Richmond, Virginia

  • tommy
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 7, 2003
      More news regarding the mayor-at-large proposal. According to this
      article runoffs are part of the plan. How hard would it be to include
      support for instant runoffs here?

      http://www.timesdispatch.com/frontpage/MGB693ZSLAD.html
    • witof7
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 7, 2003
        Here in Culpeper County, we also use the lever machines...

        Let me know what I can do. I am a mom of five and pretty busy at that with
        career and all. BUt if someone could give me a guideline of steps to take in
        helping IRV to be accepted, I'd do it in a heartbeat!

        Jen

        > I think the large hurdle facing IRV in Richmond are the balloting
        machines. I believe that most districts (or at least a lot of districts)
        still use mechanical lever machines. I know the district I voted in until
        this year still used a lever machine.

        > But it's definitely still worth trying to get someone's attention. My idea
        would be to circumvent the issue of machines by getting them to include
        mandatory IRV in mayoral races once the election machines are capable
        handling it. Up until then, it could go by conventional runoffs. This would
        then give them an incentive to pay for new machines because the cost would
        be offset by the savings from not having a second election for runoffs.

        > Does anyone know how to contact anyone from the committee? I'll volunteer
        to contact them, but first I have to figure out how. If someone who actually
        votes in the city would be willing to talk to them, that would be better.