.
            >
            > I have primary contacts in the Sierra Club. Could you give me
            some advice
            > on approaching them? In what ways have they been helpful in
            other states?

            > Sherry

            LWV?

            > > Does anyone have any contacts with the state chapters of any of
            those
            > > groups? (Common Cause, Sierra Club or LWV). They have all been
            very
            > > friendly to instant runoff voting, so we should see where the
            state
            > > chapters are.
            > >
            > > Is there any interest in a meeting in Virginia to get things
            rolling
            > > the week of March 12th? Perhaps we can meet somewhere in DC for
            > > dinner and start things up.
            > >
            > > Dan Johnson-Weinberger
            > > National Field Director
            > > Center for Voting and Democracy
            > > www.fairvote.org
            > > djw@i...

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • William Redpath
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 19, 2001
              Dan--Sorry for the terribly delayed response to this. Beyond my
              gubernatorial campaign, I would like to meet other Virginians who like IRV.
              Perhaps they could get some signatures for me. I'm open for dinner,
              assuming the date and time work for me. Bill Redpath